Competition for DVD? New "D-VHS" format discussion
Aug 5, 2002 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

royboy2k

100+ Head-Fier
Link to AudioAdvisor product page

So maybe I'm behind the times but this is the first I've seen of this "Digital VHS" format. Apparently it's a new form of VHS that is capable of holding 50GB of data per cassette. That capacity allows it to hold high definition video (1080i?) and multi-channel sound, etc etc. Oh, and it's still backwards-compatible with S-VHS and regular VHS. The link has more info.

So what do you guys think? Will it be any competion for DVD, or will they counter with the blue laser (I forgot how much data that holds)? Either way it looks like a nice way to record HDTV broadcasts.

Let me know if I'm missing something or if this format is totally irrelevent.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2002 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 14
i first heard about this like two years ago, glad to have an update. the advantage of this format is that it allows the video (and audio) to be stored uncompressed. none of that mpeg2 ****, just uncompressed which should VASTLY improve the image. they also think that since this video size is so large, pirates will not be able to rip it.. yeah right. like they don't recompress all dvds anyway..

but yeah, seems cool. d-vhs sounds neat but i like my dvds so we'll see what happens. one thing is i'm not sure if you have to rewind or not, which would really suck. i am TOTALLY spoiled by my dvds in that respect.

it seems like it may fall victim to the fatal consumer law: just because it's better, doesn't mean it will win. it may have a fate similar to laserdisc where only a certain subculture filled with a tiny-percentage of consumers who are quality freaks looking for better picture, sound etc. oh well, we'll see what happens. i still want to know whether to get a dvd-rw or dvd+rw drive..

Aug 5, 2002 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 14
uggg, tapes.

I don't know about everyone else, but the thing I really like about DVDs is the ability to go to any point in the movie, instantly. There is just no way a tape can do that. Waiting sucks. What if you have to record something now but you are in the middle of the tape? The new blue-laser formats (I don't think they will be called DVDs) won't have that trouble.

I just really dislike tapes. I want to see them fizzle out and die as a recording medium.

btw: I think the the blue-laser formats will have around a 50GB storage capacity.

Aug 5, 2002 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 14
Bah, dvd is great enough and dvd recorders will probably become cheaper in a couple of years. Anyways it will all be gone in a couple of years when your tv is sold with a monster hard drive for recording whatever you like, and when the video store is online trough the tv enabling you to download any movie you like in a couple of seconds.

In "a couple of years" your tv wont even be a tv anymore, it'll be a computer. And you might as well toss away all those stupid cd's and dvds since such storage devices will be completely outdated once nanotechnology grows. Hell, I predict that in 10 years EVERYTHING will be online. Videos, games, perhaps even music will be bought online and instantly downloaded to your 100000 terabyte nanotech harddisk. And then transfrerred into the cdplayer inside your brain that does not produce sound, but rather simply tricks the brain to think it´s hearing music by sending electronic impulses to a certain part of the brain.

Aug 5, 2002 at 9:12 PM Post #6 of 14
Heh I think the "cdplayer inside your brain" is a little much.
biggrin.gif
Your other predictions are probably not too far off though, Flasken. It's exciting and scary to think about.

Yeah I forgot about rewinding. Screw that!

The real good thing I see about D-VHS is that it's available NOW (though only rich people will buy it
frown.gif
mad.gif
), so it will force them (the companies I guess) to get their asses moving on HD-DVD.

And yeah hard disk recording will probably be better for recording HDTV as well.

Aug 5, 2002 at 9:30 PM Post #8 of 14
I'm spoiled by dvds. Tapes. ew. . .

Heck, its been proven! Do you think joe blow will really CARE about improved picture quality? Maybe some of us do. When HD dvds come out, imho, d-vhs will be but a memory. . .

Aug 5, 2002 at 9:41 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by royboy2k
Heh I think the "cdplayer inside your brain" is a little much.
biggrin.gif

But I do like the idea!! They have machines in the Matrix that trick the brain into thinking it's seeing, hearing and feeling a whole world of other people...

Man, if suchs brain-chips were to become a reality think of all that would be possible!!!! Absolutely everything!!

Holy ****, i would be making out with celebrities all the time!!

very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 5, 2002 at 11:50 PM Post #10 of 14
CaptBubba
HI: Is that a new puppy? Is it a black lavador. He or she is really cute. Good luck with the pup

Aug 6, 2002 at 12:03 AM Post #11 of 14
about 12 years too late, dont ya think?

This would've been far better received back then, not now.

As everyone else, i prefer dvd's due to the search features and the fact that dvds wont degrade unlike film/tapes.

Aug 6, 2002 at 1:13 AM Post #12 of 14
eh...seems like the DAT of home video. Probabally a nice format, but I don't think it will catch on.

Aug 6, 2002 at 1:28 AM Post #13 of 14
hd-dvd has been stagnating for a while now due to competition for format: red or blue laser. hd-dvd news (scroll to the bottom)

like someone else pointed out jvc's d-vhs format does not allow instant track access, and you can forget about menus, and traditional dvd-style extra features and easter eggs, etc. also, unless they've upgraded tape technology it, it can get dropouts, and have a shorter life span than dvd.

however, i haven't compared the video and audio quality of d-vhs vs. hd-dvd yet. if d-vhs is the clear winner i'd be willing to accept the drawbacks of vhs for a better esthetic experience. i'm really excited to see both asap.

Aug 6, 2002 at 3:45 AM Post #14 of 14
redshifter: but will the average consumer accept it?

I'm guessing DVD will stick around. Sure, it will change for HD, and it will gain higher capacities. . . but it seems like consumers are embracing DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back