Compass vs EF2 vs Pico for Denon AH D2000/D5000
Aug 17, 2009 at 8:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

berryjuice

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm currently on the market for a new AMP/DAC combo and I've drilled down my choices with the ff.:
1. Audio GD's Compass
2. Head Direct's Hifiman EF2
3. Headamp's Pico
Edit: 4. iBasso D10 Cobra

Haven't had much luck on finding a review comparing any of these four. I know it sounds unfair since each product are designed for a specific purpose, Pico and D10 for portability and the other two for sitting on the desk. Setting cost and portability aside, which do you think is the best among the four sound quality-wise when used as an AMP and DAC on stock.

The headphone I will be using will be either a Denon AH D2000 or the D5000. Haven't decided yet which one I'll get but I'm leaning on getting the D2000 since it's cheaper though I'll give the D5000 a serious chance. I'm just looking for more reasons why I should get the D5000. I'm a bit hesitant on getting the D5000 since I'll just be using any of those AMP/DAC and I might not use its full potential though I heard the drivers of D2000 and D5000 are the same, just a different cable and cups. MRARROYO also advised me just to buy the D2000 and save the money for a good re-cable and MarkL mods but I don't have the privelege to MOD the cans since no one in our country (Philippines) offers these services, I think...

This will be mainly used in the office and that's the sole reason why I can only purchase close cups since I don't want to disturb anyone beside me. My setup would probably be much like this: FLAC files -> Desktop -> USB -> AMP/DAC -> D2000/D5000. The genres I will be listening to are pop, r&b, indie and chill-out music. I really like the design of Pico since it will look very discrete when used in the office instead of the industrial looking Compass and EF2, but what I really want to know is how each of these AMP/DAC will perform with the Denon headphones and which sounds the best.

It will also be greatly appreciated if you guys can recommend a better AMP/DAC at about $500, but so far these are the things I'm aiming at.

Thanks!

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #2 of 7
FWIR, the EF2 has amazing synergy w/ Denon. For $500, I would get a Pico DAC feeding into a EF2, relatively small footprint with huge sound. But I'm a bit biased
tongue.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 7
I can't comment of the ibasso or the EF2 as I have not heard them, but I used to own a Compass and now own a Pico. Now, this is going off from memory so take this for what it's worth. I feel the DAC of the Pico is significantly better than the Compass DAC. Which is the better of the two amps will depend on your needs. Although I feel that the Pico's amp is more neutral and better sounding than the Compass amp, it seriously lacks power compared to the Compass being a portable. If you're using hard to power headphones, then the Compass would be a better choice than just the Pico; if you're using easy to drive headphones, then I feel the Pico would sound much better than the Compass. With my K500, I feel that the sound of the Pico DAC/amp is significantly better than the sound of the Compass I had, but that may be a synergy issue. If you had $500, I'd actually suggest getting a Pico DAC and another amp. If you buy the Pico DAC on the F/S forums, you would have about $175-200 for an amp. There are a few options in that price range, but if you can stretch your budget up to $300 or so your options will open up a lot.

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by berryjuice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Audio GD's Compass
2. Head Direct's Hifiman EF2
3. Headamp's Pico
Edit: 4. iBasso D10 Cobra

1. Big size (better have room), I've heard nothing but good things, but don't plan on taking it the office.
2. Small (really small), has a built in DAC that's sufficient (still burning mine in), but the amp is supposed to have great synergy with D2000s.
3. The Pico is great if you're looking for a portable solution, but from the EF2 thread, the Pico AMP isn't going to drive the D2000s as good as the EF2. I've heard nothing but good things about the Compass amp but I have no idea if it has good synergy with the D2000s.
4. see 3

3 and 4 are good because you can listen to them anywhere. The D10 is cheaper, but not as small as the Pico. But if you want something you can transport easily and powerful, go for the EF2. Good way to get introduced to tubes.

The Compass is the odd duck on your list. If you get the Compass, it'll have to stay put. I'd recommend against it if you want to listen to music elsewhere. The EF2, although small, still requires a power adapter. So if you're the type of person that has to have music everywhere then DON'T get that.

From what I've read, you can't go wrong with either the D10 or Pico DAC/AMP.

Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet? (I haven't said that yet)

Aug 18, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #5 of 7
Hi guys,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts, they really helped me a lot on making my final decision. After a more careful research and after reading HeadphoneAddict's review of portable amps, I've finally decided to purchase the Denon D2000 and iBasso D10. This will save me some many for upgrades later on. Again, thank you very much!
smily_headphones1.gif

link of the review:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/u...3/index44.html

Aug 18, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #6 of 7
Hi guys,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts, they really helped me a lot on making my final decision. After a more careful research and after reading HeadphoneAddict's review of portable amps, I've finally decided to purchase the Denon D2000 and iBasso D10. This will save me some money for upgrades later on. Again, thank you very much!
smily_headphones1.gif

link of the review:

Aug 18, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #7 of 7
Hi guys,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts, they really helped me a lot on making my final decision. After a more careful research and after reading HeadphoneAddict's review of portable amps, I've finally decided to purchase the Denon D2000 and iBasso D10. This will save me some money for upgrades later on. Again, thank you very much!
smily_headphones1.gif

link of the review:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back