Compass adequate for my needs?
Oct 30, 2009 at 11:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jisu

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I've been lurking around head-fi for the last month or so and am about to bite the bullet on my first DAC/amp.

Basically I want to run both my MBP and computer through the DAC and plug my headphones/speakers into it. Will the compass be good enough? Here's a diagram of what i'm hoping to achieve:

MBP > optical > DAC > headphone/speakers

PC > usb > DAC headphone/speakers

The headphone I have is AD900 and speakers are AktiMate Mini (Aus brand).

I just want a few nods from you head-heads (alluded from tech-head) before i part with $375 ><

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 3
Pardon my ignorance, what's an MBP?

I just got a Compass delivered two days ago, and I've put it through it's initial paces.

As a PC > usb dac > IEMs setup at my desk, it does very well. Quite an improvement over coming straight from the hp out on my laptop. This was my planned use for the Compass, however it is too big for me to hide away on my desk as planned.

I also tried it at home as a CD > Optical > Beyerdynamic DT990. This result was absolutely stunning. Given that, I would think the Compass would act really well as a preamp and should suffice well with your powered speakers.

In fact, since my Compass is too big for my desk plan, I am contemplating moving it to my PC at home to serve as a preamp there.

I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with the Compass. It is very impressive at the price.

Oct 31, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pardon my ignorance, what's an MBP?

MacBook Pro.

Thanks for your 'input'.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back