Comparisons On some 'phones
Feb 26, 2009 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

NeonPirateKing

100+ Head-Fier
Well anyways, I've been struggling pretty bad, trying not to purchase from the internet 'cuz of some problems, and I stumbled upon the Tom Lee Music Website, and am asking for your help which is the best phone in the Under 150 Range , then comparing those to the Grados SR80s which also retail at one of the stores near there.

Links here.
Tom Lee Music - Recording Accessories
Tom Lee Music - DJ Accessories
Tom Lee Music - Recording Accessories

Thanks very much!~~~~~~~~~~
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 16
That first site is way over priced. Are you limiting your purchase to that one site?

What sound card or other equipment will you be plugging these headphones into?

Do you prefer headphones that are good at not leaking sound out so as not to bother others near by, or good at blocking out external sounds, or is that not so much of a concern?

What kinds of music do you listen to?

Are these headphones also for gaming, movies, or other uses?

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That first site is way over priced. Are you limiting your purchase to that one site?

What sound card or other equipment will you be plugging these headphones into?

Do you prefer headphones that are good at not leaking sound out so as not to bother others near by, or good at blocking out external sounds, or is that not so much of a concern?

What kinds of music do you listen to?

Are these headphones also for gaming, movies, or other uses?

Well, this is canada...... Well it is not much of a concern for leaking/ containing sound, and my music library spreads through all the genres, and they will be used for just listening to music.

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 16
I'll just throw out the standard recommendations that I can remember off the top of my head:

1) Grado SR80i
2) Denon AH D1001
3) Audio Technica ATH AD900 or AD700
4) Allesandro MS1
5) Audio Technica ES7
6) Sennheiser HD555

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, right now.

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, and what sound card or other equipment will you be plugging these headphones into?

iPod Touch 2g- Might get a LOD
No amp

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #7 of 16
I see you have a PortaPro.
What do you think about them? What do you like about them, and what would you like to improve?
We can start from there..

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #8 of 16
But to the OP, I would recommend looking at the D1000 based on other's impressions, the AD700 personally. Scratch the HD555 off the list. But also, take a long look at the RX700/RX900 from JVC, there is a nice thread here. If I didn't have AD900s and had your budget, I'd probably buy the the RX900 honestly, and then save the rest of the cash to start a fund for something more expensive like the AD900, HD600, HD650, DT880, K601, K701 and so on.

I would also try this Mod. Without the stuffing though.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/jvc...-about-381303/

I said it in the RX700/RX900, I'm thinking I'm tempted to do all this myself also. So tempting.

About $75 for headphones and the mod, free shipping. Nice deal, eh?
http://www.buy.com/prod/jvc-ha-rx900...206897542.html
http://www.buy.com/prod/dynamat-1041...203018036.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll just throw out the standard recommendations that I can remember off the top of my head:

1) Grado SR80i
2) Denon AH D1001
3) Audio Technica ATH AD900 or AD700
4) Allesandro MS1
5) Audio Technica ES7
6) Sennheiser HD555

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, right now.

AD900, lowest price I can find from a reputable dealer, $279. My opinon, the AD900 blow the D2000 out of the water in every way, I would infer, same compared to the D1000. The HD555 are second to HD595 as most overrated cans I personally have heard. Listened to only an SR-80 once years years ago, so briefly I won't comment.

So yeah, the AD900 is out of place by being far superior in sound and higher in price, IMO. I'm insulted that you would put the AD900 among those cans.

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeonPirateKing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No amp

Now I might be wrong since I don't have an ipod, but dont you need some external way of controlling the volume if you use a LOD?

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbang819 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I might be wrong since I don't have an ipod, but dont you need some external way of controlling the volume if you use a LOD?

Yes, you will need an amp if you are using an LOD.

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

No amp

Without an amp, why get a LOD for you're ipod?

(whopsie, didn't noticew the above post or two). Basically it would be worthwhile getting a LOD and a fiio amp (I know in aus you can get these for $15 shipped to you). Quite the bargaiun if you're on a budget.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #13 of 16
i'm a newbie. i really like my jvc rx700. still trying to burn them, i have about 6 hours on em(damn, i jsut figured out i can put them under a pillow or clothes or something haha)

i'm hoping to find some sort of replacement for the pad material though

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Without an amp, why get a LOD for you're ipod?

(whopsie, didn't noticew the above post or two). Basically it would be worthwhile getting a LOD and a fiio amp (I know in aus you can get these for $15 shipped to you). Quite the bargaiun if you're on a budget.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah sorry i didnt make myself clear, I forgot to mention im getting a fiio amp. or i might just use em unamped.

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Yeah sorry i didnt make myself clear, I forgot to mention im getting a fiio amp. or i might just use em unamped.

I diffenatly recommend getting a LOD and fiio. It's not a day and night difference, but for the copst there is a huge increase in quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back