Comparisons of the Liquid Lightning and KGSSHV Solid State Stax Amplifiers
Sep 24, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #196 of 211

Any sound quality differences and/or improvements through out the KGSSHV evolution?

EDIT: This is an honest question. Obviously something has been done to improve the design.

Not sure SQ difference if use same transistors.

But newest version is much easier to source all parts for build one.
o2smile.gif

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #197 of 211
No. The refinements have been functionality and sizing.
The build can be customized though, from balls to the wall to a modest on-board version, depending how deep your pockets go.

Not sure SQ difference if use same transistors.

But newest version is much easier to source all parts for build one. 
o2smile.gif

Thanks guys 
smile.gif

Sep 24, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #198 of 211
2C
As the schematics stand the KGSSHV circuit functions flawlessly.
A faulty KGSSHV amp is well, just a faulty amp. Refer to the schematics and fix it, after all this a DIY project, with no company or business front to take the blame.

Sep 24, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #199 of 211
2C
A faulty KGSSHV amp is well, just a faulty amp. Refer to the schematics and fix it, after all this a DIY project, with no company or business front to take the blame.

Indeed.
Mr. Gilmore has provided a great service to community by designing and providing constant updates and tweaks of these amplifiers for DIYers. If someone is smart enough to choose to build one of KG's design, he should certainly make sure that he has the ability to troubleshoot a faulty amp too.
Its obviously implied that being a DIY project, any mishap that may happen is certainly not to be blamed  on the designer but on the skill of the said DIYer.
Of Course, in case you do get a perfectly working amp and love how it sounds too then please donot fail to thank Mr. Gilmore. I am sure he would appreciate it.
P.S : I am just a third party observer and have no intentions of promoting KG or any of his designs.

Sep 24, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #200 of 211
2C

I have had the luck to hear IMO great amps: BHSE, Electra, and LLMK1. I'm also looking forward to hear the Stax 717 based KGSS designs. But I have yet to hear a flawless amp.

I also agree with Guru, in that a great DIY amp is a function not only of the designer, or the tweaker/exposer of existing designs, but of the skill of the individual builder which to a large extend is held accountable for his/her work.

Sep 25, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #201 of 211
  This ongoing mention of KGSSHV problems by dBel84 are erroneous.
Henyo is a guy who had no idea of how to build things and his builds were horrendous.
To say that the KGSSHV has problems is intentional smearing and hearsay.
Livewire was the first guy to build and his version was one of the first. He ordered his own PCB's.
One person had a shorcircuit under the capacitors, nobody else.
JohnMcClean I believe had a problem with one of the transformers, to no fault of the PCB's themselves.
The PCB's have been improved over time anyways. I built 2 from the first group buy and had no problems. Listen to it everyday.
If you want to see poor build quality visit the Mk1 thread (you know where).

Well... the person who had short underneath the cap is probably me. 
That's what happens when you give a potential path to ground on top of a trace carrying roughly 650V of unregulated DC. Silkscreen coating isn't going to cut it. 
After installing some Kepton tape under the cap, everything is working flawlessly. I should have lifted the cap a little off the PCB as common sense dictates when working with HV circuit in the first place. 
This actually goes a long way to tell how much attention one must give on these HV projects. 
I have left the amp on for days without any problem, so KGSSHV design is completely fine. If there is any problem, it is definitely due to craftsmanship, or the lack of in Hennyo's case. 
As far as I know, Hennyo is the only person who has sold faulty KGSSHVs. All other KGSSHVs sold are known to be fully functional before sales. 

Sep 27, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #202 of 211
Building high voltage amps takes a considerable amount of care and attention to detail than an average project that runs under 50 volts.

You need to look at things such as insulation with a greater degree of care.

Resistor voltage ratings, pcb track spacing, wire insulation voltage rating, removal of flux on solder joints are a start.

With the KGSSHV, BHSE & DIYT2 you also need to think about the transistor mounting. Insulators, bushes, stainless steel or peek/nylon screws.

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #205 of 211
Wow. Just finished reading this thread, the last pages of the LL review thread, and the relevant thread on that other forum. I thought I didn't skip head-fi for that long, but obviously things have jumped up a notch in the meantime. I no longer have any skin in this game, as I've gone low-key, mobile/IEM, as of late, but am honestly a bid sad thinking of all the bickering over some stupid amps and, generally, gear. All this negativity sucks out whatever morsel of enjoyment was left in listening to music as a means to lift one's spirit. You guys sure have a way of dragging it all the way in the gutter.

Nov 24, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #206 of 211

Just to clarify, they were right out of the box impressions and I put the LL1 in first. The look on my face when I switched back to the KGSSHV was more like WTH (and not a good thing for the LL1). 
size]

My thoughts exactly, well almost- Im not as nice.  I was like What, I paid 2800 for this?  "Dissapointed" is an understatement.  I feel bad for the guys that paid retail!

For me, compared to the KGSS, I felt the LL's lower bass was lacking (but mid bass good), midrange sucked out, and treble recessed (wheres the air?).

Long story short- after spending all day with the LL, I listed and sold it same day I received.  Sad.  I blamed it on bad synergy with my gear but after reading this post, Im not so sure... 

The above is only my opinion with the LL1.  Your mileage may vary. 
biggrin.gif

I now own a Spritzer built KGSShv, and surprisingly (or not), the KGSS and KGSShv sound very similar.

Recently purchased a max'd out Woo WES (received a few days ago).  Are you guys ready for round 2, Woo WES vs KGSShv?
Wont comment here, don't want to de-rail MH's post.

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #207 of 211

Recently purchased a max'd out Woo WES (received a few days ago).  Are you guys ready for round 2 (Woo WES vs KGSShv)?
Wont comment here, don't want to de-rail MH's post.

I say bring it on! Very interested in the comparison of a maxxed WES vs KGSShv. Seems like the KGSShv is the one to beat at its price point.

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #208 of 211
DarknightDK-

Im having Woo update the WES to MkII status with revised chokes.  Will offer a comparison once I get it back.  

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #209 of 211
  DarknightDK-

Im having Woo update the WES to MkII status with revised chokes.  Will offer a comparison once I get it back.  

Excellent! Looking forward to it.

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #210 of 211
I'm looking forward to comparing the Liquid Lightning 1 and BHSE. I considered both when I bought my STAX headphones, but I chose the BHSE last year. It's been almost a year, and I'm still waiting for it, but I look forward to getting it eventually and seeing how it sounds compared to other electrostatic amps. I've been without an electrostatic amp since I've gotten my STAX, but I recently came across a used LL1 for a great price from a fellow head-fi'er. I'm getting it today in the mail and I'm so excited that I had to post something about it. Having not been able to listen to my SR-009s (except on other people's amps), the LL1, even if it is sub par to the KGSSHV and BHSE (which based on this thread most people seem to think so), will still seem like a monumental event for me. I'll let you guys know what I think of it soon enough!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back