COMPARISON - XTZ Headphone Divine vs Parrot Zik 2: the battle of the Gods
Jan 3, 2016 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Giogio

Bluetooth Guru
Hello dear Head-Fians, and guests who are avidly searching the internet for comparisons.

As you may know from my Thread, I am a fan of sound customization. I like to have good headphones which are true to the sound, but I also like to adapt the sound to my ears, tastes, and situation/music.
So I was always attracted by the idea behind the Parrot Zik, which have an internal DSP processor which allows you to tweak the sound through the provided App.
In the while I have found out that there is another DSP-centric Headphone out there, the XTZ Headphone Divine, a Kickstarter project of a Swedish Hi-Fi Company which take advantage of on an external (software) DSP processor called Dirac.
A comparison seemed was now inevitable, and I moved to make it happen.
I had to be patient and wait a lot (which is ok because anyway I have very few free time lately), but finally I was able to borrow a Parrot Zik 2, and with perfect timing the nice and enthusiast guys at XTZ sent me one of their Headphone Divine and a license for the optional Dirac Audio Processor for Windows/Mac (there is also an App for iOS and one for Android, which are free to download).
The title of this comparison is of course humorously inspired by the name “Divine”, although I must say that both headphones showed to be if not Gods at least semi-Gods.
I will publish as soon as possible a more detailed review of each headphone.
But for now let's find out how they compare.

Look, build and feel

Parrot Zik 2
They look classy and fancy. Beautiful? That's a matter of taste. For sure unique. And they come in different colours too.
The build is premium. Solid, good materials. The synthetic leather which covers almost the whole surface of the headphones may require attention.
The feel is nice. The earpads feel soft and warm. The clamping was perfect on my mid sized head but it could be a tight on big heads. Besides, the arms of the headband do not extend much, which could be a problem if you have a long head. They are also a rather small over-ear, not for big ears.

XTZ Headphone Divine
They look just like any other headphone and will not attract attention if not in the darkness due to the flashing LED (when will Companies learn that we do not want flashing LEDs?). They are only available in black.
The build is ok, no premium materials, although not cheap either. They do not look super sturdy but are not fragile by any means.
The feel is ok. Although the clamping force is gentle, and the headband extends enough, the cups do not swivel on an horizontal axis, so the bottom part of the earpads makes more pressure than the upper one. The earpads are anyway soft enough, so that only after a couple of hours I feel some little discomfort. I also have to change the position of the headband from time to time. Not a big deal, still in the norm (almost all On Ear give discomfort in the long term).

In few words: aesthetic tastes apart, the Parrot are clear winners in this aspect.

Sound and Loudness

Parrot Zik 2
The sound quality and signature change depending on which features of the DSP you use.
Generally speaking they sound very good, specially considering that they do not use Aptx or AAC. There is good detail, good dynamic, and just a bit of veil and dullness, which can partially be improved with the DSP.
By activating the ANC the sound becomes more dynamic and more alive, and the bass fuller and more present.
The soundstage is enough wide and deep and with good separation, and can be increased with the Spatial Effect of the DSP.
The Bass is clean, full, nicely dense, not exaggerated. It has got a good punch and a pleasant sub-vibration. It can also be pushed quite a lot with EQ, before distorting and/or eating other frequencies.
The Mids are a bit laid back in the soundstage, but ok. You can enhance them with the EQ.
The Highs are quite clear and detailed, which surprised me given the absence of Aptx (which I still kind of miss). Activating ANC and Spatial Effect can improve their quality, and with the EQ you can adjust their quantity, and eventually correct the occasional harshness which I felt on some music at max vol.
They are loud as much as headphones should be.

XTZ Headphone Divine
The difference in the sound with or without DSP is dramatic, even more than with the Zik.
Without DSP they sound good, a bit bassy but of a nice good bass, with present and slightly warm mids, a certain push in the upper mids, and ok highs. The detail is good, the soundstage ok for an On Ear. The separation nothing special but not bad either, and there is some veil and dullness.
Overall a good mid-class BT Headphone which could cost a bit less.
As soon as you use the DSP, you get something very different.
For more details on how this DSP works and how it differs from Parrot's, please read the coming soon reviews. Here I will just say that with the DSP the sound becomes nearly perfectly balanced, VERY detailed, very alive and dynamic, virtually unveiled, with very crispy and impressively clear but not aggressive highs, very good separation, and a soundstage which I did not find in any other BT On Ear if not maybe the Fidelio M2BT.
The mids are more balanced but still pleasantly present.
Although the Reference filter neutralizes the bassyness mentioned above, the bass potential is still there, and you can apply other filters to add more bass, or you can push it with the EQ of your player, with amazing results.
Overall, a high-class BT Headphone which could cost much more.
Only down note: the DSP reduces the gain (and so the loudness) a bit, to have headroom for the corrections. The Divine are anyway louder than the Zik without DSP, so they end being just a bit less loud than the Zik with DSP, and still more than loud enough for most people and for any safe and healthy prolonged use (my headaches in the days of intensive testing at loud volume are a proof of this). And when you listen to music which requires more power than precision, you can just close the DSP.

In few words: they both sound very good. The bass is differently coloured but qualitatively equally good on both. But I find the XTZ to be winner for the incredible transparency and detail and balance which Dirac gives them. Also, the highs are much better on the Divine, and the Mids are more present.

Special Features, Battery Life, Connectivity, and extra stuff

Parrot Zik 2
ANC
NFC
Internal DSP (you change settings with the App and the settings are stored in the Headphones) with EQ and Spatial Effects
Head Sensor (stops music when you take the headphones off)
Removable Battery (Battery life 6-8 hours continuous use)
A disappointingly cheap velvet soft carrying bag.
Canvassed USB and Audio Cable
Standard Call quality. I could not try the HD Voice feature (which requires a special provider and phone) but I disagree that at this price range people must be expected to change provider and phone to have a really good quality call.
Standard Wireless Range, no drop-outs.

XTZ Headphones Divine
NFC
External DSP (you need to have the Software running) with different sound filters but no real EQ or Spatial Effects. EQ may come in the future (=I have heavily insisted for it, we'll see).
Battery Life 12-18 hours continuous use.
A good velvet semi rigid carrying bag.
Plastic USB and Audio Cable (with mic and track control although no vol control).
Flight adapter and 3.5 to 6.3 adapter.
Standard Call quality (you hear well and loud and are heard well but a bit distant).
Standard Wireless Range, no drop-outs.

In few words: it is mostly a tie, with minor differences. Of course the Parrot are winner for anybody interested in ANC.

CONCLUSIONS

You kind of cannot go wrong with any of the two.
At these levels it is often mostly a matter of preferences.
I would say that the Zik 2 clearly win for the extra jingles (if you need them), but the Divine slightly win for sound quality.
Which is an amazing result, given that they were competing with the supposed "World's most advanced Headphones".
Apparently the geographical position is not the only reason why XTZ can look at Parrot from above.
Or well, let's avoid sensationalism, let's say they can look at each other in the eyes :)

So, that's all for now, I hope you've enjoyed the world's first comparison of the only two DSP Enhanced Headphones.
Feel free to ask.

Jan 3, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 22
Good review giogio i have the XTZ Devine they are a good sounding BT headphones especially with the Dirac feature...i also recently got the JBL Everest  elite 700 i was not so impressed with the sound it sounded a bit dull and veiled to me ...but it has a very good BT range .
    My favourite BT headphone right now is the Sony MDR-1ABT this is a great sounding headphone very balanced and has a great soundstage which the JBL lacked....One feature that made the sony standout for me is the LDAC bluetooth codec it is unbelievably good it sounds like you are using it wired apparently it uses a bigger bandwidth awesome..

Jan 5, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #3 of 22
Yes I am working on getting one of those Sony to test.
I am very optimist about them and I wonder if they will cause a revolution in my "List in order of overall excellence" as much as the XTZ did.
It would be useful if you post a comparison between Sony and XTZ in the other thread!

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #5 of 22
I have published the detailed review of the XTZ, have a look.

Quote:
  Great review. I was just looking for impressions on the xtz.

Did you buy them? When you do, you can share your impressions in the Discussion Thread I have opened.
More opinions = more objectivity.

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 22
  Did you buy them? When you do, you can share your impressions in the Discussion Thread I have opened.
More opinions = more objectivity.

I just ordered a set so in a short time I will have some impressions. I do like loud playback volume so I am a little concerned they will be too quiet for me, but we will see. I love my PM3, especially balanced out of the Onkyo DAP, but I am sick of wires so it will be nice to have a wire free option. Look forward to providing some feedback. They should arrive here early next week or even this Friday, but next week is more probable. 

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #8 of 22
  I just ordered a set so in a short time I will have some impressions. Look forward to providing some feedback.

Super!
Better in the other thread (the Discussion one) :wink:

Feb 9, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #9 of 22
  Super!
Better in the other thread (the Discussion one) :wink:

For sure, I'll post in that thread. So I assume the amp is decent? I have already installed the Android App so just waiting for the headphones.

Feb 9, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #10 of 22
  For sure, I'll post in that thread. So I assume the amp is decent? I have already installed the Android App so just waiting for the headphones.

What do you mean for Amp? You talk of the Volume?
Yes of course. I also like to listen at loud volume.
It also depends on what you listen. For dirty music like Dubstep you can always avoid the DSP and enjoy the normal bassy signature with more loudness.
Anyway, in Android you also have a positive db value in the Amp.

If you plan to use them at home too, with PC/MAC, the optional Dirac software is a must, believe me. And it costs you less together with the headphones.

Feb 9, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #11 of 22

What do you mean for Amp? You talk of the Volume?
Yes of course. I also like to listen at loud volume.
It also depends on what you listen. For dirty music like Dubstep you can always avoid the DSP and enjoy the normal bassy signature with more loudness.
Anyway, in Android you also have a positive db value in the Amp.

If you plan to use them at home too, with PC/MAC, the optional Dirac software is a must, believe me. And it costs you less together with the headphones.

Thanks, it will be used with my Onkyo DP-X1 and not at home. 40mm is a small driver and for home headphone use I prefer over-ear, open-back with larger drivers.

Feb 9, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #12 of 22
Yeah me too, for home I use Over Ear.
Although I like so much the sound of the XTZ with Dirac, that I use them often at home too.
Anyway, you know that you will not have the Dirac corrections on your Onkyo?
I mean, it still is a good headphone also without that, but, my enthusiastic review is mostly based on how it sounds with Dirac.

Feb 9, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #13 of 22
  Yeah me too, for home I use Over Ear.
Although I like so much the sound of the XTZ with Dirac, that I use them often at home too.
Anyway, you know that you will not have the Dirac corrections on your Onkyo?
I mean, it still is a good headphone also without that, but, my enthusiastic review is mostly based on how it sounds with Dirac.

The Onkyo has Bluetooth aptX and it runs Android 5. I have the app running on the Onkyo so why wouldn't it work?

Feb 9, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #14 of 22
  The Onkyo has Bluetooth aptX and it runs Android 5. I have the app running on the Onkyo so why wouldn't it work?

Oh, sorry, I thought it was some kind of FiiO, it looked like a music player, I did not imagine it would have Android.
Then, all right.

Feb 9, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #15 of 22

Oh, sorry, I thought it was some kind of FiiO, it looked like a music player, I did not imagine it would have Android.
Then, all right.

Yes it is a dedicated player, but with Android 5.1. Even the new FiiO X7 is Android, just 4.0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back