Comparison: Xin SupermacroIV versus Ray Samuels Audio "The Hornet"
Aug 26, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1
What's burn=in time for these units? neither you nor the samuels' website gives any indication. Just curious

I followed my standard protocol for both amps of 100 hours burn in, although Ray told me it would sound even better after 200.

Aug 26, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #32 of 45
I think we get to carried with equipement. Either the Supermacro 4 or The Hornet are fantastic units with excellent sound and built by two experts that care. Anyone would be happy with either, the big differences are what we "like" and perhaps one or two features.

Just my $0.02.

Aug 26, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #33 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
I think we get to carried with equipement. Either the Supermacro 4 or The Hornet are fantastic units with excellent sound and built by two experts that care. Anyone would be happier with either, the big differences are what we "like" and perhaps one or two features.

Just my $0.02.

I totally agree with everything you said (except that we get too carried away - that's the fun
3000smile.gif
)

Aug 27, 2006 at 11:14 AM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by russdog
SMIV is capable of much better than what? You're still waiting for one, so how can you say it's not performing as it could/should? If you haven't heard it, how can you say that other OpAmps are needed? (Do you even know which OpAmps are coming with yours?)

Well I have listened to SR-71 and I own Supermacro I, II, III. I have always ordered the Max-Out version. Did you see my profile before you are posting this?? I own quite a few of opamps.

Here is the receipt of your order at Xin Feng Company (www.fixup.net). If you selected check or money order as payment, you must mail it to us:

Xin Feng Company
3399 NW Poppy Dr.
Corvallis, OR 97330
USA

Date : 19 Aug 2006 - 02:28
Order ID :

Payment by Credit card

Product : Quantity : Price
SuperMacro-IV : 1 : 349.99
Max627 : 1 : 99.99

Subtotal : 449.98
Shipping : 25.99
TOTAL : 475.97

Billing details:
Shipping address (if different from the billing address):

You'll receive an email notification once your order is shipped. If you have any question, please feel free to email us (sales@fixup.net). You must include your shopper ID {id} in your email subject. Thank you!

Aug 27, 2006 at 11:25 AM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71
But then one could argue that Xin should provide a much better standard configuration if the standard config doesn't showcase the amp's abilities. Some people just want to buy a amp and not mess with things at least for a while, so it should come with a good standard config. Any amp with swappable op-amps is going to have dozens of possible sound signatures especially one where you can change the types of 4 op-amps and 4 buffers. So the standard so offer a good glimpse of the potential of the amp.

Anyhow, the SM-IV is great in that it could potentially be any amp you want it to be, and that fact alone attracts many people to it.

Well would like to strive for the best? By the max-out version of supermacro not the standard. the standard one costs USD350, SR-71 - USD$400.-, SM max-out USD$450.-

Aug 27, 2006 at 11:27 AM Post #36 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1
What's burn=in time for these units? neither you nor the samuels' website gives any indication. Just curious

Supermacro Version 6 is about 200hours, otherwise it sounds bright when you first receive them.
SR-71 - doesn't need burn-in
Hornet - I read in the forum, requires a lot of burn-in.

Aug 27, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #37 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo
Quote:

SMIV is capable of much better than what? You're still waiting for one, so how can you say it's not performing as it could/should? If you haven't heard it, how can you say that other OpAmps are needed? (Do you even know which OpAmps are coming with yours?)

Well I have listened to SR-71 and I own Supermacro I, II, III. I have always ordered the Max-Out version. Did you see my profile before you are posting this?? I own quite a few of opamps.

Here is the receipt of your order at Xin Feng Company...

What does that have to do with anything? I don't understand how ordering an SM-IV is relevant. If you haven't got it, you haven't heard it. And if you have not heard it, how can you possibly claim to know what it does and does not do well? Are you really claiming that, because you've bought a lot of stuff, you know how a new product that you don't have and haven't heard really sounds? This is silly...

Aug 27, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #38 of 45
Quote:

What does that have to do with anything? I don't understand how ordering an SM-IV is relevant. If you haven't got it, you haven't heard it. And if you have not heard it, how can you possibly claim to know what it does and does not do well? Are you really claiming that, because you've bought a lot of stuff, you know how a new product that you don't have and haven't heard really sounds? This is silly...

When I listened to the first generation of Supermacro Vs. SR-71, the first thing I have noticed is that SR-71 produces a very sweet mid and addicting sound. Supermacro sounded clean, bigger soundstage. Both produce different sound, only a matter of preference.
With Supermacro III, it's already a different story, I find Supermacro III, to be very dark, much bigger soundstage, sweet mid, sparkling high. Good separation, and airy. I find supermacro III to be better than SR-71, especially with the added bass boost(amazing for certain headphones: Sensaphonics 2X-S, DT770, ER-4S). SR-71 sounds congested in comparison
Reading from
http://www.fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?...9&whichpage=24
the technology in Supermacro IV is very well respected, with 4 channel technology, and so on. I own all supermacro I to III, and I noticed improvements with each Supermacro Xin released. Therefore I'm very confident that Supermacro IV, would be even more superior. Also, there are many people who have received the Supermacro IV, from fixup.net website. felt the same way.
If you are not happy with my post due to my silliness, you don't have to read my post. It's a forum.

Aug 27, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #39 of 45
I don't have an SR71, but I was under the impression that many people prefer the sound of the Hornet.

Nonetheless, a review of a SR71 and a $400 configured SMIV would be instructive.

Aug 28, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
I don't have an SR71, but I was under the impression that many people prefer the sound of the Hornet.

Nonetheless, a review of a SR71 and a $400 configured SMIV would be instructive.

I haven't heard the Hornet. can't comment on that. But I think in the future, SR-71 will be my purchase for collection. The musicality, and the sweetness signature is really addicting IMO. When I was reading a while ago from headfi, people who own both Hornet and SR-71 prefer SR-71. Am I correct?

SR-71 compared to USD$400.- Xin Supermacro Amps would be constructive, entirely agree on that.

Aug 28, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #41 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab

I am one of the few ones that prefers the SR-71 to The Hornet.

Aug 28, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #42 of 45
From my limited experience with SR71 and Hornet (M), I do think they are both great amps, not just in the portable league. SR71 sounded right in almost every aspect, with Zhaolu DAC1.3 and recabled HD600, overall presentation is rich yet not heavy, soundstage is wide (even wider than quite some good desktop amps) and the depth and layer are decent. The bass is well controled and has the kind of authority in bass as from a well-made desktop amp. The music is coherent from SR71 and vocal is engaging, though not as rounded as some tube amps, and not as clean and clear as well implemented virtual ground amps, but it's rich and musical. Overall, I love its sound and highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a rich sound with very good soundstage. In a brief comparison, my moded pre-power combo has better layer and better sound image and slightly better impact. But please keep in mind that the total costs of my modded combo are almost twice the price of a SR71 and the the combo was specifically tweaked to couple with my recabled HD600. The only issue I have with SR71 is its lack of internal charger. Hornet has the charging circurt in it; if there's a combination of the SR71 sound and a charging capability, it would be one of my no-brainer choices. Hornet has a more agressive presentation. Again, it has the rich sound as I found in other Ray's equipments. the M-vresion Hornet's soundstage is very good, though not as wide as SR71 and more face pushing. Hornet produces a sound with more energy than SR71, which may be great for some gears and music. Hornet may not has the huge soundstage as in either SR71 or my combo, it does have an eye-opening design and professional case, plus the charging ability and a gain switch, very attractive.

Aug 28, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by goto2003
From my limited experience with SR71 and Hornet (M), I do think they are both great amps, not just in the portable league. SR71 sounded right in almost every aspect, with Zhaolu DAC1.3 and recabled HD600, overall presentation is rich yet not heavy, soundstage is wide (even wider than quite some good desktop amps) and the depth and layer are decent. The bass is well controled and has the kind of authority in bass as from a well-made desktop amp. The music is coherent from SR71 and vocal is engaging, though not as rounded as some tube amps, and not as clean and clear as well implemented virtual ground amps, but it's rich and musical. Overall, I love its sound and highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a rich sound with very good soundstage. In a brief comparison, my moded pre-power combo has better layer and better sound image and slightly better impact. But please keep in mind that the total costs of my modded combo are almost twice the price of a SR71 and the the combo was specifically tweaked to couple with my recabled HD600. The only issue I have with SR71 is its lack of internal charger. Hornet has the charging circurt in it; if there's a combination of the SR71 sound and a charging capability, it would be one of my no-brainer choices. Hornet has a more agressive presentation. Again, it has the rich sound as I found in other Ray's equipments. the M-vresion Hornet's soundstage is very good, though not as wide as SR71 and more face pushing. Hornet produces a sound with more energy than SR71, which may be great for some gears and music. Hornet may not has the huge soundstage as in either SR71 or my combo, it does have an eye-opening design and professional case, plus the charging ability and a gain switch, very attractive.

Wow that's such a nice reply Goto2003. This really got me curious again, to try out SR-71 hehe. From my memory the last time, I tested SR-71 with ER-4S and DT770, I didn't feel the soundstage as big as the supermacro. I found it musical but not that rich. Anyhow, I have always wanted to get SR-71 but, few weeks ago, I tried SR-71 and compared it to my Supermacro, I didn't have that WOW effect, as I had with my supermacro III. It didn't have soundstage as good as Supermacro. Oh well, I guess, I will have to try to compare it again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Goto2003, how does SM IV compared to SR-71? I have one max-out coming. I would like to hear it from you, since you seem to have SM IV as well.

Aug 29, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #44 of 45
I can't have general comment on SM IV's sound as it changes all the time with new tweaks and different chips. These tweaks did not always improve sound, and I have yet to find out a SM IV with tweaks sounds better than my combo. Of course, I would be biased as I prefer the sound signature of the combo with Blackage mod's.

Sep 1, 2006 at 7:31 AM Post #45 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by goto2003
I can't have general comment on SM IV's sound as it changes all the time with new tweaks and different chips. These tweaks did not always improve sound, and I have yet to find out a SM IV with tweaks sounds better than my combo. Of course, I would be biased as I prefer the sound signature of the combo with Blackage mod's.

Goto I was wondering how can I use Supermacro IV together with supermacro I Pre-comb?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back