Comparison Review: Ety ER6 vs both 4p and 4s (Very Long)
Feb 1, 2002 at 12:21 AM Post #16 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by AIM9x
It's all your fault. Because of your excellent review, I have now dropped 270$ on an ER4P from headroom.

Sorry...but the pleasure you get from them will be worth it. I will tell you a little story. Today, there was a fire in my apartment building (everything's fine). As I stood there trying to decide what to save, I took only my two cats and my coat. As I approached the door, I turned back and grabbed my 4p off my desk and stuffed them in my pocket, leaving my new Sony VAIO, all my papers, everything. I thought to myself, "If I have these, even if I lose everything else, at least I can escape how much that would suck by listening to my etys." Not a bad endorsement, eh Don? It turned out that dryer in the basement had gone up in flames...but the point of the story is, worth $270? To me, at that moment, they seemed priceless.

Feb 1, 2002 at 2:37 AM Post #17 of 47
dgs, great review!

as a newbie i have a few question for you,

Quote:

mzr700 MD player with no amplification.

1) when did do the review did you use the mega bass on the r700?

2) did you use the PC-Link when recording to your minidisc?

Quote:

Er6: Great headphone for on the go. Ultraportable. Do not need an amp. A bit fatiguing depending on the music. A little less isolation than 4p/s, which is useful for being on the street/subway

"A bit fatiguing depending on the music" what you mean by this? like over time it sounds DULL?

btw, do you think its worth upgrading to the ety. ER6 from my koss ksc-35?

Feb 1, 2002 at 3:35 AM Post #18 of 47
DGS---

maybe you can use your excellent evaluative skills to help building management in selecting safer dryers!
biggrin.gif

Seriously, glad to hear you, kitties, and Etys were fine. Thanks for an informative and detailed review. I think I'll spring for the ER6 as starter canalphones; your review took away any doubts I had about them. (though the ER4s seem better, the pricing issue is key!) Nice job!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2002 at 7:03 PM Post #19 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by AIM9x
It's all your fault. Because of your excellent review, I have now dropped 270$ on an ER4P from headroom.

heh heh heh... same here. this review was the final straw. I ordered the er4p yesterday.

Feb 1, 2002 at 7:49 PM Post #20 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by bass man
1) when did do the review did you use the mega bass on the r700?

2) did you use the PC-Link when recording to your minidisc?

"A bit fatiguing depending on the music" what you mean by this? like over time it sounds DULL?

btw, do you think its worth upgrading to the ety. ER6 from my koss ksc-35?

bass man,

1) Never.

2) Nope. It introduces alot of noise on my system. I use the optical link on my sony pcdp or my toshiba dvd.

3) Fatigue? That's a hard thing to put into words. The sound doesn't become dull. Rather, over time, usually with headphones in which one frequency or another is more prominent, one gets a sense of tiredness while listening. Some people would place that sense of tiredness in their ears ("My ears get tired") where others would place it in their brain (usually described more like, "I find these HP fatiguing"). It's a little hard to explain, but one way to think of it is like this: it's the amount of time you can listen to a pair of headphones before feeling tired, getting a headache, feeling like parts of the sound spectrum are irritating, and so on. Does this make sense?

4) The upgrade question--well, that's interesting too. These two HP (ks35 and er6) really serve two different purposes. The er6 is isolating, pretty neutral sounding, and pretty accurate. They are great for commuting; however, they can be dangerous (can't hear outside noises) and annoying (you can hear your footsteps at times) under certain circumstances, ie. the gym, crossing the street, etc. I have the ks35 (I reviewed them a while back), and they are great little headphones. Most people like them more for the gym over isolating phones, or if they need to hear the phone ring or what-have-you. I tend to prefer the sound of the er6 to that of the ks35, but the decision to get a pair of er6 should probably be based just as much on what you intend to use them for as it would be for sound.

Feb 2, 2002 at 3:35 AM Post #21 of 47
thank you, dgs, for the reply

as for er6, i encode all of my cd collection to mp3's at 160 CBR using LAME to my nomad II mg. To my ears 160kbps mp3 is as good as CD quality!

do you think the 160 kbps is GOOD ENOUG for the ety. er-6? cause ety. tend to be "too revealing flaws"

Feb 3, 2002 at 8:47 AM Post #23 of 47
thank you guys VERY much... i recently got an iPod and have been looking for new hp's ever since (the earbuds that come w/ it aren't that great)

after reading this review i have decided to get the er6
smily_headphones1.gif

WOOHOO!!! I can't wait... now i just need to get this damn iPod working on my PC and ill be all set
wink.gif

Feb 4, 2002 at 3:39 AM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by bass man
do you think the 160 kbps is GOOD ENOUG for the ety. er-6? cause ety. tend to be "too revealing flaws"

bass man,

The er6 sounds pretty nice on the MDLP mode, which, if I recall correctly, is equal to somewhere around the 128 to 190 mark on MP3 (someone else might know this more accurately here). At any rate, they sound fine. I don't think the er6 is too revealing of recording flaws. They are certainly less revealing than the 4s/p series.

Feb 5, 2002 at 3:28 AM Post #26 of 47
Excellent review!

Just ordered the ER6 and am awaiting delivery from Headroom. Looking forward to comparing their sound to that of the Sony 888 and Grado 125. Unfortunately, after reading your review, I started to get that sinking feeling that the ER6's aren't gonna do it... that maybe I should have just splurged for the 4P/S.

I don't really like the 888 sound (very bright to my ears) so I started looking for something... well... more. Auditioned the Grado 125s and noticed a definate change in sound quality. But, still felt that they were not audio nirvana (or at least not what's possible with my modest budget and other gear). Had decided to wait until I could scrape up enough to go for the ER4 P/S, but then read some reviews that were very complimentary of the ER 6.

Good thing Headroom has a good return policy!

Thanks again for your comparisson!

Bruce

Feb 6, 2002 at 3:17 AM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by BDA_ABAT
audio nirvana

That title would have to go to the 4p/s series. If you didn't like the grado 125s, you might find the "in your face" mid treble push of the er6 annoying as well. I'd recommend giving them a good 24 hours of burn in to get a decent sense of the sound first, though.

Apr 22, 2002 at 11:42 PM Post #28 of 47
DGS, I take it that the ER4S cans wouldn't please you "without a separate amp." What determines whether a device has enuf oomph to deliver on the goods? I'm specifically interested in the iPod and wonder whether it delivers enough power to keep the ety's happy. I'm not into lots of volume, just in the richness/clarity of the sound and I'm not enthused about the 4-P's trumped-up bass line that would be out of place in my drier taste environment.

Apr 22, 2002 at 11:49 PM Post #29 of 47
Hi Walt, welcome to Head-Fi. I have the iPod and the ER-4S, 4P, and ER-6. On the go (moving around), I prefer the ER-6 for it's lack of cord microphonics. For stationary use, I prefer the ER4P.........to my ears, it does not produce anything close to the "trumped up bass" that you mention. It sounds fuller and richer than the ER4S without an amp, directly out of the iPod, and is also more easily driven than the ER6. You can always convert it to a 4S with an inexpensive cable, if you find the bass to be too much......but you won't find that to be the case. Trust me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2002 at 5:47 PM Post #30 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by WaltFrench
DGS, I take it that the ER4S cans wouldn't please you "without a separate amp." What determines whether a device has enuf oomph to deliver on the goods

Actually, I like the 4s without an amp as well, but it is definitely a more laidback albeit open sound than the 4p (see my comparison review of the 4p/s in which neither was amped). And I agree with Joe, you can get the 4p (which really does not have an overemphasized bass--that's only in comparison to the 4s), and upgrade with a $10 cable later.

As for what determines whether a device has sufficient power, there is nothing like a demo. Seriously though, you can search through the source forums for alot more thorough information than I could give you here in a few words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back