Comparison/Review: Ah-d1100 vs M50 vs Dt770 vs Goldring Ns1000 vs Klipsch image one
Jan 20, 2012 at 7:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

drftg1011

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, the head fi community has helped me in deciding which headphone to buy, so i thought I'd share my audition experience with the headphones above as a way to give back to the community

The headphones i was considering were:
M50
dt770
ahd1100
shure srh840
ultrasone hfi580
Klipsch Image one
Aiaiai tma1

All these headphones are in the similiar price bracket and are closed cans. I auditioned all of them at a shop for about 2 plus hours before deciding on the dt770. I auditioned each headphone for about 20 minutes. I'm no audiophile, just a guy who enjoys his music. On to the comparisions.

Dt770:
This was the first pair i tried. Overall sound was pretty laid back. As usual with closed headphones, mids were a little recessed. Bass has a thump to it but could get a tad boomy on some tracks. Highs were nothing special, a bit of roll-off in higher frequencies. The soundstage was rather good for a closed can. Instrument separation was so-so. Was I liked about this can was the decent sound quality and the look of it. Looks cool imo. Build quailty is solid also. One thing you can appreciate about this is the fact that all parts are replacement so and faults are easily fixed.

M50:
Second can i tried. I approached this warily due to the immense FOTM of these cans. However, i must say i kinda liked the sound. I was trying the newer white box version. I felt it was more balanced than the dt770. While the bass impact wasnt as large, it still had some oomph to it on the right songs. mids were decent and highs were clear. Overall the sound was more forward than the dt770. I liked the sound on m50 slightly more than on the dt770. However, instrument separation was likewise not so good. This is not neccessarily a bad thing, its just what you prefer.

Comfort wise it was decent but less so than the dt770. the build quality was very solid, felt like a rock.

Ah d1100:

Damn. This cans have very heavy bass, it eats into the other frequencies. A good eq neccessary to made it sound less fatiguing. Consequently, mids and highs sound rather recessed. Some say the highs sound artifical but i did not detect anything like that. Soundstage slightly better than the m50. This is quite the basshead can, both the dt770 and m50 sound better overall. However, it is very comfortable. Honestly i would not recommend these UNLESS your looking for portability. However denon cans are pricy for the performance. In the end, i would not recommend these headphones.

Klipsch Image ones:

Yet another basshead can with comfort. Something like the ahd1100 sound quality wise. However, i would say these are better as they do not have the weird headband design of the d1100. So i would recommend these over the denon cans.

Goldring Ns1000:

These cans have noise cancelling features which are pretty nice. However, the sound quality IMHO was really lacking. Overall i felt it was muddy and laidback. A bad combination. Bass was poor as well. Im not a basshead but i still need my daily bass so i could definitely detect the lack of it. I felt it was really weird because these cans supposedly sound pretty good. Ah well, at least its noise cancelling.

The other headphones i left out at this price range was:
the shure srh840
shure dj750
ultrasone hfi580 and
aiaiai tma-1.
I left out ther shures because they cant do comfort for nuts. 
I didnt get the ultrasones too because of its S-logic. IMO when every ultrasone owner says it takes like a million years to burn in ultrasones properly, i think its just them getting used to the S logic. I'd rather that not happen to me cuz i dont really believe in burn in.

The aiaiai tma-1 is a really good option but sadly i forgot to try it while i was there......damn. But by all means consider this when you are making your purchase.

In the end i chose the dt770 because with an amp is sounds better than the m50s with an amp. And it looks good. heh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back