Comparison on Sennheiser 580, 590, and 600
Feb 19, 2003 at 4:33 PM Post #16 of 24
Aerius,

You have made a point that I have stated over and over, the 590's to my ears are definitley the more suitable phone for something like Sarah Mclachlin or any other type of accuoustic music (jazz, classical) while the 600's fair better than most peole think on heavy-metal.

I don't know about the store demo because the 590 being more detailed would tend to emphasize the shortcomings of anything used to amplify them. Also, it needs to be siad again that the 590's and the Stefan Audio Arts cable are an essentila match. Without this cable the 590's don't fare as well. I have since listened to these headphones with the stock cable and in stock trim they have a cheap, edgy and somewhat hollow sound to them that the cable removes. It is not a huge difference but it is enough to make it worthwhile to purchase the cable if you are considering the 590's or if you already own them. Several people have been really surprised at the difference the cable makes.

Achilles,

I couldn't possibly agree more with the opinions you expressed in your last paragragh. AS far as I am concerned you are right on the money.

It surprises me that the 590's were ever maligned but it is good to see that it is now gaining quickly in popularity and acceptance.

Best
Brian

Feb 19, 2003 at 5:07 PM Post #17 of 24
Mariowar,

Man, when I once suggested that the brightness you attribute to the top of the line Headroom amps was designed in to better suit the shortcomings of the 600's (Headrooms stated favorite headphone) it really "brought the dogs out".

But, you have brought out a great point. I think the perfect match for the 590's is a lush sounding tube amp. I currently have a modded Melos that is a tube/transistor hybrid. This amp sounds like the greatest transistor amp you ever heard but it does not, for the most part, have the traditional lush tube sound. So, as audiophiles will often do, I sit around and daydeam of what the 590's would sound like in a warm, holograhic sounding tube amp. My thinking is that even though most tubes amps are rolled off at the top with the extra detail of the 590's I might be able to get everything I want -- warmth and detail all in one package. Until that day I just keep daydreaming.

Best
Brian

Feb 19, 2003 at 5:22 PM Post #18 of 24
I think that the 590 is a good phone as well. Some people are more sensitive to high frequencies, etc so that may affect your listening preferences. Having A/B'd some 580s and 590s through a META, the differences are obviously there, but not as large as I though they would be. The 590s are definitely more detailed, but not quite as smooth. The 580s are relaxed but not as detailed. Two sides to the same coin. Both sound great. One thing I noticed was that I prefer the AD8620 opamp with the 590s and the AD843 opamp with the 580s...basically complementing the headphones.

Mar 9, 2003 at 7:42 PM Post #19 of 24
If I can tell you one thing about the 590's vs. 600's, it's that I managed to blow my 590's much quicker than my 600's
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2003 at 5:51 PM Post #21 of 24
NeedHomeAmp, if you managed to do that, you must be deaf by know. Who said that audiophile listening is turning the potentiometer all the way up?
If you want it LOUD, check out the newest Pioneer DJ headphones at Audiocubes.....

Nov 27, 2003 at 6:21 PM Post #22 of 24
Wheres fewtch? If you want a detailed description between the 580/600 ask him. He knows what these headphones can and cant do as well as anyone. If he doesnt see this post try giving him a pm.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back