Comparison of top in ear monitors
Apr 15, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #16 of 55
What's up with this brand brashing? Every brand has it cons and pros, it all depends on what you are looking for.

I think it is simply wrong to push one brand over all the others.

I have ER4 and the HD600, but that doesn't make me intolerant of all the other headphone manufacturers (although I do think the HD600 sound signature is pretty hard to beat).

Apr 15, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #17 of 55
We're making recommendation based on our personal preference and experience here.. that's what this board is for.

We're also trying to steer away other people from having potential problems with one product or another. It's honest advice sharing amongst consumers.

What would you rather us do? Tell you, "everything has its own merits, everything's good. Go find out for yourself."??? Then what would be the point of having this forum at all?

Apr 15, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #19 of 55
I would also say not to go the ER-4 as a monitor. First you have cord issues and second, the sound. My roommate and his friends are all musicians and while testing the E5 vs ER-4, they overwhelming chose the E5 for live recording. Something about the forward mids being good and the bass. For listening to music, they prefered the the ER-4. They didn't think it had the right sound for recording and would get lost with the rest of the live instruments. Not sure how they felt about it being using as a mixing monitor. Anyway, it just seemed musicians have very different requirements than someone using them as just headphones.

Apr 15, 2004 at 11:41 PM Post #20 of 55

Apr 15, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #21 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by iamdone
I would also say not to go the ER-4 as a monitor. First you have cord issues and second, the sound. My roommate and his friend are all musicians and while testing the E5 vs ER-4. They overwhelming chose the E5 for recording. Something about the forward mids being good and the bass. For listening to music, they prefered the the ER-4. They didn't think it had the right sound for recording and would get lost with the rest of the live instruments. Not sure how they felt about it being using as a mixing monitor. Anyway, it just seemed musicians have very different requirements than someone using them as just headphones.

I agree that the forward mids help in performance. I am starting to use my E2 for one ear monitoring while djing. It provides me with the mid bass hump that I need to clearly hear the beat and the right amount of highs for mixing. It is concealed and works great so far. The other ear is fitted with an ER-20. The ER4 could be used also for onstage monitoring, but it looks goofy.

Apr 16, 2004 at 12:56 AM Post #22 of 55
I have not posted before but have read extensively. While Lindrone is enamored with his Sensa's, he is hesitant to recommend the UE product line based on inuendo and heresay. The fact remains that UE and Sensa are both viable players in providing professional IEM's to the entertainment industry. As someone who is involved with a large, internationally known rock band, I can tell you that most of the top musicians use both brands. Right now it appears that UE is stealing some of the thunder. I personally own both brands and haven't worn the Sensa's for quite some time, not for any other reason than they aren't my personal favorite. I think it's unfair to steer anyone on this forum that is serious about purchasing a Pro IEM towards just one of these companies. You should take a close look at both brands before making your decision. I can tell you from personal experience that materials used by both companies are not an issue.

Apr 16, 2004 at 1:04 AM Post #23 of 55
Thank you!
tongue.gif

Apr 16, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #24 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by HRA
I have not posted before but have read extensively. While Lindrone is enamored with his Sensa's, he is hesitant to recommend the UE product line based on inuendo and heresay. The fact remains that UE and Sensa are both viable players in providing professional IEM's to the entertainment industry. As someone who is involved with a large, internationally known rock band, I can tell you that most of the top musicians use both brands. Right now it appears that UE is stealing some of the thunder. I personally own both brands and haven't worn the Sensa's for quite some time, not for any other reason than they aren't my personal favorite. I think it's unfair to steer anyone on this forum that is serious about purchasing a Pro IEM towards just one of these companies. You should take a close look at both brands before making your decision. I can tell you from personal experience that materials used by both companies are not an issue.

welcome to head-fi, nice first post.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2004 at 1:49 AM Post #25 of 55
darn, I was expecting to witness a mega battle of top monitoring earphones and even got myself some popcorn too..
biggrin.gif
I guess I'll have to resort to baseball and the NHL playoff.

Apr 16, 2004 at 2:26 AM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by HRA

wow, maybe you can give us a comparison of the ue and sensa?

Apr 16, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #27 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by HRA
I personally own both brands and haven't worn the Sensa's for quite some time, not for any other reason than they aren't my personal favorite.

Can you elaborate on the reasons why? I'd like to know.. and which models of Sensaphonics and UE do you have?

Quote:

I can tell you from personal experience that materials used by both companies are not an issue.

Although I never got the UE IEM into my ears.. I can say I would never even try.. I didn't like the material, not even to my hands. I just like Sensaphonic's material that much more. I think any slight different in the material over matter of hours really do take its toll. There are days when I wear the 2X-S for more than 4 to 5 hours at work.

Apr 16, 2004 at 7:24 AM Post #28 of 55
we're all so crazy here...

Apr 17, 2004 at 1:45 AM Post #29 of 55
I have exactly two minutes to catch a plane...will respond later as to what IEM's I have. In short, they are all nice and serve a variety of purposes, pocketbooks, tastes and preferences. No one line should be discounted or bashed or not recommended. They all have a place for some listener. Earphones are such a personal choice and recommending them is very difficult as a perfect fit for me may not be for you. Comfort is in the ear of the beholder. I am an absolute stickler for comfort and performance. Both are equally important to me. I know plenty of people that will sacrifice comfort FOR performance and vice versa. Also, my definition of quality will certainly be different from yours. The reason I have so many different pairs are tri-fold. First, I am involved in the music business. Second, I have the opportunity to get pro equipment for free. Third, for the things I do not get for free I can afford to pay. IEM's are a very personal thing to me and I enjoy looking for the perfect set....which I've yet to find.

Apr 17, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #30 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by HRA

I agree with your views. Welcome to the board. Some of us here suffer from tunnel vission. Don't let that bother you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back