Comparison of Hifiman entry level closed backs Sundara closed vs HE-R9
Sep 29, 2023 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Trance_Gott

Headphoneus Supremus
This review is about the entry-level closed back headphones from Hifiman. These are the two models Sundara closed and HE-R9, which serve different target groups. With prices of 399 USD for the Sundara closed and 599 USD for the HE-R9, these are extremely affordable, considering the current street prices, which are also significantly lower.

Both headphones come with a long connection cable with 3.5mm jack and an adapter to 6.35mm. On the headphone side, the cable has 2 x 3.5mm jack. The HE-R9 also has the special feature that it can also be operated with a single plug, if you use a 3.5mm TRRS plug in this case. In addition, it can be operated with the separately available wireless module, which allows the headphones to be paired via Bluetooth.

PXL_20230927_154903415.jpg

The workmanship of both headphones is very good in this price range. There is nothing to complain about in the finish. The headband that Hifiman has developed are also used for other models and have proven themselves over time. In combination with the low weight of both headphones (whereby the HE-R9 is really light as a feather!) and the pleasant velour ear pads, they are very comfortable to wear and can be recommended without reservation even for long listening. The Sundara closed has wooden cups while the HE-R9 has plastic cups. My ears have more than enough room in both models, really more than enough in the HE-R9. The cups of the HE-R9 are larger and it reminds me because of the shape of this to the legendary Sony R10 and because of the color of a Fostex TH-900. That he has something in common with the latter more later.

Technically, the Sundara closed uses a planar magnetic driver and the HE-R9 uses a dynamic driver. For the operation and comparison of both headphones I use my iBasso DX320 MAX Ti. The Sundara closed requires a bit more power than the HE-R9. For my comparison I was on gain level 3 and in the volume range between 9 and 12 o'clock. So the MAX Ti can easily drive both. This information is based on the connection via 3.5mm unbalanced at the MAX Ti. Balanced via 4,4mm, gain 2 is usually sufficient. In the latter playing mode, the HE-R9 gains a bit more audibility and the Sundara closed gets a bit more powerful thrust in the bass. So here, too, we come to the conclusion that the balanced mode has a sound advantage over the unbalanced.

PXL_20230927_155115762.jpg

PXL_20230927_155155644.jpg

Tonally, we have to deal with completely different sound settings in both test samples. The HE-R9, which resembles the Fostex TH-900 not only on the outside, packs a punch in the bass range just like the Japanese headphone. The punch is already massive. Tonally, it is a warm sound and not to be compared with the TH-900, which sometimes comes along very bright in the treble. Simply put, the HE-R9 packs a punch like a TH-900 but adds a very warm signature like I would have liked from the TH-900 in the past. Fat bass means overlapping in other frequency ranges? No, not at all. The bass is really powerful, fast, detailed and doesn't blow out into the mids. Qualitatively, it's really very good, although it doesn't quite reach the TH-900's transparency. Stage-wise, it sounds rather intimate and very smooth. Instrument separation is good if you concentrate on it, but it is not served to you on a platter. Here, musicality was prioritized over resolution. And the HE-R9 put a smile on my face right out of the box. The part is already a lot of fun with metal and EDM. There is no other way to say that!

How does the Sundara closed sound in comparison? Quite different. It rather goes the way of an audiophile neutral tuning and is tuned brightly like many other Hifiman headphones. When switching from the HE-R9, the first thing you notice is the much leaner playing style and a stage that opens up even more on all sides. The resolution and audibility is higher with the Sundara closed and individual sound events can be heard more easily. The neutrally tuned bass offers more audibility down to the lowest registers. It is clearly more dignified in terms of punch than the HE-R9, but still offers enough pressure for most genres. Comparable to an Ananda Nano. The HE-R9 wins in terms of dynamic impact, the Sundara Closed in terms of speed.

Since they are both closed headphones, they isolate to the outside and inside. And both do that very well. Persons can not perceive medium volumes at all and you yourself are sufficiently shielded to use these headphones, for example, in front of a running TV, without perceiving the noise.

For the price of 399 USD for the Sundara Closed and 599 USD for the HE-R9 you get very good sound for a small price. For absolute bass lovers or people who listen to a lot of EDM and metal, the HE-R9 could definitely be something. Or those who have always wanted a warmer TH-900 should try the HE-R9. For all those who are looking for an audiophile neutral reproduction in the entry segment, the Sundara closed could be the right choice.

Attachments

• PXL_20230927_155136891.jpg
    PXL_20230927_155136891.jpg
    588.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230927_155214323.jpg
    PXL_20230927_155214323.jpg
    669.7 KB · Views: 0
Oct 3, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #2 of 3
For the current street prices they both offer spectacular sound. I see HE-R9 for 109 USD and Sundara closed for 229 USD now at Hifiman shop unbelievable...

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #3 of 3
Yes but 34$ shipping.🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back