Comparison of four closed cans - M-Audio Q40 vs. ATH-M50 vs. Shure SRH840 vs. GMP 8.35 D monitor (In progress)
Nov 27, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, and you've tried to push them to me.
tongue.gif

Well, asking for a trade is not the same as pushing, isn't it?
You wanted to get rid of a headphone, so did I
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #32 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, asking for a trade is not the same as pushing, isn't it?
You wanted to get rid of a headphone, so did I
smily_headphones1.gif

Lucky me, I know something is fishy with the HD-380.
ph34r.gif

Dec 6, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mow_the_hawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! Great review, found it very helpful. Also, how does the SRH840 compare to the HD25? I have been debating over these two for a while now.

SRH840 is quite a bit superior to stock HD25 in my opinion. Shures have deeper and much tighter bass, MUCH smoother midrange and a far more natural and better extended treble. And, of course, SRH840 kills HD25 on soundstage - it's just has so much more air in its sound. Personally, my main issue with stock HD25 was the lack of smoothness - they just sounded very coarse and dry - but the lack of tightness in the bass also drove me nuts often.

BTW, HD650 cable which many people here rave about as a great upgrade over the stock steel one only makes the sound of HD25 worse IMO - the soundstage goes from small, but with decent depth to nonexistent. If you add a high quality aftermarket cable instead, like a Headphile or Equinox, or Stefan Audio Art one, then the sound should improve, but considering that those cable cost about as much or more than HD25 itself, I would rather go for the Shures as a much better price/performance option.

Dec 8, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SRH840 is quite a bit superior to stock HD25 in my opinion. Shures have deeper and much tighter bass, MUCH smoother midrange and a far more natural and better extended treble. And, of course, SRH840 kills HD25 on soundstage - it's just has so much more air in its sound. Personally, my main issue with stock HD25 was the lack of smoothness - they just sounded very coarse and dry - but the lack of tightness in the bass also drove me nuts often.

BTW, HD650 cable which many people here rave about as a great upgrade over the stock steel one only makes the sound of HD25 worse IMO - the soundstage goes from small, but with decent depth to nonexistent. If you add a high quality aftermarket cable instead, like a Headphile or Equinox, or Stefan Audio Art one, then the sound should improve, but considering that those cable cost about as much or more than HD25 itself, I would rather go for the Shures as a much better price/performance option.

Thanks. I guess I'll be getting the Shures sooner or later then.

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #36 of 37
I'm looking for a headphone that is a little warmer and more "fun" than the SRH840's I currently own.  Circumaural, closed, under $300 ideally, comfortable enough that I can get home after a long day at work and just throw them on and chill out with some energetic music running, really get into it and start tapping my feet.

I totally agree with everything you've said about the SRH840's, but the headband and weight of the headphones are very troublesome for me (had them about half a year now, I'm somewhat used to them but it's not satisfactory) and I feel like I need to put in too much effort to really enjoy them.  I feel the enjoyment of SRH840's depends largely upon your ability to enjoy the detail they provide you in the music, which requires you to pay complete attention to the music to get the whole experience out of that.

Between the physical discomfort and the level of attention the SRH840's command from me, they aren't ideal for throwing on and rocking out with after a nine hour shift and an hour drive, you know what I'm saying?  I don't want to have to invest energy in my music, I want to throw on a pair of headphones and relax with music and sound that pumps me up and gets me excited rather than more exhausted.  
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not ragging on the SRH840's--I love them, they fit my taste very well.  I just need "easier" headphones, I guess, for those days when I don't want to think or pay attention to my music, I just want to have fun with it.

Any suggestions? :)  I really loved your comparison and I'm thinking about the Q40's.

Jan 11, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #37 of 37
I think Q40 would be a good fit, I love mine. 
beyersmile.png

These are engaging but at the same time quite analytical/detailed sounding as the mids and highs are very even and on a neutral level, at first there's a slight peak around 8~10kHz or so but after 50 hrs it settles in and it starts sounding very very balanced in the mids and highs while keeping a quite elevated bass response that is very detailed and accurate bass that extends very well.

There's one simple mod I recommend with the stock pads though as it's quite shallow pads, it just helps the sound (better bass response & soundstage & more neutral sounding mids & highs). Stock it looks like: 

Now take 1 piece of (kitchen) paper towel, cut it in half as a half is about suitable for one cup, roll it into 1 cm wide paper roll and stuff underneath the pads (you may have to cut an additional small piece):

Users who are viewing this thread

Back