Comparison of four closed cans - M-Audio Q40 vs. ATH-M50 vs. Shure SRH840 vs. GMP 8.35 D monitor (In progress)
Sep 19, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by skynetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Pianist: can you try to EQ these phones and tell us how many "peaks" and "holes" you feel with each one?
The lesser the better!

Sorry, I don't do such detailed tests. lol I am too lazy for that. But I can tell you for sure that out of the 4 cans in the comparison, Shure SRH840 is the one with the smoothest response with a slightly recessed upper bass and a slight mid bass hump, but no other obvious peaks or dips. GMP 8.35 D is close second with it's somewhat bumped bass and low treble, Q40 is in third place with an emphasized overall bass and mid bass, a peak in the low treble and recessed upper treble, while M50 has the most weired sound signature of them all with an emphasis on low and mid bass, somewhat forward low and mid midrange, recessed upper midrange and emphasized upper treble.

Sep 19, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice, Pianist. Thank you for taking the time to put all this together!

Glad you liked it. Hope this will help people make better buying decisions.

Nov 10, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #18 of 37
Cheers pianist, that was just what I needed to make my decisions between the M50 and the 840s, I wanted soundstage, and the shure got more of that.....a shame I read this review after I robbed my credit card for the shure's
tongue.gif
...at least I wont regret it now or have the nagging feeling
angry_face.gif

Thanks a lot!
beerchug.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #19 of 37
Grrrr I just got my ATH-m50s yesterday and although I am happy with them, I really wanted soundstage too and it seems like the Shure 840's have that. Sigh. I wonder if my seller will kindly exchange them.

And thank you for the detailed review. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Quite informational and helpful.

Nov 26, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #21 of 37
Im trying to decide between the Sennheiser HD380 and M-Audio Studiophile Q40. Can anyone shed light on which would be the better purchase for studio work with dance music compositions mixdowns and mastering?

Many thanks!

Nov 26, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesv1001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im trying to decide between the Sennheiser HD380 and M-Audio Studiophile Q40. Can anyone shed light on which would be the better purchase for studio work with dance music compositions mixdowns and mastering?

Many thanks!

The HD380 is a horrible sounding headphone with the weirdest treble ever.
The downside of the Q40 is too much bass. But overall it's a much better headphone IMO.

Nov 26, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD380 is a horrible sounding headphone with the weirdest treble ever.
The downside of the Q40 is too much bass. But overall it's a much better headphone IMO.

Thanks for the info.

I was originally looking at the AKG K702, BeyerDynamic DT880 and Ultrasone PRO750 but got told to check the Senns instead. Would one of these be better?

Nov 27, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #24 of 37
Great review. My feeling pretty much mirror yours on the Shure SRH840 I have about 100 hrs on mine and I am very impressed on how good they are and even plaw well on my Ipod touch, They love tube amps and really come to life. These ain't leaven.

Nov 27, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #28 of 37
Thanks! Great review, found it very helpful. Also, how does the SRH840 compare to the HD25? I have been debating over these two for a while now.

Nov 27, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mow_the_hawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! Great review, found it very helpful. Also, how does the SRH840 compare to the HD25? I have been debating over these two for a while now.

Great minds think alike. Waiting for a comparison.
popcorn.gif

Nov 27, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #30 of 37
Awesome comparison...very useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back