Comparison: How does a Samung smartphone compare to a Sony Discman portable CD player
Sep 1, 2012 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

elmura

New Head-Fier
So how does CD compare to a digital player? Both running into a quality portable amplifier from their 3.5mm analogue out? That was what quizzed me, so....

Intro: I've been in the audio game for long enough, and now I'm catching on to the portable  era. Especially now that I don't have access to my high end stereo / surround system. I've always wondered if a portable CD player to be superior to a portable digital player.

Method: Using RMAA software, I generated the calibration & test signals, recorded them to CD and transferred to my Samsung Galaxy Nexus (ICS 4.0.4 using Google standard music player with EQ disabled). The CD player is a Sony Discman D-365 (old) with all options disabled (no Bass boost, no ESP, no volume limiting).

The PC input level was fixed so that the amplifier was in the range of 10am - 2pm, depending on source & setting.

The CD player was tested at a couple volume levels (with the amp adjusted to match output levels). The phone was tested at full volume as my previous tests proved that this was superior for all measurements except THD.

Connected in parallel with the PC input (using 3.5mm splitter) was a pair of Denon AH-D2000 headphones to act as a real-world load.

Results:
Firstly, as I'm fairly new to this board, I can't post graphs, images or attachments yet.

Instead, here's a link to the graphs & summary chart.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/90236454/Sony%20Discman%20vs%20Galaxy%20Nexus.pdf

Conclusion:
The Galaxy Nexus has linear frequency response to 5kHz, then rolls off massively above 11kHz. The Sony Discman has no bass (obviously needs the bass boost to be switched on), but has much better high frequency extension.

Noise & Dynamic Range are only better in the Discman by 1-2dB at full volume but worse by the same at 60% volume.

THD: The Nexus kills the Disman at all levels.

IMD + N:  The Nexus kills the Disman at all levels.

Crosstalk:  The Nexus kills the Disman at all levels.

IMD + N Swept Frequency: The Nexus beats the Discman at 5kHz

So, a high quality smartphone has superior analogue out than a portable CD player... Hence, the DAC onboard is more important than the transport!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back