Comparison BTW HD 580 and HD 595 . . 600
Nov 22, 2004 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

phong

Head-Fier
[size=x-small]I guess I have decided on some new cans, either the Sennheiser HD 580 or the HD 595. I know there has been a thread in comparing the two (thread here) but it did not help me draw a conclusion.
confused.gif

I plan to use either one with an amp, so yes they will be amped. I am planning maybe a customized MINT from JMT or if there is money, the Gilmore Lite. I have heard that the HD 580 needs to be amped, and it will sound wonderful and that the HD 595 would benefit from amplification. I like to listen to a wide range of music, basically everything from rock to vocals, jazz, hip/hop-R&B, well you get the idea. I have read that the HD 595 is a great all around performer, that is very neutral, doing many things well (also having a very upfront soundstage), though some may say lacking "character."

The HD 580, as some say, sounds better than the 595 with an amp, but I am questioning whether how they both compare when amped.

Which one should I get for my needs and my music tastes (which is about everything)? The sound source will vary, iPod or computer, or hooked up to my recevier. etc.
Alas, the price difference of both are not to great. Or should I look in saving up for the HD 600 and what kind of prices can I expect these days from an authorized Sennheiser dealer for the 600s? If I can find them new for no more than $250 (JandR has them for $299 and I remember hearing they are authorized . . maybe get them to price match somewhere else?). Yeah, unless I can get them for kinda cheap, I won't really consider them.

Remember I want a pair of cans that will do well all-around and yes I plan to use an amp. HD 595 or HD 580 or should I even consider the HD 600s? And yes that 5 year extended warranty is tempting to get the 600s.
600smile.gif

Please provide your input.

[/size]

Nov 22, 2004 at 4:05 AM Post #2 of 3
That's a tough one. Just audition both and send back the ones you don't want.
To me, the 595s are more versatile but don't have quite the quality of the 580/600s. But then again, some people say the 580/600s are boring. It's always a personal decision.
Like I said, get them both, listen to them for a week or two and send back the ones you don't like.
(I'll bet you like them both for different reasons.)

Nov 22, 2004 at 2:38 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog
(I'll bet you like them both for different reasons.)

Exactly. I have a hard time thinking about selling my 580 - unless I can add $100 to get a used 650 ! But I can't even think of selling 595. I finally was able to a/b them against 650 and I think the 595 hold up on its own very well especially at almost half the price of 650.

If 595 sound like neutral phones perhaps 580 are more like bass n treble phones. I'm not saying 580 mids are bad but primarily the differences are slightly a. fuller mids and b. 'closer' presentation.

Oh well, those things were already mentioned on earlier thread. If this doesn't help then yes the only way to draw consclusion is to listen to both. Don't worry too much about amplification, the difference won't be night and day now that you are using receivers' phone jack.

Remember to add all imhos etc and with respect to their price 580 < 595 <<< 600 << 650

Users who are viewing this thread

Back