Comparison between the best "bang for your buck earphones/earbuds (under $25)"
Mar 1, 2015 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Dragonsan

Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi. This post will be a short comparison between several low-end earphones/earbuds that are arguably the best (and cheapest) bang for your buck earphones out there. From this point on, I will be referring to both earbuds and earphones as "earbuds". I understand that there is a distinct difference, but to avoid confusion and redundant statements, I feel as though this abbreviation is necessary.

All earbuds were listened to unamped straight from an iPhone 6. All files were in FLAC format.

Apple Earpods
This is the arguably one of the most popular pair of earbuds out there, and henceforth will be used as the control in this comparison.
If you haven't used them already, I'll give you a brief rundown of the Apple Earpods.
They have a terrible sound to price ration, and on top of that offer a terrible fit. Get ready for earbuds that easily fall out of your ears and require more volume, folks.
That being said, they aren't all THAT bad. They are used by the majority for a reason: they are easily obtainable and offer a really clean design (that all Apple products have). Not to mention an inline remote that most earbuds at that price range lack. Sound quality wise, they lack significant amount of detail, which the other earbuds in this review put to shame. 3/5

Soundsoul S-108
Arguably the best of all of the bunch, these headphones boast an outstandingly clear sound that rivals earbuds up to four times its price.
The treble is clear and detailed, and the bass is definitely present. While the bass is present in each and every song, never did I feel that it bled into the midrange and affected higher frequencies. The sound signature is probably the most neutral of the bunch as well. Soundstage is great, provided that only a couple of instruments are playing. I found that on more complex pieces, the S-108's soundstage decreased significantly, even at times producing sound that to my ears seemed flat and two dimensional. All in all, a great pair of earbuds though. Stylish with wood accent housings, and (what looks like to be) a braided cable (although this cable does have microphonics), the Soundsoul S-108 is probably the best in terms of cost vs. performance. 4.8/5

Audio Technica CLR-100
The cheapest of the bunch, the Audio Technica certainly gives you a run for your money. They can be found as low as $12 on Amazon, and probably even cheaper on sites like eBay.
Detail blows the Apple Earpods out of the water. While the detail isn't as great as the Soundsoul S-108 (and the soundstage nonexistent), the bass is most prominent and accentuated of the bunch. Unlike the Soundsoul S-108, the Audio Technica CLR-100 is very bass heavy (too much for my tastes), just like the company's esteemed M50 series. Beats lovers should love these earbuds. They are a great alternative to the earbud range of Beats by Dre, and are 4x less. They are great to listen to, and suit just about every genre out there, too. 4.3/5

Xiaomi Pistons
These are the most comfortable of the bunch and are almost on par with the Soundsoul S-108... but not quite. It should also be noted that these have microphonics, just like every other pair reviewed so far. I also feel as though that the Soundsoul S-108 has just a pinch more sound detail and clarity than this; however, what I feel the Xiaomis excel at are their bass quantity and quality. While not as bass heavy as the CLR-100 and not as neutral as the S-108, the Xiaomis offer a great amount of bass that doesn't overwhelm most tracks, and at the same time offer quite good quality. Soundstage is really small compared to the S-108s, however. In terms of design, these are, without a doubt, a pair of some of the most beautiful pair of earbuds I've ever seen. I don't think anyone out there would disagree with me on this. These are absolutely GORGEOUS to look at. 4.5/5

Klipsch R6i
All the above earbuds challenge earbuds at other price ranges in terms of sound, looks, and comfort. These IEMs are branded as "reference" by Klipsch at a price tag of ~$90 + shipping (although it can be found on eBay for much less). Sound quality is about on par with the CLR-100, offering clarity, although not as superior as the S-108, and substantial bass quantity.
What the Klipsch R6i excels at over the other earbuds in this review is its comfort, sound isolation, and fit that is simply unparalleled in its price range. I even found my Shure SE846s to be irritating to wear after listening periods longer than an hour, whereas I can keep the Klipsch R6i on for the entire day, while its fit rivals even the IE800, that are prone to falling out of my ear. Unlike the SE846s, however, and just like the other earbuds in this review, the R6i does suffer from microphonics, and quite a bit at that. Even the slightest bit of movement produces a substantial amount of noise. These are definitely not a pair you want to bring with you for a run. They'd probably be better suited for use on a commute home from work on a bus or train. (Although never on a bicycle/car--always exercise caution when operating any type of vehicle, folks! Earbuds can easily distract you from your environment by drowning outside noise, which is VERY dangerous!). 4/5

Conclusion
All in all, each earbud has its own merits to suit every type of individual's taste. The SoundSoul S-108 with its superiority in clarity, although at the cost of fit; the CLR-100 with its bass quantity that is sure to please the masses, but with a basically nonexistent soundstage; and the Xiaomi Pistons, the most beautiful and best built of the bunch, at the cost of detail. As with any purchase, my best advice is to try them all and simply return the ones you didn't like. 

Happy shopping! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back