Comparison between DACs: Schiit Modi, ODAC, Audioquest Dragonfly and HRT Microstreamer?
Nov 18, 2013 at 10:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

PTom

100+ Head-Fier
Comparing only the performance of the DACs in the Audioquest Dragonfly and the HRT Microstreamer, is there a big difference between them and the Schiit Modi and the ODAC?

Since the Dragonfly and Microstreamer are smaller portable devices, I'm guessing they sacrifice performance of the DAC for size? 

Nov 18, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 2
Having used the Schiit Modi and the AQ Dragonfly I can comment on them.  Personally I don't hear a big difference between them but I do hear a difference.  I hear more detail in the highs and an overall smoother sound out of the Modi than the Dragonfly.  Neither is lacking in bass but I feel the Dragonfly packs more of a punch in the bass section than the Modi without sounding bloated.  The Modi sounds to have a smoother response going from the bass into the mids but still pack a punch.  As a whole I don't feel that the Dragonfly sacrifices performance for its size as it is a very capable small dac.  Many people have said to like the Modi over the ODAC but I haven't heard it so won't comment on its performance and the same with the Microstreamer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back