Comparing the XM-5, Predator, and 2move.
Jul 11, 2008 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Pantocrator

Head-Fier
Does anyone have an idea how these stack up? Considering how new the XM-5 is, there have not been many reviews of it. These are the members of my final selection group. There have been some predator vs 2move threads, but so far nobody has published anything about the xm-5 save ASR. So... any thoughts? The general consensus is that the XM-5 has a weak DAC, but that is all I have garnered so far as mostly universally accepted.

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 2
I can only comment on the XM5. I've upgraded this little beauty from the stock OPA134 opamp to an OPA627 and rolled it with BUF634 buffers. The result is pure audio bliss. I've tested it with a Beyerdynamic DT250 (250 ohms) and a Grado SR125. It drove both of them without a sweat, with plenty of power to spare (the volume pot is only on the 9 o'clock position). To my ears, the XM5 delivers the good sound which is fun and enjoyable. And for me, that's what really matters.

People are saying that the XM5 has a weak DAC. I find this consensus a lot of bull. I tried the DAC on my laptop connected to a Logitech THX speakers and the sound is fun and enjoyable to my ears. And for me, that's what really matters.

The XM5 amp is a little gem waiting to be heard and discovered. I suggest you give this amp a try and I can guarantee you will be satisfied with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantocrator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have an idea how these stack up? Considering how new the XM-5 is, there have not been many reviews of it. These are the members of my final selection group. There have been some predator vs 2move threads, but so far nobody has published anything about the xm-5 save ASR. So... any thoughts? The general consensus is that the XM-5 has a weak DAC, but that is all I have garnered so far as mostly universally accepted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back