Comparing the Shure E500 with q-JAYS, updated 9/7
Jun 25, 2007 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

Claus-DK

1000+ Head-Fier
As i promised in another thread.
I finally got both the wife and baby to sleep and can play with my toys
etysmile.gif

This will be a work in progress, I will listen to 5 songs I like, on my Ipod 5,5, amped with X1 amplifier...

Both are really very good IEMs, none of them are in no way bad playing and I am glad I do not have to choose between, them when the q-JAYS comes out..
biggrin.gif

I'll do the testing by insert the first pair shuffle until I find a song I want to hear, then I change phones listen to the same song again and writing what the difference was to my ears, then I shuffled to the next song without changing phones..changing phones skip a song back and so forth..

A thanks to PetCed (and JAYS) that have given me this opportunity..

I will start With "Me and Bobby mcgee" performed by Jennifer lowe hewitt from the album "barenaked"

The first thing that came to mind when i Changed to the Shures was that, I did not sing that well and sounded much different than under the shower, they brougth me so close to the music it was like I was singing myself
confused.gif
confused.gif

I also noticed the deeper and more bass..

And the voice sounded better to me (ofcource I was singing)..

Next song
"Ready or not" with the Fugees from a mixed cd..

E500

With the Shure it was like the sound was circulating around me, like I was standing in the middle and the bass notes and drums was revolving around me, very pleasent expirence..

Then I changed to q-JAYS.

I noticed at once that there was more and higher highs, then I noticed there was a bit less bass..
This time the bass notes and drums was going from side to side in front off me, a bit less involving..

"Hotel California" by the Eagles (live) from hell freezes over..

q-JAYS

I am sitting playing drums with a big crowd standing in front of me and the band. And the roars and cheers rolls towards me, cooool..

Shift to E500

I first noted the more soft and warm guitar and later I found the voice marginally better...

The crow was much smaller and I was standing in the first row, the music was infront of me and the crowd behind me..

I missed the treble, but gained the deep and more plentyfull bass..

Then on to some rock..

"Rock you like a hurricane" scorpions, love at first sting (i think)

E500

This is great everything, is just so good powerpumping bass smoth voice and great memories of a time gone by...

This is the last change tonight

q-JAYS.

Now it got even better, the guitar was more aggresive, the voice got sharpend up..

And then again I noticed less bass and more highs...

Thats all folks, for this evening and I still like both IEMs a lot...dare I say love
tongue.gif

Next up will be some more livemusic and other genres..

Jun 26, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #3 of 78
It is hard to judge how much lower it goes, it can also be as an result that there is a bigger quantum...

Personally I am not a basshead, so I do not miss the bass when using q-JAYS,
It is not something I would try to eq my way out of or anything, because it sounds a bit more right than the Shure who is a little bit on the bassy side (for me at least), but after wearing them for some time I start to enjoy the bass...

Like I see it is a matter of choosing the signature you like, because both are great phones...

You kind of has to decide if you like the highs or the lows the most..

Also do you like it to sound warm and smooth, or have a little more edge to it..

Also the price matters the q-JAYS will be cheaper.

They also looks very different if that matters, the shure is a little bling thing and q-JAYS are nearly invisible when worn..

Jun 26, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #4 of 78
Thanks for the review
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'm curious thought, between both, which one can convey a greater detail? The thing that surprised me for the E500 is its ability to convey great detail with its laid back highs.

Jun 26, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 78
BTW
I will not take a stand and tell you which, I like better, mostly because it would not be fair to the Shures, they where so much more expensive to me and taken that into account ,SQ to $, nobody really can't beat a freebee....

I will also in no way be buyers towards JAYS because of their present..

But I will tell you how, I percieve the music with the different phones, and what the differenece is, or at least what I Notice the most, when going from phone to phone...

Jun 26, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #6 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by glac1er /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'm curious thought, between both, which one can convey a greater detail? The thing that surprised me for the E500 is its ability to convey great detail with its laid back highs.

Thanks

Yes it is a beautifull thing, lying there submersed in sound...

I am really not a "detail freak", but I will try to pay more attention to the smaller details, in the evenings to come..

Tonights songs were all a bit bass-heavy I will try to get through as many genres as possible on the road..

Jun 27, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #11 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Choo Choo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you please comment on the comfort of the Jays?

I am very used to using earplugs, so I might not be the rigth guy to ask about comfort..
Both phones are quite comfortable, but it easier with the q-JAYS because they do not have the angle like the Shures, so they slip in a little easier..

In the ear there is not much difference, the comfort is often more related to the tips than the actual phone IMO, as long as the stalk is not too fat..

For this test I am using foamies for both phones, I do this to make the surrounding as equal as possible..

Jun 27, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #13 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The black shure foamies fit on the q-JAYS?

I will have to pass on this one...
the stalk on both the q and d are fatter than on the shures, but if its soft in the middle it schould be possible..

Maybe the ones for the se210, I have heard that the older model had a fatter stalk ??

Jun 28, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #14 of 78
Tonight I start out with some live music..

Still haven't found what I'm looking for, by U2 , from Rattle and hum..

starting with the q-JAYS:

Nice soundstage, not as big as my dt 880, but it is a fairly big stadium..

I can place the instruments on the stage.

I am standing apr 20 meters from stage, but the crowd is making me feel like it is a much bigger place.

Everything is there, the details are really comming forward..

If someone has the DVD please tell me if I am correct when I say that there are between 10 and 14 cospel-singers ??

Now for the e500..

Bono´s voice is smoother.

The sound is more warm..

the band has come closer toogether..

I can still point out the instruments but it is harder and they are "closer" to each other..

I just love this bass, so powerfull..

standing 10 meters from stage, and the crowd indicates that this must be indoors or a small stadium..

Details are a bit different I notice thing in the bass that was not so apparent before, and miss some details in the higher notes..

On to
Blue suede shoes also live, by Jimi Hendrix from The Jimi Hendrix experince box-set.

e500

I know that this is not the best recording in the world, but I really like Jimi´s guitar..

This just sound so right, I can hear every drumbeat, every upside/down string

If you are in to this kind of music it is close to heaven..

q-JAYS

Jimi´s voice is easier to hear.

The Guitar has more edge, drums are more crisp.

Overall the song now has more edge and sharpness to it..

This also sounds just right but in an other way, more realistic in lack of better words..

but the recording failures is more noticeble..

next song.
Young lust (live), by Pink Floyd, from is there anybody out there.

q-JAYS

It is a very big stage, the musicians are far apart..

the guitars are nice and sharp but a little in the background like most of the other things.

I know it sounds strange but i fell that I am really standing a long way back 1oo meters or so.

the crowd is not sounding like it is big enough for the stadium, which is kind of strange cuz when I saw them in Berlin in the 90es it was packed to say the least..

Could be the way it is recorded..

E500

warmer like allways.

More intimate sounding, smaller stage.

it sounds a little bit crowded on the stage..

The crow is hard to hear, but I am closer to the music..

I miss the cymbals, they are not as sharp as before..

tonights last song
Andrea Bocelli, Con te partiro, from greatest hits.

E500

I just love this voice and song..

I like the way his voice is vibrating.

It is like that only his voice are there, I can hear every instrument but they are somewhat recessed..

this song is always to short...

q-JAYS

the voice is more even with the rest of the music..

I still love the voice..

It sounds more like I am there seeing him standing in front of a big orcestra.

I hear the instuments more clearly.

The "big" parts are more full of sound, beautifull sound that is..

the violins sounds much better..

that was it for tonight..

I am writing this on the go, listening, writing down what comes to mind, to get so little thougthproces as possible, before I write my impressions...
This also does that I do not write from the memory but "straigth from the heart" which will be one of the next songs..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back