Comparing the HD 650 with in-ear monitors
Jun 22, 2006 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

mamapossible

New Head-Fier
Hi! I know that choosing a pair of headphone is ultimately a subjective choice. However, I'm sure this forum's experience could really help me.

Here's my dilemna: I'd like to buy some *nice* cans. I'm looking at the Sehnheiser HD 650, which retails around 210 pounds GBP ($550).

Now on the other hand I keep hearing a lot of hype about those in-ear monitors, such as the Shure E4 Pro or the coming Shure E500, which also happen to cost quite a bit less. I'm really enthusiastic about their high isolation in particular.

The question is: sound quality-wise, at the same price range, which one would sound better? A regular pair of cans or the 'in ear' ones? I listen to electronica, trip hop, etc.

I look forward to your suggestions and getting the cans to make me look like this
eggosmile.gif

Jun 22, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 22
depends on if you have an amp or not. If you have an amp then HD 650 are going to sound better. IMO. Without an amp, I go with IEMs. E500s aren't out yet but wont be on the same level as the HD650 or UE-10s.

Jun 22, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 22
I'm owning a Sennheiser 435, and it's better than any IEM I've owned. You'll miss a lot of dynamics/air when using an IEM, but with the high-end models you'll get indeed great detail, cause the're so close to the eardrum. But even at half the price of a top-of-the-line IEM, you can buy an open can that spits on your IEM. Just to be clear, I'm making this statement while using an amp in between.

Jun 22, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamapossible

I look forward to your suggestions and getting the cans to make me look like this
eggosmile.gif

The 650 will do that
tongue.gif
--they handle EQ (extra deep bass) very well.

I agree with Chris and unless you have or plan on owning an amp ($200+) then IEMs are for you because the 650 really does need a decent amp.

Jun 22, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #6 of 22
Where will you be listening? - i.e. noisy or quiet environment
What will be your source? - DAP, CDP, amped, un-amped, etc.
Will you be listening "on the go"? - listening while commuting, or just at home

The answers to these questions will help you make the best decision.

Jun 22, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 22
Thanks for all the answer so far.

The source will be my computer sound card and .flac files until I can afford better :-D The environment is not particulary noisy (short of the odd passing car), until the kids barge in, that is :-D

As for paying 220 pounds for the cans being insane, I'm sure it is, everything in England is overpriced anyway. Usually you end up paying close to double for everything.

Finally, I'm worried about the comments regarding the absolute need for an amp - does it mean:
1) it would be a lot nicer sounding with an amp, but it would still work without?
or
2) it's unusable without an amp?

Because I was planning to buy the amp later, as an 'upgrade'. (it's already expensive enough as it is, I don't want have to buy another set of cans later)

Thanks!

Jun 22, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 22
Equally priced full size phones will usually be a lot better than IEMs.

I'd even go so far to say that high end full size phones sound better than high end IEMs that may cost a lot more.

Jun 23, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by barkas
I'd even go so far to say that high end full size phones sound better than high end IEMs that may cost a lot more.

Try some UE-10's.

To the OP: you must factor in an amp to the cost of the HD 650. But with a good amp, they're great phones. If you're on the fence about iem's, then I recommend trying some first, or buying from a store with a good exchange policy so you can see if they're for you.

Jun 23, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak
They're fine without an amp...they'll just really blossom with a good amp. I think you can be happy with the HD650 sans amp if you've never heard a good amp before.

disagree.. don't buy these headphones if you didn't have an amp.

Jun 23, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #12 of 22
I've owned the 650s for a while and I do agree that they do a fair bit better with an amp (a good amp that is..). However when ampless, I really don't thnik that they are as horrible as people make them sound. I lived without an amp for around 2 months, and even with my current equipment I do occasionally run that rig (PCDP --> 650s), I really don' think that they are as doom and gloomy as some people make them seem.

Jun 23, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #13 of 22
Just tonight I decided to listen to my 650 using my Micro amp powered from my cheapo Energizer NiMH 9V batteries, they last maybe 3 hours...after the Micro died I plugged the 650 into my ZV:M(which was my source) to test my theory.

With the volume maxed on the ZV:M , the 650 sounded lifeless compared to the Micro and without adequate volume.

Jun 23, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamapossible
The source will be my computer sound card and .flac files until I can afford better :-D The environment is not particulary noisy (short of the odd passing car), until the kids barge in, that is :-D

As for paying 220 pounds for the cans being insane, I'm sure it is, everything in England is overpriced anyway. Usually you end up paying close to double for everything.

Another piece of advice, this time from the other side.

If you are going to listen to your earphones directly from pc output then
I'd suggest you getting HD595 model. It has 50 ohm resistance so you
have no problem driving those earphone from your PC, most of the large
DAPs should drive it too. I can listen them on Rio Karma and iPod nano
without any problems.

And btw comparing HD595 vs 650, it appears 595 model is better balanced than his older brother, which is often told to have too much bass.

Wether it gets better with an amp, I cant tell you, as I will be receiving
mine in a week or so (it has been shipped on tuesday from Canada).

Another plus is that you can order them for around 110EURO + shipping from German online stores. Last time I was looking for them the total for HD595
to Poland came out 144 EURO. Shouldn't be much difference with UK shipping.

Jun 23, 2006 at 1:40 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Try some UE-10's.

To the OP: you must factor in an amp to the cost of the HD 650. But with a good amp, they're great phones. If you're on the fence about iem's, then I recommend trying some first, or buying from a store with a good exchange policy so you can see if they're for you.

Not all reviews of the UE10s are entirely positive, and for $1000 you can get a lot of headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back