Comparing my Monoprice 8323 to my N-Tune by Monster. Need help with articulating differences.
Nov 14, 2013 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ajp120

Head-Fier
I just got both headphones and am comparing them while I wait on my Senn 25-1 II to get here.

I still am having a hard time with wording the differences or knowing exactly what it is I'm interpreting. 

I compared the two listening to Daft Punk's Random Access Memories which is pretty eclectic musically and does a lot of difference genres in one album.

First, the N-Tune. It has very good base. It is much lower than the 8323s and faster. I noticed though that everything else seems very small. I read many reviews saying it has a very bright sound, and It seems small and condensed to me instead. 

The 8323 on the other hand has a fuller richer sound, but is still very dark. There sub bass isn't as good as the N-Tune and I'm not sure what exactly is the treble when I listen to Daft Punk...I might not even be hearing it with the 8323 since its rumored to have a treble roll off. The main thing I noticed was the sound was more "open?" and fun. There was more fun interplay between stereo sides with the left and right ears. It is very hard to explain but it was like the notes were dancing between ears much more so than the N-Tune which had a much more condensed sound.   Everyone says the 8323 has very forward mids and I think I get that when I listen to it as there is a certain full-ness, loudness, and presence when I listen to them which give them a very enjoyable experience for most genres. 

Alternatively, I listen to Sprawl II by Arcade Fire on both and the sustained synths sounded better on my N-Tune and I heard synths that I didn't notice before on the Monoprice 8323. 

Anyone want to help elaborate on what I am actually hearing and help my vocabulary for audio?

Thanks so much

Nov 14, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 2
Hi!

I think this is the right place to start:
http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back