Comparing lower-end IEMs for running
May 17, 2010 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

wicked.ludicrous

Head-Fier
After looking here for some suggestions, I've looked at some IEMs under $50 that seem decent. But I've already gone through 3 pairs of IEMs within 2.5 years and it's frustrating because for some unknown reason, 1 earpiece always goes out....
So I'm thinking of getting one of the following that has good quality (not sound) that won't break within the next 2 years. I know that's a long way, but I just want some consistency.
Anyways, here are the models I've been looking at for running use. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated:

Altec Lansing UHP 336
Ultimate Ears MetroFi 200v - heard this and the UHP 336 were similar
SoundMagic PL30 and PL50
Nuforce NE-6 - don't need the microphone so NE-6 is the right model I think
JVC HA-FXC50 - I saw a comparison between this and the PL50 and read that PL50 were better.

So yeah, I've got these headphones tabbed up on my browser and keep going back and forth looking at reviews. I'm leaning towards the SoundMagic PL50's.
Would it be a sound choice to go with them?
Thanks

May 17, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 16
Unless you're a mid foot runner, I strongly recommend against IEMs. The noise you make running is prohibitive to any listening. You should get a portable (maybe the closed Sennheiser PX200).

Among those, maybe the NE6 or JVC is it's bass heavy. You'll need to find something with a tight fit.

May 17, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 16
PL30 and PL50 are both pretty good for exercise. The Meelec M6 is another good exercise option.

Just an fyi: UHP336 and Metro200 don't really sound alike. But I wouldn't recommend either one for running, especially not the UHP336. Too much cable noise.

May 17, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 16
I run with pl-50. FYI if you run at the gym, the cable is a bit short to rest on the treadmill. It can be done, but you need to run right up at the front. I bought the pl50 after my shure e4's cracked on the cables twice I love the sound, but can't justify that crappy cable quality. I'm sure it had something to do with the sweat.

I haven't found microphonics (sound of feet hitting) to be toooooo bad with the Pl50's, though to be sure, not as good as it was with the Shures. Isolation is average. This may be a positive or negative depending on where and when you run. Dynamic IEMs will have less isolation, should you desire it.

May 18, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #7 of 16
Thanks for all the input
But I'm now also looking at the Meelec M6 and it looks and seems really nice. I can't find any PL50s under $50 and the maroon Meelec M6 are listed at $30 on the meelec website. But does anyone know the difference between the normal one and the premium version? From the pictures, the premiums have a different tip but the description in the maroon one says it's also premium......
confused.gif

http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_AI_M6_Stylish_Earphones_p/earphone-m6rd-mee.htm

May 18, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
Thanks for all the input
But I'm now also looking at the Meelec M6 and it looks and seems really nice. I can't find any PL50s under $50 and the maroon Meelec M6 are listed at $30 on the meelec website. But does anyone know the difference between the normal one and the premium version? From the pictures, the premiums have a different tip but the description in the maroon one says it's also premium......
confused.gif

http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_AI_M6_Stylish_Earphones_p/earphone-m6rd-mee.htm

The maroon M6 are the old version. Do not buy them for running - you really want the newer cable that comes on the black/clear ones if you plan to move about. 

May 18, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #9 of 16
Alright cool, I think I'm going to get the M6. Seems like the memory wire can be a pain at first, but it should work fine in the end for me. But one last question: this is the correct model, right?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826735006&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Headphones+and+Accessories-_-MEElectronics-_-26735006

The BK in the product name is throwing me off...

May 19, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #11 of 16
Altec Backbeat Classic.

Once upon a time, they were called the Backbeat Titanium 326. Cheaper if you find those, under $30.

May 19, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
Alright cool, I think I'm going to get the M6. Seems like the memory wire can be a pain at first, but it should work fine in the end for me. But one last question: this is the correct model, right?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826735006&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Headphones+and+Accessories-_-MEElectronics-_-26735006

The BK in the product name is throwing me off...

Those are the ones. Jump on them. Very good price. The memory wire is a very good one. That is a main improvement over the older version. The stainless wire they use in it is much "softer" than the more rigid copper wire in the old one. It is a very secure comfortable IEM for me. Enjoy.

May 20, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #14 of 16
Dunno how serious you are, Gluegun, but be very careful if you're transitioning to barefoot running; its popularity on the internet far exceeds its popularity with real runners in real life, and there's a reason for it. If you're biomechanically perfect it's fine, but the vast majority of us aren't, and have spent decades shoving our feet into shoes, so barefoot running can be the fast track to burstitis, shin splints, or worse. I speak with some experience.

General running advice, that's good for barefoot as shoes: high cadence (fast steps), slight forward lean, foot striking under centre of gravity, aerobic capacity will generally exceed physical capacity of ligaments, tendons, etc so don't do too much too fast.

May 20, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #15 of 16
Barefoot running is fun, but I'd have to agree. Get some barefoot style shoes to walk around in before you even attempt running that way seriously. You can run mid foot without running barefoot; I trained myself to do that last cross country season. Heel striking hurts my knees (which are already weak from tennis) so I didn't really have a choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back