Comparing JDS Labs EL DAC vs Hifime UDA38Pro. What to choose?
May 23, 2018 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Partizan

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I'm looking for new DAC for my audio system. My system now - PC (audio source) connected via USB to Denon PMA-50 and speakers Dali Zensor 3.

And I found 2 very interesting DACs - JDS Labs EL DAC and Hifime UDA38Pro. Both DACs based on very good chips: AK4490EQ and ES9038Pro. Both have exactly the same price. Both have a very good reviews from users. I found a lot of reviews in Internet for EL DAC. But I can't find a lot of info about UDA38Pro except on official web site.
I can try to summarize all info about how these DACs sound:
EL DAC - Black, exceptionally clear and almost invisible with only a touch of warmth, the EL Dac characterizes it self with it's subtleties.
UDA38Pro - It does not sound like a typical Sabre DAC. More like a Sabre/AKM hybrid.
I heard how ESS chip sounds - my LG V30+ has ES9218P. And I like this sound. But I've never heard how can sound DAC based on AKM chips. Unfortunately I can't test these DACs before buying.

So it is very hard to choose for me between these two DACs.... I very like EL DAC design. But UDA38Pro based on the best ESS chip.

What is your opinion about these DACs?

I will be happy with any information that can help me make a choice.

May 23, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 9
I'm not sure putting a DAC between the PC and the Denon will make much of a noticeable difference?
(guessing)

May 23, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #3 of 9
I compared DAC in Denon PMA-50 (connected via USB to my PC) and LG V30+ (connected to this Denon by mini-jack->RCA cable). And I noticed a big difference. Actually I started looking for new DAC after that test. I hope new better DAC will sounds much better than DAC in Denon.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #4 of 9
I compared DAC in Denon PMA-50 (connected via USB to my PC) and LG V30+ (connected to this Denon by mini-jack->RCA cable). And I noticed a big difference. Actually I started looking for new DAC after that test. I hope new better DAC will sounds much better than DAC in Denon.
So you noticed a difference, your saying the audio sounded better when the LGV30+'s DAC function is used in the audio stream.
So yea I guess getting a DAC does make more sense.
Maybe something in the $42-$70 range?
https://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs?sort=p.price&order=ASC

Have you tried using a PC program like Foobar2000 (with WASAPI installed) to play music file on your PC, to send digital audio thru to the Denon, using USB?

May 24, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #5 of 9
So you noticed a difference, your saying the audio sounded better when the LGV30+'s DAC function is used in the audio stream.
So yea I guess getting a DAC does make more sense.
Maybe something in the $42-$70 range?
https://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs?sort=p.price&order=ASC

Have you tried using a PC program like Foobar2000 (with WASAPI installed) to play music file on your PC, to send digital audio thru to the Denon, using USB?

I noticed very big difference between DACs in Denon and LG V30+. I was sceptical when I started this test. But this was a big suprise for me how differently these DACs can sound.

I'm new in HiFi but not in PC. Of course I'm using Foobar2000 (with WASAPI) for years. I know about lossless audio formats and have my own music collection (in FLAC, SACD, DVD-A). And I tested Denon and LG V30+ with the same tracks in FLAC.

And with this DAC upgrade I want to move forward from entry-level HiFi to the next level. I suppose my next upgrade could be new amp (intead of my current Denon PMA-50).

May 24, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #6 of 9
I noticed very big difference between DACs in Denon and LG V30+. I was sceptical when I started this test. But this was a big suprise for me how differently these DACs can sound.

I'm new in HiFi but not in PC. Of course I'm using Foobar2000 (with WASAPI) for years. I know about lossless audio formats and have my own music collection (in FLAC, SACD, DVD-A). And I tested Denon and LG V30+ with the same tracks in FLAC.

And with this DAC upgrade I want to move forward from entry-level HiFi to the next level. I suppose my next upgrade could be new amp (intead of my current Denon PMA-50).

I have the EL DAC in my hifi system, and it is an awesome little DAC for the money.

IMG_20171124_074726.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back