Comparing HPamp sections - SQ, gain & impedance only, ignore DAC BT etc
Jul 8, 2020 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

john61ct

Head-Fier
I was going to order the Schiit HEL, really appeals to me, love that big knob on top, but I've learned it hasn't much flexibility in its microphone / call handling, so now exploring other options.

Decided that the DAC side is now such a commodity, and BT so specialized, not looking here for a "source" as such, forget EQ or preamp features or apps, really just want to focus on

powerfully driving headphones with top SQ, best of breed "power amp" units, that aspect alone.

Really want:

own internal battery, or at least USB driven

smaller the better, light & portable but not willing to sacrifice much output power for that
obviously clean transparent SQ

For comparison, HEL's specs:
Low/High Gain switch - 1 (0dB) or 5 (14dB)
handles both high sensitivity and low-efficiency planars, 1000mW into 32 ohms, 1200mW into 16 ohms
200mW of power at 300 ohms

Apparently DX3 Pro is in the same ballpark in a smaller package, 1 watt of power into 33 ohm?

Topping L30 even higher, 2.2W into 32ohm, 16ohm power is 2.8W, input impedance is 2.5K

But better portability, better value for money out there?

I also like what I've read about the Periodic Nickel, apparently the way it handles impedance is excellent, from my notes:

"excellent SQ transparent, clean solid bass large **damping factor** > 100 @ 32 Ohms
No worries with double-amping; the amp in your player is feeding Nickel's 10 kOhm input impedance, so it's doing NO current or power - just more voltage gain. So basically there's no "double amping", your player's amp is now a preamplifier (since it's supplying essentially zero current/power) and that feeds into Nickel."

I plan to select cans after the HPamp, but would like as much as possible to not be too limited in my choices, want plenty of power headroom, even if my listening is at moderate SPL, so the power output and impedance issues really are the top priority here.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 3
You first need a better title for the thread as I have no idea what you want to discuss simply by browsing through the title.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back