Comparing headphones by frequencies: Redundant?
Apr 5, 2015 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Dimension

New Head-Fier
THIS IS FOR MUSIC PRODUCTION!

Since you can eq the master... does comparing how the frequencies sound seem redundant since you can just eq them all on the master channel to sound ready/flat for production/mixing?

If so... How else would you compare? Soundstage?

How would you compare the soundstage of the hd800's to the lcd's?

Apr 6, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 3
Some headphones are easier to EQ than others. My old DT770 Pro was a pain in the ass to EQ because it had a series of peaks and dips in the treble. My HD 600, on the other hand, doesn't have any major treble peaks or dips. The only corrections I have made are a low shelf EQ, +4 dB with a 65 Hz cutoff, and -3 at 3250 Hz with a Q of 2.5. Setting up my EQ took only a few minutes. I spent months tinkering with the EQ on the DT770 and M50.

It's possible to approximate the frequency response of relatively neutral headphones when EQing a less neutral headphone. but there are so many other factors involved, such as distortion, ringing, and soundstage, that the more neutral headphone will still sound significantly different than the less neutral headphone.

The HD800 is widely regarded as a top pick among all headphones when it comes to soundstage. A lot of this is due to Senn's novel ring radiator technology, but also the HD800 treble is significantly boosted compared to the LCD series, creating a sense of space and air. The LCDs should sound less congested if the highs are EQ'd up. Also, the LCD-3 and LCD-X are not as dark-sounding as the LCD-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back