Comparing D2000 to DT770/80 - need help PLEASE!
Dec 7, 2011 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Gclef

Head-Fier
Well, I picked up the DT770's and my first impressions out of the box was "boomy".  I Wasn't happy.  Then I let 'em burn for 4 days, and after about 100 hours, they tightened up and sounded really good - only a slightly muddied sound - and the recessed mid's improved noticeably.  

I decided to order a pair of HFI-580's for comparison, planning to return one of them.  I didn't get a chance to burn in the 580's yet, but in judging them right out of the box, they were far to shrill for my ears.  I like the better clarity and detail in the mid to upper frequencies, but I can see these giving me a headache after an hour or so.  If I choose between the two, I'd take the DT770.  I tend to prefer a warm sound, I have a really hard time with brightness.

However, I'm now contemplating the Denon D2000's.  All the reviews I've read speak highly of these cans.  They seem to have both the bass I'm looking for and the detail and clarity less the brightness.  Or so that's what I thought I read (?)

If you own the D2000, I'd appreciate your feedback on how you think they sound.  If anyone owns both these phones and would care to comment on both, I'd really appreciate it.  I'm using an iBasso D6 to power these, but I do like that the Denon will be decent without an amp, which would be great for my Ipod.  Anything you can tell me is greatly appreciated! 

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 10
No comparison.  Denons are *much* better than DT770-80.  Bass is much more controlled, treble smooth (excepting the D7000) and they do very well with low/no amplification.  No amount of burn-in will make the Beyers sound better than the bloated, screechy mess that they are.

Quote:
Well, I picked up the DT770's and my first impressions out of the box was "boomy".  I Wasn't happy.  Then I let 'em burn for 4 days, and after about 100 hours, they tightened up and sounded really good - only a slightly muddied sound - and the recessed mid's improved noticeably.  

I decided to order a pair of HFI-580's for comparison, planning to return one of them.  I didn't get a chance to burn in the 580's yet, but in judging them right out of the box, they were far to shrill for my ears.  I like the better clarity and detail in the mid to upper frequencies, but I can see these giving me a headache after an hour or so.  If I choose between the two, I'd take the DT770.  I tend to prefer a warm sound, I have a really hard time with brightness.

However, I'm now contemplating the Denon D2000's.  All the reviews I've read speak highly of these cans.  They seem to have both the bass I'm looking for and the detail and clarity less the brightness.  Or so that's what I thought I read (?)

If you own the D2000, I'd appreciate your feedback on how you think they sound.  If anyone owns both these phones and would care to comment on both, I'd really appreciate it.  I'm using an iBasso D6 to power these, but I do like that the Denon will be decent without an amp, which would be great for my Ipod.  Anything you can tell me is greatly appreciated! 

Dec 8, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for your input.  I do agree that the Beyer's are somewhat 'bloated', which is exactly what I don't like about them, but I must say that their mellow laid back sound is quite nice.  I can listen to them for hours without realizing it's been hours.  The Ultrasone 580's are perfect in the low end, clear-tight-punchy bass, but the treble is so harsh on some material that it became a deal breaker.  I took the plunge and ordered a pair of D2000's, we shall see.  The thing I don't get is that some people describe the D2000's as 'sparkly' without being harsh, while others describe them as shrill in the upper register....and shrill I can not do - not at all.  If anything, I lean toward a warm sound preference.  I guess the only way to know for sure is to try them myself.

Quote:
No comparison.  Denons are *much* better than DT770-80.  Bass is much more controlled, treble smooth (excepting the D7000) and they do very well with low/no amplification.  No amount of burn-in will make the Beyers sound better than the bloated, screechy mess that they are.

Dec 8, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:

Agreed: no comparison.  Though I don't consider the 770 to be "screechy", I find the bass to be unacceptably boomy.
The D2000 is better in every way, except for isolation.

Quote:
Thanks for your input.  I do agree that the Beyer's are somewhat 'bloated', which is exactly what I don't like about them, but I must say that their mellow laid back sound is quite nice.  I can listen to them for hours without realizing it's been hours.  The Ultrasone 580's are perfect in the low end, clear-tight-punchy bass, but the treble is so harsh on some material that it became a deal breaker.  I took the plunge and ordered a pair of D2000's, we shall see.  The thing I don't get is that some people describe the D2000's as 'sparkly' without being harsh, while others describe them as shrill in the upper register....and shrill I can not do - not at all.  If anything, I lean toward a warm sound preference.  I guess the only way to know for sure is to try them myself.

Kudos on making the move and buying the D2000's.
You're right, of course - listening to them, preferably in your own environment, is the only way to know for sure.

Dec 8, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:

Any chance there is another headphone amplifier around you could try with the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm headphones?

Dec 8, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 10
My budget is depleted - the D2000 set me back an extra $150 I didn't plan on spending.  I'm out of moves at the present time.  Are there any other headphones I might wanna look at in $350 range?  I didn't expect to be shopping this price point, so I never looked at any other options.  How much does it cost to get deep-tight-punchy bass with detail and clarity minus the brain piercing and fatiguing shrill?

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
My budget is depleted - the D2000 set me back an extra $150 I didn't plan on spending.  I'm out of moves at the present time.  Are there any other headphones I might wanna look at in $350 range?  I didn't expect to be shopping this price point, so I never looked at any other options.  How much does it cost to get deep-tight-punchy bass with detail and clarity minus the brain piercing and fatiguing shrill?

Sony's new top of the line, the MDR-Z1000. 

List is $499, but you can find them in your price range.

I think they're outstanding.

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #8 of 10
Thanks.  I'll do some research (if there is any yet).  If these Denon's don't make my ears smile, I'll be sending them back too...I won't settle for anything less than outstanding (to my ears) when dropping this much cash.  Well, it's a lotta cash for me anyway.

***Note:  I do like the ability to mod the Denon's at Lawton Audio, that's one thing I'm also considering in the mix.  I need to do some more research on how the Lawton tuning changes affect the sound.  I may not have the budget now, but in a couple of months I could handle this.  If anyone tell elaborate on the affects I'd appreciate it.
Quote:

Sony's new top of the line, the MDR-Z1000. 

List is $499, but you can find them in your price range.

I think they're outstanding.

Dec 9, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #9 of 10
I have a pair of Recabled Denon D2000's.  I will give you some of my opinions.

Bass is sometimes a little sloppy, but there is a large amounts of it for bassheads.  I typically listen to trance, electronica, rock, jazz, and alternative.  I won't say that these headphones are a perfect all arounder style of headphones, but when it comes to electronica (which is the majority of my listening time) they really do a nice job.

The Denons don't really even need an amp, so when you're picking an Amp/DAC it's all about synergy rather than power.  I have mine paired with the NuForce HDP which is not really bass focused, so it kind of mellows out the bass.  I used to have these with the Audio GD Compass and while there was definitely less clarity and detail, there was a lot more UMMPPHFF behind the bass I must say.

If you have any specific questions, I could try to answer them.

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #10 of 10
Zazex - If you don't mind, can you elaborate on those Z1000's.  How do they compare to the D2000's?  I just got a message that my order for the Denon's was cancelled due to stock depletion, and I have no idea how long it will be.  In knowing what I'm looking for, do you think the Sony would work out as well as the Denon's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back