comparing akg k701 with hd 595
May 20, 2008 at 12:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Brian loves music

100+ Head-Fier
source: emu 0404 usb

how would they compare? of course i'm loving my hd 595s but i'm wondering if i can get a little more in your face sound but keep soundstage and confort (ie not grado)

ps: i plan on getting an i pod soon so these would be my portable cans (i can put them in a packback they'll fit when im not using them on the metro etc) will i look ridiculous in them?

May 20, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #2 of 5
You may or may not look ridiculous in them, but a more important consideration is whether or not an open-back can like the K701 will work for you (and your fellow humans are willilng to listen along with you, albeit at reduced SPLs).

May 20, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 5
IMO:

K701 will rip the HD595 a new hole over and about... the soundstage will be huge compared to the 595, but then it wouldn't be "IN YOUR FACE" like grado... or even the senns, the K701 is known to be more laid back.

If you want it to be very "high impact", the K701 will lack in that, esp in bass, if you dont amp it properly.

Comfort - it'll be amazing, feels amazing, as long as u get over the top headband with a few bumps.

sticking a pair of K701 in an ipod is basically saying "I want to be shotgunned in the face" It will probably be loud enough, but do u seriously want to brg out a pair of nice headphones out and let it get destroyed (even in your backpack), let alone the fact that the ipod probably drain its battery so fast and its not even worthwhile to TRY to drive the k701

May 20, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian loves music /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i thought they were closed?

No, definitely open backed. If you want closed, you might want to try out some of the Ultrasones, or Beyerdynamic HPs. For the Ultrasones, IMO only the Ediiton 9 is superior sonically to the K701; I doubt that any of the Beyers is. However, if you need closed cans, that's what you should pursue (with a set of K701's for listening when you don't care what others hear).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back