comparing AKG K240S with Beyer DT250-80 & AKG K501?
Apr 6, 2004 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

slchang

New Head-Fier
I've had my Beyer DT250-80s for a few months now and like them a lot... I find the tonal balance to be quite pleasing and fun to listen to on a good variety of music. However, after trying a friend's AKG K501s for a while, I'm thinking of getting another pair to supplement (or possibly replace?) the Beyers... my leading candidate recently is the AKG 240S. From what I've read, here are the qualities of the 240S that appeal to me:

* Some isolation. While allegedly not very isolating compared to other closed cans, the Beyers are more than adequate for my work environment. With music playing, I tend to not hear my phone ringing. So I'm looking for more than no isolation, but ideally a little less than what I've got now. It seems like the semi-sealed 240 line would fit this bill, but folks' opinions on this forum seem to vary widely on this issue.
* More coherent and airy soundstage. The Beyers image well enough, but the soundstage seems very narrow, and not very coherent. This is not a problem most of the time but is a noticeable hindrance with acoustic music. Is the K240S soundstage anything like the K501's?
* Not too bright. I seem to be sensitive to high frequencies. For example, even though K501s have great highs that do not seem to be generally considered "bright", they are a bit much for daily listening for me. (On the other hand, even I can tell that the 250-80s are lacking on the high end.)
* K501-level comfort. The Beyers are pretty comfy for me, but occasionally they feel like they're pressing the top of my head too much (I have a pretty tall head). So as long as I'm looking I'd like to find something that feels a little more "effortless," which is really the feeling I got from trying the K501s.

So basically, I'm kind of looking for a slightly more isolating, easier-to-drive, and perhaps sonically *less* accurate version of the K501s; the idea is to end up somewhere between the K501 and the DT250-80. These will mostly be driven out of low-end sources (iPod, laptop), though a portable amp might enter the picture someday.

I'm looking to these phones most for jazz (Miles Davis, Bill Evans, Ella, etc) and classical (mostly symphonic, some piano). Mostly in fact I listen to alternative rock (U2, pearl jam, soul coughing, radiohead) so if it works well in that arena, even better. As you might be able to tell from my comments, neutrality isn't important, mostly just musical enjoyability with the qualities listed above.

I know some of you have heard 2 or 3 of these phones, but of them, the 240S seems under-discussed, especially in comparison to the other 2 'phones. Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Apr 6, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 17
I researched these while shopping for my 250-80s and decided that they (HFI-650s) are probably too neutral (possibly bright) for my tastes, and probably not as comfortable.

EDIT: clarified an antecedent

Apr 6, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 17
I see three possible problems:

- Isolation: The K240S will only provide a tiny bit, maybe some 3 dB or so...

- Soundstage: The K240S will not provide the same huge soundstage and air as the K501. Imaging is fairly nice - but you'll get a more intimate presentation with the K240S.

- Amplification: I'm not too sure that the K240S will do well with your Apple player or your notebook. There won't be a problem with a nice little portable amp like the PortaCorda(II), though...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 6, 2004 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 17
the DT250-80s bright???
confused.gif

Want to the try the K240S some time myself. Want to know what it's like to groove.
tongue.gif

Apr 6, 2004 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by kyrie
the DT250-80s bright???
confused.gif

Sorry; to be clear, I meant that I didn't pick the Ultrasone HFI-650s because I thought they might be too bright for me. I ended up picking up the DT250-80s because it seemed there was no risk of them being bright (and they're not.)
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 17
I auditioned to all three cans and own K240S. Quote:

* Some isolation. While allegedly not very isolating compared to other closed cans, the Beyers are more than adequate for my work environment. With music playing, I tend to not hear my phone ringing. So I'm looking for more than no isolation, but ideally a little less than what I've got now. It seems like the semi-sealed 240 line would fit this bill, but folks' opinions on this forum seem to vary widely on this issue.

The K240 are less isolating, but I missed a few calls while using them.I fixed that by using a phone that indicates calls with a blinking LED. Quote:

* More coherent and airy soundstage. The Beyers image well enough, but the soundstage seems very narrow, and not very coherent. This is not a problem most of the time but is a noticeable hindrance with acoustic music. Is the K240S soundstage anything like the K501's?

Yes, but a bit less coherent IMO. Using crossfeed, hardware or plugin, betters that. Quote:

* Not too bright. I seem to be sensitive to high frequencies. For example, even though K501s have great highs that do not seem to be generally considered "bright", they are a bit much for daily listening for me. (On the other hand, even I can tell that the 250-80s are lacking on the high end.)

The K240s are anything but bright. Quote:

* K501-level comfort. The Beyers are pretty comfy for me, but occasionally they feel like they're pressing the top of my head too much (I have a pretty tall head). So as long as I'm looking I'd like to find something that feels a little more "effortless," which is really the feeling I got from trying the K501s.

All I can say is that they are my most comfortable headphones, but that's rather personal. Quote:

So basically, I'm kind of looking for a slightly more isolating, easier-to-drive, and perhaps sonically *less* accurate version of the K501s; the idea is to end up somewhere between the K501 and the DT250-80. These will mostly be driven out of low-end sources (iPod, laptop), though a portable amp might enter the picture someday.

I recommend these cans especially for eexactly your situation, they sound decent out of less expensive sources and have the capabilities to improve with better sources/amplification.The iPod is o.k.Laptop sound is usually a, pardon me, crappy AC97 chip.You should consider to improve your laptop sound quality by using an relatively cheap (and small) external USB-soundcard. Quote:

I'm looking to these phones most for jazz (Miles Davis, Bill Evans, Ella, etc) and classical (mostly symphonic, some piano). Mostly in fact I listen to alternative rock (U2, pearl jam, soul coughing, radiohead) so if it works well in that arena, even better. As you might be able to tell from my comments, neutrality isn't important, mostly just musical enjoyability with the qualities listed above.

K240S are allrounders, and at around 100 bucks a bargain.Look at my profile, I own a few very expensive cans, but I'm nevertheless using them and will definitely not sell them.

Apr 6, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #8 of 17
My opinions:

The K240S doesn't isolate any more noticeably than any of my other open headphones did, which is to say they don't isolate much at all. From my very faded memory of it, the DT-250, like most sealed headphones, has a quite narrow soundstage. The K240S has a larger airier soundstage but I would not put it in the league of K501 which throws a huge airy soundstage. I do not find the K240S as comfortable as the K501. It is bearable, but not fantastic. My problem is that the pads are not quite deep enough for my ears.

Quote:

I've noticed that the K240S makes me want to listen to rock a lot more, whereas the HD580 and Stax always made me want to listen more to jazz and classical. I don't know why that is, but it is something I have noticed.

Apr 6, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #9 of 17
I vote for the 240S.
Initially, I liked the 501 better because its midrange is more true on vocals. And that still holds true. And when using a high-powered amp, the bass on the 240s can become a little bloated. Bass is also the 501s weak point (but rather, the lack of it, perhaps that is why they sound good in the mids).

However, the 240s can pretty much plug into anything and sound good if not great (soundcards, PCDPs, jap receivers) wheras you must have a good headamp to get the most from the 501s. The 240 seems to be voiced to sound good from non-amped devices.

The 240s is a bargain. It is not highly isloating, but it does not "leak" sound like Grados. What they lack is the pumping bass that Grados can sometimes provide, or the huge soundstage and sweet highs of my K340s. If they had all that, then they would be a miracle for $99.

Apr 6, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #10 of 17
I've had the 250-80ohm for a couple of years, and got a set of AKG271 a few months ago.

Much prefer the 271's, much much better insulation, better soundstage, bass slam, and much more confortable, in my opinion
280smile.gif

Apr 6, 2004 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Filipe
Much prefer the 271's, much much better insulation, better soundstage, bass slam, and much more confortable, in my opinion
280smile.gif
[/B]

Although I have heard good things about the K271S, it's not on my list because it provides too much isolation -- I definitely do not want more isolation than I get from my Beyers.

Apr 7, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #12 of 17
the k501 wasn't built for bass driven music, but for classical instead. so i figure the k240s must be different, but i'm hoping that they have similar characteristic because:

i have two questions to ask about the k240s:

1. is it enjoyable with jazz? (doesnt have to be superb)

2. is it good for playing drums?

Apr 7, 2004 at 12:18 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by terrymx

2. is it good for playing drums?

they are pretty open. I suppose you need good isolation. I think the k271S would give you more isolation.

Apr 7, 2004 at 12:27 AM Post #14 of 17
ok, so how does that relate to drumming? i mean drum bass and all that give lots of pressure so i figure it would be better off with something airy. i dont like extreme bass on closed headphones.

and beside, i'm recommending a headphone so i cant recommend something that is over $100 and need an amp.

Apr 7, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #15 of 17
Personally, I think drums are good, but not stellar with the 240S. Certainly on par with the Beyer 931s (out of a 120 Ohm output), and better than the 501s for sure.

Though I am not a fan of Grado phones, I have found that the RS-1s produce a throbbing, driving bass which none of the AKGs or Senns I've tried seem able to reproduce. Ultimate drum phone IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back