Compared Grado and Sennheiser today, now what?
May 13, 2007 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jmourik

Head-Fier
For a while I've been wanting to try out a Grado, after reading all the enthousiastic threads here. So this morning I went to Sound Investments in Milwaukee (KZee told us about it), where they were so nice as to let me try out a SR60. I listened to it through an AMC amp and cd player, but found the sound a bit lacking, not too much bass, sounded a bit lean. This headphone was brand new though. Unfortunately I forgot to bring my Zune, and this got me really curious. So I figured it was time for me to find out what I like better, Grado or Sennheiser.
I read in ScubaSteve87's post about University Audio in Madison, and decided to go there. Took my Zune, got into the rental Mustang, and off I went. Once I got there, thanks Google maps :), I was happy to find out they indeed had Sennheiser and Grado available for listening! I started out listening to a Senn HD515 (I think), and that sounded nice. More like what I'm used to, the PX100.
Next I decided to go for it, and try the Grado SR 325i. This one was very new too, and though I enjoyed the sound, I found the highs a bit too much for my ears. I think it would start to irritate me after a while. So on I went to the Senn HD 595. This agreed more with my ears, though maybe a bit less exciting than the SR325i, there was a lot more bass, and the highs sounded much more agreeable to me. People with better ears than mine might call the Senn dark, or maybe even muddy, compared to the Grado. But it works better for my ears for sure. Still, I wanted to try more Grado, you never know, so on I went to the SR225. But alas, same story here, less bass, a bit shriller highs, not good for my poor old ears. Darn. I really wanted to like the Grado...
Next I tried the Senn HD650, and like this a lot too. Darker than the HD595, too dark maybe? I don't know yet. I did have to turn up my Zune to 20 with the HD650 though, so I think I'd need a portable amp if I go for this one. The HD595 was fine, like the Grados...

So I'm sorry Grado people, I guess I'm a Sennheiser man... But where should I go, HD595 or HD650? Decisions, decisions...

FYI, music listened to was Steely Dan and Paul Simon.

Thanks a bunch to University Audio for their hospitality! Great store!!!

May 13, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 13
You must try the Beyerdynamic DT990. There are many good threads on it so I won't make a feable attempt at describing it.

May 13, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 13
The deficiencies in the SR-60s are probably caused by the comfy pads. If you find Grados to be too bright but really like the excitement they present, you should try Alessandros!

May 13, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #4 of 13
you are probably more used to the Senn sound, so natually going back to the Senn's. If you started with a pair of SR-60 you would probably jump right on the SR-325.

It is more like a "personal tradition" thing you know.....
580smile.gif

May 13, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you are probably more used to the Senn sound...

For sure, but I tend to like a bit warmer sound anyway, that's why I got the B&W 803 speakers...

Now I need to find a store in Houston where I can compare the HD595 and 650 again, to make up my mind between the two!

May 13, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #6 of 13
If you're going to be running off a Zune, I'd recommend the HD595: they'll be better for rock....whether or not you get a portable amp, they'll be a bit more aggressive. IMO, they make great all round headphones and can scale up pretty well.

FWIW, I find the 325i is the best Grado....they compliment Senns the most. When you get into the higher end Grados, they get to be more laid back sounding.

May 13, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #7 of 13
if the 595 is any where close to the 555's performence, then I'd say go for the 650.
The 555 has too much sibilance for me, very very noticable, even with the songs that sounded alright with my other phones (Beyer 990/600, iGrado, Koss GT/CD180, etc)......

I really wanted to like the 555, but.......
frown.gif

May 13, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #8 of 13
if you're looking for a nice portable can without the need for an amp check out the audio technica es-7 or the akg k181dj. the former is more colored than the latter but both have their merits and are fun listens. both are closed cans and exert a bit of clamping force, particularly the akg, so be aware of this factor. i'm rather fond of both these cans and they are not discussed a ton here so are not something that is on folks lips when popping out recommendations. a search should turn up some favorable comments and impressions about both phones.

May 13, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmourik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a while I've been wanting to try out a Grado.
I decided to go for it, and try the Grado SR 325i. This one was very new, and though I enjoyed the sound, I found the highs a bit too much for my ears. I think it would start to irritate me after a while. So on I went to the Senn HD 595. This agreed more with my ears, though maybe a bit less exciting than the SR325i, there was a lot more bass, and the highs sounded much more agreeable to me. People with better ears than mine might call the Senn dark, or maybe even muddy, compared to the Grado. But it works better for my ears for sure. Still, I wanted to try more Grado, you never know, so on I went to the SR225. But alas, same story here, less bass, a bit shriller highs, not good for my poor old ears. Darn. I really wanted to like the Grado...
Next I tried the Senn HD650, and like this a lot too. Darker than the HD595, too dark maybe? I don't know yet. I did have to turn up my Zune to 20 with the HD650 though, so I think I'd need a portable amp if I go for this one. The HD595 was fine, like the Grados...

So I'm sorry Grado people, I guess I'm a Sennheiser man... But where should I go, HD595 or HD650? Decisions, decisions...

Perhaps you actually tried the "wrong" Grado and maybe even the "wrong" Senns.
frown.gif

....Ok....what works for my poor old ears:

My favorite Grados' have "Alessandro" on the housing; the MS2i. And my fav Senns are the HD600, which may have a presentation right in between the HD595 and HD650!

I don't have just one of them; but switch back and forth on nearly a daily basis between the both of them! What doesn't work for my ears on one day, the other one will. Sometime I listen to rock on the HD600 and classical on the MS2i. Choice is great!
smily_headphones1.gif
600smile.gif

May 13, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if the 595 is any where close to the 555's performence, then I'd say go for the 650.
The 555 has too much sibilance for me, very very noticable, even with the songs that sounded alright with my other phones (Beyer 990/600, iGrado, Koss GT/CD180, etc)......

I really wanted to like the 555, but.......
frown.gif

I had the same complaint when i first got 555s. that upper midrange/lower treble harshness bothered me. it made the sound thin. Believe me, this goes away after burn in. whats weird though is that my 595 didn't have this when i got them. but after burn in they both sound similar except for the 595s having a slightly more balanced midrange and more dynamics

May 13, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps you actually tried the "wrong" Grado and maybe even the "wrong" Senns.
frown.gif

Yeah, could be, but that's what they got. Makes me curious about the Alessandro though. And the 600...
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And my fav Senns are the HD600, which may have a presentation right in between the HD595 and HD650!

Funny, look at this graph from HeadRoom:
graphCompare.php

HD600 in the middle...

And would this be why I don't like the Grado:
graphCompare.php

Those peaks from 2000 Hz and up...

May 13, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you should try to listen to a pair of AKG 701 or the Beyer Dt990 , they may just be what you are looking for.

I'd love to, but the eternal question is "where"? Got to find a place that has them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back