Compare Waveterminal to iPod
Apr 21, 2005 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mbratrud

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking to set up a second system...I already have a pair of ATH W2002s and a modded Sugden Headmaster, I have an iPod too.

So I use a doc with a line out (Panorama cable) into the Sugden.

I need to back up my main music server anyway (I'll use a usb external hard drive) and so I was wondering if I bought a Waveterminal and ran rca out of that would it sound significantly better than the line out on the iPod.

All tunes ripped Apple lossless w/ error correction engaged.

I'm looking forward to the input.

Thanks

Apr 22, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 3
I am bumping this in hopes of getting a respons...surely someone out there has tried both the Waveterminal AND own an iPod.

I choose waveterminal because I understand that the drivers on this card bypass kmixer.

Thanks!

Jun 22, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #3 of 3
Hi everyone,
well, a friend of mine got an ipod (iphoto 60gb), and we have been comparing the sound out of the ipod (ipod+headphones) and of the waveterminal (waveterminal u24 +headphones).

For the waveterminal u24 the complete setup was:
Thinkpad T42+Itunes+headphones.

We listened to the itunes with the standard configuration and with the Volume Logic pluggin with different presets, and the last drivers for the waveterminal (V 2.55).

The headphones used were my Er4p's and the standard ipod earbuds.

We did the tests with "unbreak my heart" by Tony Braxton and "I want to know what love is" by Wynonna Jud. Neither of us is an expert audiophile, and my english is crappy, so I'm unable to enter in subtle details. The conclusion of both of us was that the sound of the Ipod was better than the sound of the waveterminal u24. In particular we found that the bass of the Ipod was clearly better.
So I'm a little disappointed with the performance of the waveterminal. But, facts are facts. Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back