Compare & Contrast: Senn 595 and 600
Feb 24, 2005 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Nick B

Head-Fier
Greetings Learned Forum:

I am in the position of being able to choose between a pair of slightly used 600s and a new pair of 595s, and I was wondering if you could give me some guidance. For the vast majority of the time, I will be using these phones with my home stereo via an Antique Sound Lab UHC Signature Headphone Device running off of an all tube amp. On occasion, it would be convenient if I could use them unamped with my mp3 player.

I am well aware of the impedence difference, and that the 600 would be basically unusable unamped with the mp3 player. I guess the question comes down to whether the 600s are significantly better such that not using them with the mp3 is a worthwhile sacrifice? When used with my stereo, how do these phones differ in sound? Please keep in mind that tube nature of my set up as you mull this over. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Nick

Feb 24, 2005 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 11
Hi

I'm also a newbie on this forum but I've just bought HD595 after comparing them with HD600 and some other models.

Shortly:

To my ear HD595 sounded better. HD600 sounded somehow too neutral to me. It sounded boring. And bass didn't have that kind of impact I was looking for. Resolution was little bit better in HD600.

HD595 was more forward sounding and lively. Basses are deep and well controlled. Resolution isn't quite as good as in 600s. But these sounded better to me.

You can read more comments from this thread.

Feb 24, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 11
I would prefer the 600s. Or 580s. It's strictly personal preference but (amped) the 580s sounded better to me and I had both at the same time. Enough so that I sold the 595s. I'd suggest that you audition both for at least twenty minutes or so at a time. I suspect that a quick initial impression would favor the 595s but allowing more time might let you appreciate what the 600s have to offer.

Feb 24, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 11
My experience is with HD-650's, but it is possible to get acceptable sound from them when driven with just an MP3 player. It depends on which one you are using. My iRiver iHP-120 drives them fine but my Zen Touch is a little too weak. If possible why don't you try these 'phones with your own player before making a final decision.

Feb 24, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ3810
...I suspect that a quick initial impression would favor the 595s but allowing more time might let you appreciate what the 600s have to offer.

I think this hits the nail on the head. I know it doesn't help you, but I have HD650s and HD595s. They both have their place. But in my opinion, the sound of the 650/600s is so much more refined than the 595s that would be the way to go.
The 595s will sound better through a portable device, no doubt, but the 650s won't sound nearly as bad as some on here would lead you to believe.

Feb 24, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #7 of 11
A sincere thanks to all of you who replied. Given my situation, I doubt I will be able to audition both. However, I am a complete newbie and I'm a bit ashamed to admit that.....this will be my first and only pair of real headphones
basshead.gif
! I know that whichever I choose, I will grow to love.

I am just wondering of the tube nature of my system has entered into your analysis? I know from first hand experience that the sonic characteristics of tube vs transistor are light night and day. Does keeping this in mind change anyone's thoughts? Again, thank you for your thoughts.

Nick

Feb 24, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 11
Well, I can only guess about the tubes... they should go well with both headphones. But the HD595 I feel would have the edge here.
For a case I know of -- 3lusiv3, a fellow headfier, is very happy with his tube headphone amp and (120 ohm) HD595.

On the main subject, here are my views -- they're different types.
The HD600 is the more 'formal' type. The HD595 is the more 'emotional' type.
You see, things can get incredibly personal when you're looking for your headphone of choice.
redface.gif

The HD595 goes quite a bit more directly to the heart of the matter, without any meaningful trade-off on the other side.
The HD600 is more likely to please the diehard, old-fashioned audiophile. With all due respect.

Objectively -- HD595 has a wonderful midrange, here the HD600 can't manage to match up (correct expression?). The HD600 may have mostly a slightly more impressive high end detail.

To put it simply, the HD595 is the better 'phone to the eyes (ears) of the (diehard) music lover.
evil_smiley.gif
580smile.gif

Feb 24, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #9 of 11
HD 595, anytime.

Would only prefer 650 over 595, if not too expensive.

Anyway I like 580/6x0's headband more and can live with 600's sound.
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #10 of 11
With the HD595s it's really important that you adjust them over your ear until they're loudest, then turn the volume down a bit. They then sound much better than you would normally wear them, and are just as comfortable

Feb 24, 2005 at 9:59 PM Post #11 of 11
Thank you all very much. I guess I'm leaning toward the 595s, especially since upon closer inspection, the 600s are "refurbished", whatever that means. The 595s I am looking at are the new 50 ohm variety. I know both are great cans. Thanks for helping me break my tie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back