Compare Contrast Help (under $200) IEM
Mar 7, 2015 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

espanarules

100+ Head-Fier
Long time reader...
I have been looking for the past 3 yrs, I guess a certain sound reproduction signature.
I am looking for a set that I can hear hi hats crisp and clear, I wanna feel tom toms and bass drums...I want a wide soundstage.  My main focus is jazz and blues, flamenco and metal, classical...but Seal is my favorite artist.  I like the occasional dub and house/trance/..but ...I listen to vast arrays of music, from: Alter Bridge, Esperanza Spalding, Harry Connick Jr., Seal, Metallica, Joe Pass, Coltrane, Sade, Maxwell, Motley Crue, Faure, Paco de Lucia, Ravel, Miles...Art Blakey, Steve Vai, Satriani, Yo-Yo Ma, Lenny Kravitz, yada yada...

I know it's pretty diverse...I've provided a list below of all the IEM's I've purchased the past 3 years.  Honestly, the VSonic GR07 MK2 were my favorite along with the Yamaha EPH-100SL...

IEMs:

Logitech Ultimate Ears 700 

thinksound ms01-gunchoc ms01 
Thinksound Rain 9mm High Definition Passive Noise Isolating Wooden Headphone
Shure SE215-CL Live Sound Monitor 
R-50 In-Ear Monitor Balanced Armature 
ClarityOne EB110 
Yamaha EPH-100SL ...Best for Rock/Metal
Bose IE2 Audio Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-CKS77BK 
VSonic GR07 MK2 Pro Dynamic Noise Isolation Earphones: Best/Widest range of music
Klipsch Image X10 Noise-Isolating
TTPOD T1E
Audio-Technica ATH-IM70
Brainwavz S5
TTPOD T2
SONY MDR-XB90EX: Most fun overall

Sony EX310

Headphones:
Sony MDR-V700DJ, V-MODA Crossfade LP2, BD 770, Ultrasone Pro 550, 750, ATH M50

Looking for IEM from the following lists...: Comparison & Contrasts Welcome ($200 and under)
Audio Technica ATH-IM02
Westone UM Pro10
Sennheiser IE 60
Brainwavz R3
T-PEOS 3Way H-150
HAVI B3 Dual Driver Pro I or II
OSTRY KC06A
Yamaha EPH-M200
FIDUE A81
FIDUE A71

Thanks for taking the time to read my prescription...LOL
Compare away...and yes, I will answer anything on any of the brands I have had.
Thanks,
Vic

Mar 8, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 5
I think you can cross the A71 off your list. You won't find the soundstage or crisp clear hi-hats you are looking for there. They have their fans but are a bit of a let down to me. Heavy in the mid-bass, they do have excellent note thickness but I don't find any other standout qualities and find them overly smooth and really lacking detail. SE215's are better, and I'm not crazy about those either. You have gone through a lot of IEM's, many more than I have and you have a lot on both lists. How did you come up with your list of potentials? Do they have qualities that you are looking for that are improvements over what you have owned previously? I am considering GR-07 Classic, Havi B3, or B6 if it comes out soon, or Hifiman RE400, or just quitting with the mid-fi IEM's altogether and saving up for a few months for CIEMs. I'm not sure I'm going to find what I'm looking for at ~$200 and after seeing your lists I'm not sure you are either. 

Mar 8, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 5
I had the ATH IM02's. Loved them. Neutral, great clarity, clean bass. Ended up buying the 40 dollar spc copper cable to improve the sound even further. 

Only listened to them through DX50 -> JDS C5, so I don't know how they perform unamped. Great for the price though. Perfect for your genres, IMO. I listened to classical and acoustic guitar, primarily. 

Mar 8, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #4 of 5
So not overly bassy like the Ath MI70...

Mar 8, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #5 of 5
I just keep reading reviews...and try to see if there are any similarities...the GR-07 Classic are great...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back