Compare 2 Headphones for Movie Watching
Aug 1, 2003 at 5:52 PM Post #2 of 6
That's almost like asking which is better for listening to music. Do you watch sensitive art house films or bombastic Michael Bay flicks?

Aug 1, 2003 at 6:20 PM Post #3 of 6
Let's say I watch both. Which headphone would you pair with which type of film?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2003 at 6:27 AM Post #4 of 6
Well, it's a pretty stupid question, since you give us no detail regarding what your ear-preferences are. The 590s are more subtle, detailed, extended, and probably less fatiguing. However, if you are in an environment where there are kids running around and/or loud fans from the computer blowing in your ears, your best bet would be a closed phone. Not necessarily the 280s, because they are weak regardless of reason for purchase; in your case, I would recommend a pair of Ultrasone HFI-650DE, made specifically, and tonally equivalent to a bass drum in your head, for DVDs. Just spledid for that sort of thing. And they're closed. So you get the best of both worlds, whereby, if you were living in the world as I am, you would have searched for your answer, as this has been brought up a previous googleplex number of times.

Thank you.

Aug 2, 2003 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Trounce
Well, it's a pretty stupid question, since you give us no detail regarding what your ear-preferences are. The 590s are more subtle, detailed, extended, and probably less fatiguing. However, if you are in an environment where there are kids running around and/or loud fans from the computer blowing in your ears, your best bet would be a closed phone. Not necessarily the 280s, because they are weak regardless of reason for purchase; in your case, I would recommend a pair of Ultrasone HFI-650DE, made specifically, and tonally equivalent to a bass drum in your head, for DVDs. Just spledid for that sort of thing. And they're closed. So you get the best of both worlds, whereby, if you were living in the world as I am, you would have searched for your answer, as this has been brought up a previous googleplex number of times.

Thank you.

No no, thank YOU for wasting your valuable mental powers on such a stupid question, especially since I'd already searched for and read many threads on the subject that were inconclusive (great minds think alike, eh?). I see that you were able to provide some good suggestions, out of the kindness of your heart, so perhaps even stupid questions can provoke good answers, in which case they may not be completely without value.

I hope your day improves.
cool.gif

To the rest of the world: Okay, that's a thumbs-down for the 280 and a write-in vote for Ultrasone. I'll be delighted to hear more headphone suggestions from those of you who don't mind gettin' a little stupid!
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2003 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 6
... thusly named that Trounce is

I like my 590s for movies a lot. I did upgrade the cable but they still are very nice without that. I like the open cans so I can hear other things going on, your situation may differ, as Trounce indicated. You should certainly decide whether you want open or closed cans up front.
The 590s, as do the HD600 & 580, provide very good bass response which goes well with movie sound, while providing crisp highs for dialouge. The weakness is the mids are a bit thin, that's where a cable upgrade would help most.
The 590s will be easier to drive then the 600s or 580s.

G'Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back