Comparative Volume Question for the Engineers In the Audience
Sep 16, 2004 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

delenda est Sony

500+ Head-Fier
Why does my portable amp plugged into the headphone jack of an Ipod or PCDP sound less loud than when it is plugged into the line out port of the device? Shouldn't an amped hp jack plus amp sound louder than unpowered line out plus amp? Noticed this recently and can't figure it out...

confused.gif

des

Sep 16, 2004 at 11:26 AM Post #2 of 17
Try sticking a pair of headphones in to the Line Out port.
(PS. wear earplugs
biggrin.gif
)

The Line Out isn't unpowered. The output simply conforms to a level which is accepted as a Line Out.

Sep 16, 2004 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Try sticking a pair of headphones in to the Line Out port.
(PS. wear earplugs
biggrin.gif
)

The Line Out isn't unpowered. The output simply conforms to a level which is accepted as a Line Out.

Hmm, so Bangra, these line out cables for the Ipod -- surely the Ipod doesn't have a power amplifier for an audio signal wedged down in the charging port ... or does it? Will that signal be inherently more powerful than the one coming out through the headphone jack? thanks for your "input"
icon10.gif

des

Sep 18, 2004 at 12:46 AM Post #4 of 17
Line out is a certain voltage level driven for the high impedance inputs of the amplifier. The idea is to maintain the output signal around a certain voltage level. There is not much current being supplied, since this is taken care of by the amp.
The headphone output is driving the headphones, which is a load that requires high current.
The loudness of the phones is actually dependent on the match between the jack impedance and the headphones' impedance (thevenin). Largest power output occurs when the source and load impedances are equal.

An example:
I have a CDP with headphone and lineout jacks. The volume setting affects the headphone jack and not the lineout.
When I use my Grados, and adjust the headphone volume so that the volume I get from the headphone jack is same as the one I get by connecting the cans to the lineout (NO AMP, just lineout), the volume is set quite low.
It is the opposite with the HD-600. The lineout is quite loud with them and the volume setting of the headphone jack needs to be high to match that loudness.

The reason for this is the difference in the impedances. The Grados are 32ohms. They will sound loudest when the source impedance is also 32ohms.
The Senns are 300 ohms. They will sound loudest with a source impedance of 300 ohms.
The headphone out jack has a low impedance (dunno exactly but surely lower than 50ohms) whereas the lineout impedance is high (because the inputs of the amplifier are also high impedance and the signal is not driving a big load like the headphones, but is supplying a signal to be further amplified). This translates to the lineout being a better match for the HD-600 with its high impedance than the Grados with their low impedance.

Your amp is high impedance, and the power output of the system (player + amp) is greater when connected to the high impedance lineout than the low impedance headphone jack.

Hope I am clear enough and am actually answering your question.

Sep 18, 2004 at 6:22 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by recephasan
Line out is a certain voltage level driven for the high impedance inputs of the amplifier. The idea is to maintain the output signal around a certain voltage level. There is not much current being supplied, since this is taken care of by the amp.
The headphone output is driving the headphones, which is a load that requires high current.
The loudness of the phones is actually dependent on the match between the jack impedance and the headphones' impedance (thevenin). Largest power output occurs when the source and load impedances are equal.

An example:
I have a CDP with headphone and lineout jacks. The volume setting affects the headphone jack and not the lineout.
When I use my Grados, and adjust the headphone volume so that the volume I get from the headphone jack is same as the one I get by connecting the cans to the lineout (NO AMP, just lineout), the volume is set quite low.
It is the opposite with the HD-600. The lineout is quite loud with them and the volume setting of the headphone jack needs to be high to match that loudness.

The reason for this is the difference in the impedances. The Grados are 32ohms. They will sound loudest when the source impedance is also 32ohms.
The Senns are 300 ohms. They will sound loudest with a source impedance of 300 ohms.
The headphone out jack has a low impedance (dunno exactly but surely lower than 50ohms) whereas the lineout impedance is high (because the inputs of the amplifier are also high impedance and the signal is not driving a big load like the headphones, but is supplying a signal to be further amplified). This translates to the lineout being a better match for the HD-600 with its high impedance than the Grados with their low impedance.

Your amp is high impedance, and the power output of the system (player + amp) is greater when connected to the high impedance lineout than the low impedance headphone jack.

perfect explanation and crystal clear! Thanks for your help on this. My next question: for a portable device, would use of a headphone jack drain more, less, or equal amounts of battery power as compared to line out usage?

des

Sep 18, 2004 at 9:24 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Ouch. But so correct. Teach me to come out with one-liners...

Sep 18, 2004 at 11:57 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

This is incorrect. Loudness of the sound from headphones is proportional to the voltage across them. For that reason if you increase the ouput impedance of the amp the loudness will always go down, as the voltage across the headphones is reduced. The rule works other way round - for a GIVEN output impedance, maximum output POWER achieved if the load impedance is equal to the output impedance. This does not mean that by increasing the ouput impedance we can increase the volume - it is exactly opposite
smily_headphones1.gif

How loud the headphones sound from a particular output depends on 3 things - output voltage without load, output impedance and headphone impedance. If the combination of these 3 parameters is such that the voltage across connected headphones is higher, than the sound will be louder.

Answering the first post: simply the output voltage on the headphone output is lower than that on the line out and that is what counts for the high impedance load - i.e. amplifier.

Cheers

Alex

Sep 18, 2004 at 12:33 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonik
This is incorrect. Loudness of the sound from headphones is proportional to the voltage across them. For that reason if you increase the ouput impedance of the amp the loudness will always go down, as the voltage across the headphones is reduced. The rule works other way round - for a GIVEN output impedance, maximum output POWER achieved if the load impedance is equal to the output impedance. This does not mean that by increasing the ouput impedance we can increase the volume - it is exactly opposite
smily_headphones1.gif

That is, assuming the circuitry that drives the output stage remains the same? And since max P is achieved with Zo=Zi and P=V^2/Z and Z is constant, max P is max V, and hence, the loudest.

Quote:

How loud the headphones sound from a particular output depends on 3 things - output voltage without load, output impedance and headphone impedance. If the combination of these 3 parameters is such that the voltage across connected headphones is higher, than the sound will be louder.

Kinda what I stated, albeit clearer.

Quote:

Answering the first post: simply the output voltage on the headphone output is lower than that on the line out and that is what counts for the high impedance load - i.e. amplifier.

You are right. And this is the correct answer to the original question. But hey, I had fun typing.

Sep 18, 2004 at 12:39 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by delenda est Sony
perfect explanation and crystal clear! Thanks for your help on this. My next question: for a portable device, would use of a headphone jack drain more, less, or equal amounts of battery power as compared to line out usage?

des

You mean headphone out vs line out to drive an amp (not headphones)?

Let's see, if the amp impedance is assumed to be constant and high, the power output will be higher with the lineout. Power is voltage squared divided by impedance. Therefore the voltage drop across the imputs of the amp will be higher, and hence, louder.

Am I correct, antonik?

Sep 18, 2004 at 12:42 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

That is, assuming the circuitry that drives the output stage remains the same? And since max P is achieved with Zo=Zi and P=V^2/Z and Z is constant, max P is max V, and hence, the loudest.

You are missing the point. Max P achieved for Zo=Zi only if all we can change is the load impedance. If we are changing the output impedance for given off-load output voltage, the voltage across the load (and hence, volume) would always inclease with reduction of the output impedance. For the maximum output power in to the load best condition is when the output impedance is close to zero.

Cheers

Alex

Sep 18, 2004 at 12:51 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

You mean headphone out vs line out to drive an amp (not headphones)?

Let's see, if the amp impedance is assumed to be constant and high, the power output will be higher with the lineout. Power is voltage squared divided by impedance. Therefore the voltage drop across the imputs of the amp will be higher, and hence, louder.

Am I correct, antonik?

For an amplifier with high input impedance the important bit is not the power but the input voltage. For most audio application it is best if the load impedance is much higher than the output impedance, as it minimises the voltage drop.

Alex

Sep 18, 2004 at 1:58 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

For an amplifier with high input impedance the important bit is not the power but the input voltage. For most audio application it is best if the load impedance is much higher than the output impedance, as it minimises the voltage drop.

Alex

You're talking about signal transmission (interconnects), right, not transducers (speakers and headphones)?
AND imperfect sources, as in sources that drop max voltage with increasing load?

Sep 18, 2004 at 2:50 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

You're talking about signal transmission (interconnects), right, not transducers (speakers and headphones)?
AND imperfect sources, as in sources that drop max voltage with increasing load?

Both for speakers and headphones a near-zero output impedance of the driving amplifier is usually desirable (there are some known exceptions). Matching output impedance to the load impedance ONLY really necessary on high frequencies to avoid reflections in transmission lines.

Cheers

Alex

Sep 18, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Whatabout headamps suited for high impedance cans vs. low? They have high o/p Z, don't they?
You realize I'm asking to learn, not to argue, right?

I am happy to help if I can
smily_headphones1.gif

Even high impedance headphones may benefit from low output impedance of the amplifier. It is my opinion that (for example) top Sennheisers - 580, 600 prefer near-zero output impedance in the amplifier. For some headphones a certain output impedance is apparently needed to improve (or balance) the sound, however this is rather an exception. A resistor on the output of a headphone amp usually more for protection and stability than anything else. Changing the output impedance of the amp may (and usually will) change the sound, but from my experience lower output impedance almost always helps to produce a better sound. (That doesn't mean that one can improve the sound just by scrapping the output resistor - it may easily create problems for a particular amplifier circuit.)

Cheers

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back