Comparable comfort to the AKG K550, but with better sound?
Jun 13, 2014 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

NomadSoul

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have a pair of AKG K550's that I really do like. In terms of sound, but also comfort. I haven't measured my 'helmet size', but I think my head runs large. One thing that always struck me on Amazon reviews of the K550s was that a lot of folks were complaining that they were 'too big', 'too loose', or with too little clamp. I tried them and they were most comfortable headphones I had personally ever tried. Perfect even.

That said, I'm wondering if there might be anything out there (over ear, either closed or open) that might feature comparable comfort, light clamping force, with even better sound quality? Slippery slope here I come. :) Any recommendations appreciated.

Budget is $400, and I'm not currently willing to do mods. As for as 'sound signature' goes, I'm open to anything. I listen to many genres, so perhaps something erring towards neutral wouldn't be a bad idea. Thanks all for the input.

Jun 13, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #2 of 5
The most comfortable headphones I've ever worn were from Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic.
But most of those full-size models are open-back and don't have the same isolation or deep bass presence as the K550.

Around that budget I would recommend a DT990 Premium, but they need an amp to make them sing properly. Do you have an amp?
The DT880 is more 'neutral' on paper, but I think the treble is too bright for relaxing-enjoyment listening. 
I don't feel comfortable recommending the higher-end plastic-headband sennheisers because they've had issues with build quality (outsourced plastic was of a very low quality - I don't think this was sennheisers fault but that of the company they sourced it from)

Jun 13, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #3 of 5
The Focal Spirit Professional sound great and are very comfortable, plus they retail for around $350 in the USA.

InnerFidelity review - http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/two-strike-zone-focal-spirit-professional-and-spirit-classic

Quote:
  Hi all,

I have a pair of AKG K550's that I really do like. In terms of sound, but also comfort. I haven't measured my 'helmet size', but I think my head runs large. One thing that always struck me on Amazon reviews of the K550s was that a lot of folks were complaining that they were 'too big', 'too loose', or with too little clamp. I tried them and they were most comfortable headphones I had personally ever tried. Perfect even.

That said, I'm wondering if there might be anything out there (over ear, either closed or open) that might feature comparable comfort, light clamping force, with even better sound quality? Slippery slope here I come. :) Any recommendations appreciated.

Budget is $400, and I'm not currently willing to do mods. As for as 'sound signature' goes, I'm open to anything. I listen to many genres, so perhaps something erring towards neutral wouldn't be a bad idea. Thanks all for the input.

Jun 13, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 5
Hi Greq, Smial. Thanks very much for your replies.

I actually am open to open back headphones, and I do a have an amp. I'll have a look at those Beyers and the Focal. I have a family member that owns a set of Focal Chorus speaker, and I adore them, but, from that inner fidelity review, the person had the following to say about comfort:

...ear-cup dimensions are a little on the small size ... The caliper pressure (how much the headphone squeezes in on your head) is also a little high.

If I can find them locally for a try on, I'll probably try them, though. Any further recommendations would also be appreciated.

Jun 14, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #5 of 5
NomadSoul,

The Focal earpads do `give' after about a week or two of use and it's possible to stretch the headband.

Another option are the Thinksound On1 which I find supremely comfortable and excellent sounding too. They're a smidgeon `warmer' than the Focals and lighter weight. USA retail direct is $250 - http://www.thinksound.com/on1.php

Quote:
  Hi Greq, Smial. Thanks very much for your replies.

I actually am open to open back headphones, and I do a have an amp. I'll have a look at those Beyers and the Focal. I have a family member that owns a set of Focal Chorus speaker, and I adore them, but, from that inner fidelity review, the person had the following to say about comfort:

If I can find them locally for a try on, I'll probably try them, though. Any further recommendations would also be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back