Company Claims Audiophile Sound From Wireless Phones
Oct 22, 2007 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DrBenway

Headphoneus Supremus
Chipmaker Avnera claims that its new components will deliver audiophile-grade wireless performance in speakers and headphones. CNET has an article describing the technology and giving impressions of an early product, phones from Acoustic Research. Descriptions of the sound don't go beyond the usual brainless generalities ("The music, which isn't compressed for wireless delivery, sounded CD-quality.") Heavy sigh.

An equally mushy CNET story gives more "in depth" info on the phones.

Is it just me, or do mainstream tech sites like CNET seem incapable of a half-decent review of audio equipment? It all reminds me of what I used to hear in the '60s and '70s on American Bandstand: "Well, Dick, it has a good beat, and you can dance to it. I give it an 85."

Oct 22, 2007 at 10:49 AM Post #2 of 4
remember, in the early 90's, "CD Quality Sound" was defined as meaning 22khz 12-bit, according to the group that handed out the silly "Multimedia PC" logos.

Acoustic Research is a meaningless brand name owned by Audiovox - just like Advent, Jensen, Terk, Recoton, etc.

Oct 22, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 4
I beg to differ. In the home theater area, Acoustic Research speakers have always done well when reviewed by various home theater magazines. They are a very good "bang for the buck" (Sounnd and Vision, Home Theater Review, ect.) and even some of the home theater forums. Can't remember the model number, But they had one setup that actually had a piano laquer finish and for a $700 MSRP system, typically outperformed systems twice their price. They are by no means audiophile grade systems, but they perform quite well for their price point. They also make some very good cables that sell for about half the price as monster cables. I use them and have never been displeased with them. I don't think it really matters who makes the wireless headphone. I just don't think you will ever get audiophile quality sound from something wireless. No matter how slight, there will always be some type of interference IMHO.

Oct 22, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
remember, in the early 90's, "CD Quality Sound" was defined as meaning 22khz 12-bit, according to the group that handed out the silly "Multimedia PC" logos.

This is exactly my point. CNET is supposed to be an authoritative, independent source of consumer information about electronics. And their so-called "expert" parrots a meaningless marketing term in his lame attempt to describe the performance of a product.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Acoustic Research is a meaningless brand name owned by Audiovox - just like Advent, Jensen, Terk, Recoton, etc.

Absolutely. It's sad though, that AR and Advent, at least, were once small, independent makers of good-to-excellent quality audio equipment. Both of them formerly produced good speakers at good prices. The original Advent, in particular, was one of the better affordable bookshelves of its day.

And then along comes a junk perveyor like Audiovox. They buy the name and credibility that goes with it, and slap the logo on the parent company's usual junk.

Remember: the business of America is business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back