Compact Monitors Stage 3 Impressions
Aug 18, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #16 of 52
Aug 19, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #18 of 52
Those people in the link did compare them, most of them preferred the Stage 3 btw
wink.gif

It took some hours to really compare JH13, Stage 3 and UE11. They're all very good and it's not worlds between them...

Aug 19, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #20 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear Zug,

I would hope it would not be worlds between them. It seems sometimes like every new phone here is the best ever and I have a hard time believing that. If so, then yay bob as I heard once.

I know! Just look at the review from HPA e.g., he also says that all his customs do sound great while he prefers the JH13 most of the time.
That doesn't mean that the JH13 is really better for everyone, he just likes them best.

I don't care about minimal technical differences if the sound signature doesn't fit for me.

Aug 19, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #22 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuglufttier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, at least Custom Monitors, JH Audio and Ultimate Ears have these demos... Just have a look here: ImageBanana - Unbenanntes_Panorama1.jpg

Taken from the impressions from the mentioned meet: http://www.hifi-forum.de/index.php?a...211&thread=234

I added an impedance measurement to the first post...

oh i knew demo pairs existed but they seem to be treated like gold dust, no one ever lists on their site that they are available to be lent out to prospective customers

Aug 19, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Those people in the link did compare them, most of them preferred the Stage 3 btw
wink.gif

It took some hours to really compare JH13, Stage 3 and UE11. They're all very good and it's not worlds between them...

Do you know exactly how many people compared the JH13 to the Stage 3's? And how many of those preferred the latter?

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #26 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whats it matter? at that level its like asking who prefers blue over red, all down to personal preference more than anything else

While I agree there's an element of personal preference when comparing certain gear, I think, in general, one IEM can be regarded as better than others.

A different thing is when you may prefer something like the UE11pro/ JH11Pro, IEM's apparently aimed more specifically at 'bassheads'. I think from this excellent review -- http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/r...5/#post5944250 -- you can still draw certain conclusions which don't strike me as 'personal preference'. Personal preference, I believe, is often an all too common term thrown in there when one doesn't want or is unable to be more precise/ analytical about general characteristics of different pieces of gear.

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #27 of 52
Quote:

There were eight people but not all had a listen to the customs... I'm going to ask them
wink.gif

Thanks!

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #28 of 52
well i do feel the ue11 and jh11 are rare situations where they are sound sig wise going to be so similar making qualitative judgements become much more valid. many have a habit of saying something is better than another due solely down to it having a sound sig they appreciate more.

hence why i say it doesnt matter how many said the CM3 is better than the jh13 as without an in depth explanation of why it just falls into the realm of personal preference.

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #29 of 52
The Meet (where the image above was made) was in my house , so maybe i can help you a bit:

I dont think there is a "general" or "absolute" better Earphone in any matter. It all depends on personal taste and personal wishes.

Technically (soundstage , resolution) Stage 3 and Jh13 were very close. Ue11 was a bit (not more then maybe 1-2%) behind. This is so minimal (between all 3) that this could be due variations from earpiece to earpiece , so dont expect an absolute "best" here.

6 People listened to the custom demo version:
4 prefered stage3
2 prefered jh13pro
all thought: damn their close , its just a matter of taste!

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #30 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i do feel the ue11 and jh11 are rare situations where they are sound sig wise going to be so similar making qualitative judgements become much more valid. many have a habit of saying something is better than another due solely down to it having a sound sig they appreciate more.

hence why i say it doesnt matter how many said the CM3 is better than the jh13 as without an in depth explanation of why it just falls into the realm of personal preference.

Agreed. It is reasonable to prefer one IEM over another and to know why you do. This is your personal preference, which is by its very nature subjective. But to try and argue that one IEM is objectively better than another is an exercise in futility. An IEM that is best for you is not necessarily the best IEM. There is no "best" IEM. These forum threads are testament to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back