compact LOD for Nano and Tomahawk?
Jul 29, 2010 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tnmike1

Headphoneus Supremus
Have looked at the ALO website and seen the new offering by Ken with the low-profile right angled LOD.  I'm using Nano with Tomahawk and wondering if these right-angled LODs may get in the way of the volume control of the Tomahawk, which is located on the right-hand side of the amp

Any thoughts on a low-profile LOD???

Aug 1, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 12
You are correct that the volume knob often gets in the way. Low profile lods have to be just the right length to avoid taking up too much space. It's better to make a custom lod for your application that comes out of the bottom of the dock connector, like these:

I don't make lods any more but this is what you want.

Aug 3, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 12
I made a couple of cables like that in the past.  The problem with it; over time they break down due to putting them on and off no matter how much heatshrink I've used.

Aug 3, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 12
If you fill the dock connector with epoxy then it's much more durable. You can also use hot glue and make it flow between the pins. The one that I use for the nano/tomahawk has been working for years. I made it using an old Ultimate Ears cable.

Aug 4, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
If you fill the dock connector with epoxy then it's much more durable. You can also use hot glue and make it flow between the pins. The one that I use for the nano/tomahawk has been working for years. I made it using an old Ultimate Ears cable.

are you making these for the general listening public??  IF so, pix please.

Aug 4, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #8 of 12
I'm not making anything at the moment but I will be making a batch of low profile lods soon. The style pictured above would be difficult to make because the lengths need to be exact. I can only make them if I have exact measurements or if I have the amp/player myself.

Aug 4, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #9 of 12
Punnisher, great job on those LODs. I've tried epoxy.  I'll try a stiff hot glue. Great idea.  LODs are kind of a pain to make since the pins are so small.  I like the first pic above where it looks like you used the top part of an angled Neutrik.

Aug 6, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #12 of 12
Yes, it depends on where the input and volume is on your amp.  With my RSA Shadow the angled plug works great since the volume and headphone jack is on the other side. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back