Compact/lightweight/$200 amp, not necessarily portable
Jun 8, 2009 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

s_nyc

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

I have pretty much decided to go towards good closed headphones in the near future and will most likely order the new Shure 840 when they become available or the Beyerdynamic DT770 pro.

I would like to pair an amp with these and have a budget of $200, which I agree is not necessarily much. Here are the criteria of what I am looking for:

- great detail, sound quality, etc.

- relatively small (not necessarily the nano/micro stuff but something which size is half a paper page letter format would be fine). I intend to use it as a bedtable amp.

- ideally lightweight (around one lbs max) as I will be (sadly) leaving the US for Europe in about 3 months and will need to take the amp in my luggage. That said, if you find a truly oustanding model in my budget which is a bit on the heavy side, I think I would not mind too much and would have it delivered directly to Europe.

- 110-220v capable. Same as above, could be ok if this is only 220v.

- Powerwise, I do not feel I will necessarily need much for the Shure (60 ohms? I do not remember) or the DT770 (80 ohms).

Would you have any suggestions to offer? What about this one for instance? Headphone Amplifier - Headphone Amp - Earphone Amplifier - Cute Beyond Headphone Amp - Firestone Audio

Oh well, a portable amp might do the trick as well if it is great on the SQ side after all...

Thanks much

Jun 8, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 6
Just a bit more:

- I do not need a DAC, since I am exclusively listening out of an iPod Classic.

- I might have dismissed the portable amps a bit too quickly. I guess that e.g. the iBasso P3+ would do a good job, wouldn't it?

Jun 8, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 6
Well there is the Cavalli Audio COmpact Tube Hybrid. A fantastic amplifier for its size. I could esily pack it and carry it with me to canjam in my backpack.

Jun 8, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #5 of 6
Meier Audio Arietta (used) or Swing fits your bill perfectly.

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the good suggestions. The Meier Audio Swing is tempting but it is over my budget so better be really good.

Regarding the Cavalli Audio, is it a DIY amp? I haven't seen any pricing on their webpage.

What about the Mini Millet Hybrid for $180 on Whiplash Audio website? EDIT: There's also another hybrid one from Trends Audio for around $200. Choices, choices...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back