Compact LCD-3 Set Up
Sep 9, 2019 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nycenglish

New Head-Fier
I asked this question in the General Help section but didn't get a lot of responses so...

I'd like to set up a compact (no more than 12" wide) desktop headphone system in my home office to drive my LCD-3s.

My main speaker system comprises of a Pass power amp, PS Audio BHK pre, PS Audio DSD DAC, and Merlin VSM speakers. For those familiar with these components, you'll know they deliver a smooth musical sound yet with some bass punch. All my music is via roon and is therefore 100% digital.

roon core runs on a reasonably beefy iMac which streams to my speaker system. The iMac is in the same office as this headphone set up would be.

As far as I can tell this means I need a DAC and a headphone amp to drive my LCD-3s. I am somewhat concerned about using USB to connect the DAC to my Mac so I would like a DAC with a good USB implementation.

I am considering trying a used Chord Hugo 2 and fear it may be a little lean but TBH I don't have a lot of headphone system experience so I may be placing too much emphasis on the DAC side vs. the amp side.

Approx. $2K is my budget.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 7
I asked this question in the General Help section but didn't get a lot of responses so...

I'd like to set up a compact (no more than 12" wide) desktop headphone system in my home office to drive my LCD-3s.

My main speaker system comprises of a Pass power amp, PS Audio BHK pre, PS Audio DSD DAC, and Merlin VSM speakers. For those familiar with these components, you'll know they deliver a smooth musical sound yet with some bass punch. All my music is via roon and is therefore 100% digital.

roon core runs on a reasonably beefy iMac which streams to my speaker system. The iMac is in the same office as this headphone set up would be.

As far as I can tell this means I need a DAC and a headphone amp to drive my LCD-3s. I am somewhat concerned about using USB to connect the DAC to my Mac so I would like a DAC with a good USB implementation.

I am considering trying a used Chord Hugo 2 and fear it may be a little lean but TBH I don't have a lot of headphone system experience so I may be placing too much emphasis on the DAC side vs. the amp side.

Approx. $2K is my budget.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

The Merlins are passive, no? Depending on what amp you are using to drive the Merlins you could just drive your LCD-3s from the speaker taps (I'm doing that with my LCD-3, HE-500 and Ether Flow 1.1 headphones via a Kenwood KA-9100). Alternatively you could get a Violectric V280 or V281

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 7
Ok, I suggest a Violectric V280 wit ha Drop x Airist R2R dac

Sep 12, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 7
Cheers - seems the point may be to spend much more on the amp than the DAC. :)

Probably a sound way to go about it. IMO there is a smaller difference between DACs than amps and the biggest difference is between headphones/speakers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back