Compact Hifi for Small Desktop Space
Aug 12, 2020 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jenkinsontherun

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I want to begin to say that I am quite frustrated. Having spent several hours, I actually could not find a solid compact, powered speaker system besides the companion 20.

The companion 20 is the perfect size for my desktop, but I am looking for something with two drivers.

Now, before you recommend a fat powered bookshelf/value speaker, I simply cannot place it on my desk.

Yet, at the same time, I am perplexed as to why there are so few "mid-fi" compact systems. Of course, there are the $20 dollar Logitechs (Z150 not bad btw), but there are very few in the market above that price point.

The speakers I have looked at but have some problems with:

Companion 2 series iii - want something a bit better, but again the shape is perfect
Audioengine A2+ - A bit too big (yes, my desk is that small)
Eclipse TD-M1 - Extremely expensive, unavailable in Canada, and one driver only (a bit superficial I know).
Companion 20 - Literally want to concede and just get these off of amazon. Mixed reviews but generally trending towards positive/great.
Creative Gigaworks T20 - Some mixed reviews

TL;DL I want a powered compact 2 channel system for my desktop with the form factor of the Bose Companion 20's.

Thank you very much, I know it was a long read and sometimes I was just rambling.

Edit: saw Edifier E25HD's, intriguing.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 8
Ruark MR1

I have the mk I model, and it's great. Consider adding a subwoofer.

Aug 13, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 8
1597356666836.png

To give a better picture, I am using a standing desk. As you can see, even the companion 20's are falling off, but not quite. I am using a E17K fiio dac. The entire standing desk (speakers + monitor) are stacked upon a regular office desk, as you can see in the upper right area (it's the same color as the standing desk).

So, even genelics, which look like good compact speakers, would not fit as it would cover the screen.

1597356797120.png

1597356845173.png

Something like those (Sony SONY SRSZX1 and Razor Nommo) would work, but I want something more hifi, willing to spend a bit more as well.
I would sell/return the bose's if I find something better as the bose's are pretty meh.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 8
Vanatoo Transparent Zero.

Can't get more compact than this, without serious drop-off in quality.

Aug 13, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 8
Vanatoo Transparent Zero.

Can't get more compact than this, without serious drop-off in quality.
Wow that's a pretty clever design. It's great for my case since I have a lot of depth + width, but little height, and I love how it slopes down. Thanks!

Edit: and they are super small
1597360147185.png

and they are powered and they are in stock! Ordering these tonight.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 8
Wow that's a pretty clever design. It's great for my case since I have a lot of depth + width, but little height, and I love how it slopes down. Thanks!

Edit: and they are super small
1597360147185.png
and they are powered and they are in stock! Ordering these tonight.

Happy to help!

I heard these first at Capital Audio Fest last year and was IMPRESSED. They are TINY and, yet, absolutely reproduce HIFI sound. For the price and form factor, I'm utterly convinced it can't be beat.

Let me know your thoughts when you get em!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back