Compact Camera based on design?
Jan 10, 2009 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

davidw89

100+ Head-Fier
I need a new camera. I want something that looks awesome, slim for example and has the great Apple design style (too bad Apple doesn't make Camera). Quality is not a problem as long as it has flash and like 8 megapixel at least. Any idea?

Jan 10, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the spirit! Form over function. Quality be damned!

bigsmile_face.gif

And I wonder why I build my own desktops and continue to buy Thinkpads (for now).

What's your budget David? You might find some of the Canon PowerShot SD series, some of the Sonys are snazzy looking (DPreview list of Sony models) and some of the Leicas as well (another DPreview list). I'm not sure any of the cameras really follow Apple's design language, which IMO is a good thing but I'm not that big of a fan of a number of Apple's designs.

I personally like the Canon P&S cameras, however the Leicas (and their almost identical Panasonic siblings) are nice too.

Jan 10, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #4 of 12
Jan 10, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #5 of 12
Easy. Canon 85is. Thinnest is Canon Ixus range. !0 megapixel. It has an optical viewfinder (my main criteria) 2.5" screen. 3x zoom. Sells in Australia for around $280.

I haven't used one. Not knowing of its existence, i bought the next model down, the 80IS for each of my parents at Christmas. It's slightly fatter and not as slick looking as the 85 IS. It has a 3x zoom, viewfinder and 8 megapixels. Takes great pictures. The 80is i bought were made in Japan so probably the 85IS is tooThey sell for around $250 so the choice is obvious for the extra 30 or so.

Canon Digital IXUS 85 IS Review - Digital Camera Reviews - TrustedReviews

7495-CanonIXUS85IS3quart.jpg

Jan 10, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #6 of 12
Kinda mystified why you set a minimum megapixel limit if you don't care about IQ.

Either way, the Sony DSC-T700 is right up your alley. Slick as hell, meets your min specs, and takes mostly acceptable pictures to boot. About as close as you can get to the Apple design philosophy as it replaces most of the buttons with a large rear panel LCD and features the "machined from a block of aluminum" aesthetic that Apple seems to be going for lately. Also Apple like in that it comes in a variety of colors,

Jan 10, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #7 of 12
If you want flash (I mean flash as in style, not flash as in light flash), nothing beats Sony. They have the most stylish camera by a large margin.
That's the example when looks come first, taking actual pictures second.

Jan 10, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 12
Based on advice I received in the Nikon thread from members I just got the Panasonic FX-35. It was $179. You do need to pick up a memory card as the internal memory limits your picture taking. I just got it so no first hand info on picture quality but from all I read it is a good camera and it fits nicely in ones pocket.

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #11 of 12
Another vote for the Canon IXUS 85is, or the 90is if you like a more retro look.

The styling, button layout and size of these cameras are great.

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #12 of 12
Forgot to add - also have a look at the Sony cybershot T series.
These are very sharp looking but are more expensive (on average) than the Canon IXUS series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back