Compact, Active 2.0
May 27, 2014 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bencho

New Head-Fier
Hello!

What are all the alternatives to the A2+?
I'm looking for something in the same size range. Reviews are up and down on the A2+ and I'm biased towards them as I have the A5+.
With that said, I'm open to try new things out. Otherwise I'm probably going to just settle and get them in about a week or so~

Thanks,

Ben

May 27, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #2 of 7
The reason that reviews are up and down is because they have small drivers, and small drivers are limited in producing good bass response and in dynamics at higher volumes. So the A2 design is a compromise over speakers with larger drivers. If you are stuck going that small, those are perhaps your best choice at that price.

May 27, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #4 of 7
@cel4141
Oh? Well that seems rather obvious lol. Smaller drivers won't be able to compete and that's probably the reason for modifying the bass specs. I used to have the A5+ on my desk but now have no room for them so looking to downsizing. I know there is a trade off but if that's the only reason, then maybe there are no other competitors in this market.

I have the Swan M10 in the pipe but it's been backordered since March :frowning2:

@Torai
If you can fit them in your room/on your desk, bigger is better.

May 27, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #6 of 7
That ultimately depends on what your ears can discern.
I'm sure the A2+ can reproduce the highs (and maybe mids) very well but it will be lacking on the low end. If that's not a concern, then they are the more economical route.
Both probably don't do too well at low volumes. If that is your primary constraint, headphones will be your best bet.

If headphones are a no-go, then give both of them a trial. AE does 30 days auditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back