Commuter Solution
Oct 21, 2001 at 1:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

roll-man

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings from Berserkley, CA. I am a brand new member and this is my first post. I'm happy that I stumbled onto this very cool community. I am looking to get some ideas for a commuting situation. I pretty much have my home situation in order with my Senn 580's. I'm looking for something to satisfy my daily train commute. I'm looking to prevent my stuff from getting out and outside noise from getting in. I'll be using my Panasonic SL-SX500 and my Total Airhead Amp. The obvious choice is the Ety ER4S, but I really don't want to spend that much. My commute is only about a 1/2 hour each way on BART. Recently, my job description changed at work and now I rarely travel on business. So, my airtravel is basically limited to the one or two vacations I might take in a given year. Also, I get to work from home as much as 4 days per week some weeks, so I really don't want to spend the dough on the Ety's. For that matter, I've pretty much ruled out the beyer dt831 and dt250-80 as well. If only SR-60's were closed....At this point, I'm sort of looking at Senn 25SP's. Best bang for buck, durable and briefcase friendly (i believe the earpieces rotate to lie flat). So there you have it...Your thoughts? Am I sacrificing too much? Should I bite the bullet and buy the ety's (I really can't afford them) Is there something else out there that I'm missing? Thanks for your interest...sorry for being so wordy.

Oct 21, 2001 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 28
You know, if you go for the etys, you probably could sell the HD580s since you probably will replace them
tongue.gif

The Sony MDR-EX70 is another option, earbud and low impedance, <$50, its an ety-wannabe (but not even close).

Also the Sony MDR-V6 is an option, full sized and low impedance... ~$80 and is very good.

Oct 21, 2001 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 28
I've pretty much ruled out earbuds. I think I fit into the 10% that find them uncomfortable. I've used them before and found them downright painful.

Oct 21, 2001 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 28
you've used earbuds or canalphones?

Because - the discomforts they cause are different
smily_headphones1.gif

So...chances are you won't mind the EX70 or Ety, though you may hate earbuds....

Oct 21, 2001 at 2:24 AM Post #7 of 28
Hmm...lookin at your request again, the Senn. model you mentioned is a seemingly good buy - BUT...

i've heard the EX70 - and portably, it blocks out SOME background noise and has a nice, slightly dark presentation that I wasn't too fond of. Not bad, but certainly nothing compared to your 580s....

The V6 is the logical choice - highly respected at these boards, and not too expensive. Betailed, too. And fairly good at isolating.

biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2001 at 2:51 AM Post #10 of 28
Just a note, I hate earbuds too (uncomfortable), but the EX70 and Etymotics have been the most comfortable earphones I have heard. If you hate earbuds, it does not necessairly carry for canalphones.

Oct 21, 2001 at 3:28 AM Post #12 of 28
Not necessarily... more like an emphatic vote of approval for the V6s. More people here have heard the V6s as opposed to the 25s, so that's what they recommend. From the few opinions I've read of the 25s, the jury is kinda split on whether they're worth it.

Oct 21, 2001 at 4:48 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by roll-man
that's SR60 -- sorry...typo.

roll-man, you can edit your posts by clicking on the little "edit" button underneath.

As for my reccomendation, I wholeheartedly reccomend the Beyerdynamic DT250-80. They're easy to power, will work fine with the total airhead, isolate a lot of noise, are comfortable, and sound absolutely teriffic. Why are you ruling them out? They're IMO far superior to the Sony V6.

Oct 21, 2001 at 4:56 AM Post #14 of 28
Neruda, as you can see in roll-man's original post in this thread, he ruled out the Beyer DT250-80's because he REALLY didn't want to spend more than $100 on commuting headphones! (Even if the DT250-80's were shipped from Germany directly to where he lives, after rather exorbitant shipping charges have been added.)

BTW, what's the lowest price (shipped) for the DT250-80's? Headroom charges about $160 to $170 plus shipping for them - which is much more than what he wants to spend.

Oct 21, 2001 at 5:48 AM Post #15 of 28
He never said that he didn't want to spend more than $100, all he said was that he didn't want to spend as much as $275 (or thereabouts) for etymotics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back