common (English) spelling/grammar errors that bug me
Jun 2, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #91 of 119
I don't see any problem using slangs in writing besides formal ones. In fact if you read Charles Dickens novels, you will find lots of them, because different words can portray people in different social classes.

Also today you can hear a lot people especially teens use word "go" to mean "say", such as "then he goes, 'that's dumb'."

Jun 2, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #92 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort
I'm going to use this space to rack up some free posts since this thread is so lame that nobody will actually be reading this far in except parhaps the thread starter.

did you mean, "perhaps"?

Jun 2, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #93 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
I don't see any problem using slangs in writing besides formal ones. In fact if you read Charles Dickens novels, you will find lots of them, because different words can portray people in different social classes.

Also today you can hear a lot people especially teens use word "go" to mean "say", such as "then he goes, 'that's dumb'."

There is a big difference between Dickens using slang and the average person these days. He used slang as a literary tool, most of us use slang because we're either too lazy or too ignorant to properly write out a sentence.

Jun 2, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #94 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort
I'm going to use this space to rack up some free posts since this thread is so lame that nobody will actually be reading this far in except parhaps the thread starter.

What's lamer? A lame thread or someone threadcrapping in that thread. What was the point of that post? Did it make you feel better about yourself?

Jun 3, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #95 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graz
You chose an interesting example...widespread misuse of words like "alot" vs. "a lot" does have a net effect. The commonly used (albeit wrong) version ends up becoming the norm, and subsequently dictionaries are (on occasion) updated to reflect the more commonly used version. All languages evolve over time. I"m guessing it would be a trip listening to the spoken English language of 300 years ago.

Peace,

Graz

Just rent any movie that was made from a story by Shakespeare and you will see what English sounded like back then. Or just read the bible or read any Shakespeare book and listen to the way you sound.

There ya go!

Can someone, anyone PLEASE tell me what 'pwned' means? I am too old to know this stuff (36 and counting). Thank you!

Jun 3, 2006 at 7:08 AM Post #96 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeerkaas
lol @ LFF

biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi
LFF, why are you intentionally creating needless work for the grammar police? You’re toying with our spider senses!

very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
LFF - nice post! man, that was hard to read!

Thanks. I thought you would enjoy it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 3, 2006 at 2:27 PM Post #97 of 119
What is congradulations? Is that congrats + adulations?
confused.gif

and another one I see a lot is "than/then" although sometimes it's just a typo.
Quote:

Originally Posted by imho
Can someone, anyone PLEASE tell me what 'pwned' means? I am too old to know this stuff (36 and counting). Thank you!

imho, 36 is not too old to know what pwned means, imho
wink.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwned

Jun 3, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #98 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks

I think this is the point of writing correctly. If you don't do it you may be seen as someone in a lower social class. I guess you could say you're making a Dickens out of yourself.

Jun 3, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #100 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by TenaciousO
I absolutely go nuts when I hear someone misuse "I" in a sentence, as in, "The prizes were awarded to him and I." Unfortunately, I'm hearing it more and more these days.

this bugs I, too.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 4, 2006 at 12:13 PM Post #103 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graz
Sometimes I wonder how long it will take before online chat/forum abbreviations will make it into to the actual spoken English language. It's not too hard to envision a day when "lol" will legitimately be in the dictionary as a recognized English word.

Peace,

Graz

I read an article in USA Today about the explosion in text messaging and how college kids that are addicted to it have been heard incorporating the shortcuts into their speech.

Jul 17, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #104 of 119
Okay...this is a bit tough for me...

So i am teaching a wonderful group of new Yorkers the fantastical and funness and whatever of grammar!! Tomorrow I am teaching a lesson on possessive nouns and specifically its it's and all that.

I find this stuff terribly boring.

so I come to headfi for fun release into the world of headphonage...only to find a thread on what?! This is sillyness, I’m going to bed!

Jul 17, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #105 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg
Plim-plizzle, my nizzle, don' foget bouts tha six-fo, chuch, dawg up in da hood, chilly my grilly. fo sho!

Do you even know what you just said?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back