Common BS from audio companies?
Jun 8, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #18 of 83
As someone also relatively new to the hobby, I had to get used to the improvements or differences being really incremental and sometimes very subtle. Far more than any marketing would lead you to believe.
There are certainly night/day moments, but they are few and most differences take attentiveness and concentration to notice. Although this can initially be frustrating, I found it eventually becomes satisfying and an indication that you are "getting" the hobby. Then you can develop your taste (for example, I discovered I generally prefer warmer signatures) to add even more satisfaction.

Jun 8, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #19 of 83
Wireless direct implants to the otic nerve. With people on Head-Fi arguing about whether the purple ones have a more royal sound.
Literal "head"-fi. or would that be brain-fi?

Jun 8, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #21 of 83
I'm looking to get into the audio scene and I was just wondering if there's any stuff i should take with a grain of salt when reading about audio equipment.

if there's already a post for this, feel free to tell me and link it
Common BS from audio companies >>> FIFY
I removed the question mark from your question and made it a fact

Jun 9, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #22 of 83
Wireless direct implants to the otic nerve. With people on Head-Fi arguing about whether the purple ones have a more royal sound.
that would actually be pretty cool, to be honest

Jun 12, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #24 of 83
I automatically buy anything that has a "hi-res" sticker on it. Also, make sure it's "music, the way the artist intended."

But in all seriousness, nothing will replace your own ears and your own enjoyment. I tend to read both subjective audio reviews (along with all the embellishment) as well as the science based reviews when looking into audio gear. Some of my favorite amps of all time are tube based, and don't measure well. But...I love the way they sound. So for me, all of the flowery review language would apply.

The bottom line is that nothing is going to replace your own opinion. Listen to the sound science forum, listen to the subjective reviews, just don't let them replace what you hear and enjoy.

Jun 13, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #25 of 83
The BS from some Head-Fi reviewers is comparable to that from many audio companies.
let's change the question a bit, what do I need to look out for in terms of head-fi reviewers?

Jun 13, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #26 of 83
Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #27 of 83
A lot of new products are hailed on arrival with wildly enthusiastic reviews. It's worth waiting a bit to see if the hype holds up as other people -- people who have purchased them instead of receiving them as selected reviewers -- offer opinions after the initial honeymoon has ended. Skepticism is sensible.

Jun 13, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #29 of 83
A lot of new products are hailed on arrival with wildly enthusiastic reviews. It's worth waiting a bit to see if the hype holds up as other people -- people who have purchased them instead of receiving them as selected reviewers -- offer opinions after the initial honeymoon has ended. Skepticism is sensible.
I'll bear that in mind

Jun 13, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #30 of 83
I start with the use of inflated language. Here's an example of a review I dismissed for this reason:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/rose-technics-qt-9-mk2s.25851/reviews#review-28586

Others may certainly disagree.
I am one of the others that disagree. While flowery language can be overdone I think it is difficult to hit the sweet spot between too much and too little. It is just as useless to see a review with so little in it that you’re left with nothing.

Also, while I’m sure feedback is appreciated by the reviewers here on headfi, calling them out for “BS” is in bad taste imho. As I have no formal reviews posted, I would never do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back