Commodore 64 question... you do remember those? :)
Oct 8, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #16 of 35
My 30 year old Commodore filing cabinets are still going strong.
smily_headphones1.gif
If they had of stuck with that, they'd likely still be in business today. Not many know that Commodore was originally a large Toronto-based office furniture manufacturer before they got into calculators and then computers.
IMG_9283.jpg

Oct 8, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #17 of 35
Back when they were current, I couldn't afford one. I was very jealous of those I saw making use of such advanced technology.
tongue.gif

Oct 8, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #19 of 35
I spent many, many hours as a kid playing games on the trusty C64. My faves:

- Sid Meiers Pirates!
- Sim City (original version)
- Raid over Moscow
- Summer, Winter, and California Games
- Hardball
- One on One
- Commando
- Krakout
- Spy Hunter
- Pitfall
- R-type

good times!
biggrin.gif

Edit: how did I forget 'Strip Poker'

Oct 8, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #20 of 35
Loved it so much... my first real gaming computer was the Commodore 64.

(Although, funny I do recall playing things like adventure and castle or something like that on the old AT&T mainframes since my Uncle used to work for them when I was really young)

But games games and more games:

Zork!!!
Jumpman
Jumpman jr.
B.C.'s Quest or Tires
Tapper
Castle Wolfenstein
Beyond Castle Wolfenstein
Raid over Moscow
Raid on Bungeling Bay
One on One (The original w/ Dr. J baby!)
Two on Two
Summer Games I & II / Winter Games
Track and Field
MISL (Major Indoor Soccer League)
Temple of / Gateway to Apshai and others in the series
Ultima I - V
Bard's Tale I - III
Other rpg's for sure...

Anyone remember the game Decathalon? In order to make your guy run in any of the events, you had to repeatedly shake the joystick left and right really fast (similar to some events on track and field and summer games). Remember the 1600m race in Decathalon (the one that had the sprint section for the last few hundred meters at the end)...all the blisters on your hands the broken joysticks and the pain of winning and losing... lol I still do.

Oct 8, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #21 of 35
t_t_g: Splendid list. I'd like to add Blue Max, Wizard of Wor, Master of the Lamps, Space Taxi, M.U.L.E., Castles of Dr. Creep, Beach Head I & II, Stellar 7, G.I. Joe (Turn the disk over ! ... Jo Joe! *lol*), Parallax, Alleycat, Paradroid - just to name a few...
wink.gif
And Loderunner! And Pitfall - if only for the most annoying music ever!
smily_headphones1.gif
No blisters on my side, though - the trick was to use a Quickshot II instead of the otherwise much preferable Competition Pro joystick, grab it by the base and shake the whole thing instead of rattling the stick itself like mad.
tongue.gif

GR19: I'd recommend to try sidplay2w - and download the HVSC sid collection to go with it.

GSWO: My first Amiga was a 500, too - I sold that later on to buy my first x86 machine (a 386(DX)/20 running good old MS-DOS 3.3...), but I've also kept my second Amiga. That's a 2000(B) with a lot of upgrades and hardware tweaks - like the A2630 68030/68882 turbo & ram card, Nexus scsi hdd & ram card (mounted on it a 105 MB Quatum drive), Commodore genlock interface, Commodore AT 80286/287 card & 1.2 MB 5 1/4" floppy, second internal 880k 3.5 " floppy, external 880k 5 1/4 " floppy, lots of switches for Big/Fat Agnus address line (i.e. 512kB/1 mB chip mem selection), second floppy enable/disable, switchable Kickstart versions, enable/disable for the fast mem on the Nexus card, enable/disable of the high-cut filter on the board... But I really have to exchange the NiCd cell for the real time clock these days - I hope it hasn't leaked too badly already. And it's a nasty job, 'cause to desolder that thingy, one has to disassemble the machine almost completely (~ 20 screws just for holding the huge board... and then my extra cable salad with all the extra drives and litzes running from the switch panel to various places on the board and several cards...) - oh my... But I guess the occasional round of Rick Dangerous alone is worth keeping the whole mess.
wink.gif

And I've got an SX64, too. Lovely. My precious.
biggrin.gif

Grinnings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Oct 9, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #22 of 35
My husband had an A500 for the longest time. We still have it, in the attic...probably still works. Ok so it wasn't the fastest, but it was still current even '98, and at that time would run circles around a pc for 3d rendering at home. The OS was slicker than Windows, and more useful than Mac Os. Oh, and it ran Amiga Workbench, Mac Os 7, and Debian. That was a sweet sweet machine.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd like to add here that he did some modifications under the roof. Nothing that two hands and a screwdriver can't get done, but I'm unclear as to what exactly, since those mods were before I was here.

edit - woooops, that's what I get for using the google image search. Just asked the hubby, and it was an A1200...with the modifications that he's too tired to list.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #23 of 35
Is it me or the commodore brand name seem to do better in europe than US?

I mean products like the C64 and the Amiga series.

I remember the days of the Amiga series that was a lot of fun. After owning a c64 i owned an A500.

I thought it was great. I wished I still kept it to play speedball 2 and supercars 2. Oh and stunt car racer.

lini>Thanks for the recommendation of that sid player. I managed to get the 100 top tunes to work but I can;t get the other sid compilation download to work. Rob Hubbard, Martin Galway, Ben Daglish we salute you
rs1smile.gif

And Rambo game soundstrack on the CBM 64 0wn3d and r0ll3d
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 9:14 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
t_t_g: Splendid list. I'd like to add Blue Max, Wizard of Wor, Master of the Lamps, Space Taxi, M.U.L.E., Castles of Dr. Creep, Beach Head I & II, Stellar 7, G.I. Joe (Turn the disk over ! ... Jo Joe! *lol*), Parallax, Alleycat, Paradroid - just to name a few...
wink.gif
And Loderunner! And Pitfall - if only for the most annoying music ever!
smily_headphones1.gif
No blisters on my side, though - the trick was to use a Quickshot II instead of the otherwise much preferable Competition Pro joystick, grab it by the base and shake the whole thing instead of rattling the stick itself like mad.
tongue.gif

Ahh great stuff, Lini! Yea, I remember G.I. Joe
smily_headphones1.gif
I can't believe I didn't name that the first time around... a couple more I remembered: Archon I & II, Alternate Reality, Wasteland (WHAT A GAME! "Evidently this guy doesn't like the way you part your hair..."), Seven Cities of Gold, Impossible Mission, Juice (just thinking of that guy hopping around...lol), Pool of Radiance, Dragonwars, Championship Wrestling (Purple Haze!), Barbarian, Forbidden Forest, Karate Champ, Bruce Lee (with the ninja and the fat green guy in it)... and there was this racing game with some crazy jumps in it (I remember the music played was from Bach) but I can't think of what that game was called...

Load "*",8,1
tongue.gif

(Edit: Nice! Found a game list on Wiki)

Oct 9, 2006 at 9:23 AM Post #25 of 35
That could be. I remember when I was first here visiting in '96, the power supply stopped working, and we were able to go to a local computer store and just get a new one. The Amiga is still around too, new software still being written, I even just priced an a1200 refurb with an 80gb hd, usb and 802.11b, so it's all still possible.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19

I remember the days of the Amiga series that was a lot of fun. After owning a c64 i owned an A500.

I thought it was great. I wished I still kept it to play speedball 2 and supercars 2. Oh and stunt car racer.

lini>Thanks for the recommendation of that sid player. I managed to get the 100 top tunes to work but I can;t get the other sid compilation download to work. Rob Hubbard, Martin Galway, Ben Daglish we salute you
rs1smile.gif

wink.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 9:50 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
That could be. I remember when I was first here visiting in '96, the power supply stopped working, and we were able to go to a local computer store and just get a new one. The Amiga is still around too, new software still being written, I even just priced an a1200 refurb with an 80gb hd, usb and 802.11b, so it's all still possible.
wink.gif

At the time I gave mine away to a family friend who needed it as they were just became a law partner with a big firm.

I never had any issues when i had the Amiga it was very reliable. Also at the time when I had an Amiga I was at college and they were using 386 with windows 3.1. Oh the humanity.

At the time I thought the Amiga OS was very good and with it Workbench made it less of a nightmare to use than the Windows based offering.

How I wished to upgrade to the A3000 at the time with it 68030 architecture. Unfortunately it was wildly expensive.

What made me laugh was I had some sort of PC emulation software and it did it nearly as fast as the 386 based systems. So I use to do my homework assignments which were PC based on my Amiga instead.

When they switched to the A600 and A1200 I never bothered upgrading. But then I never got a PC based sytem to replace it either. It's only in these past few years that I started to use a PC.

I remember when I had the mods done to my A500 and it had a full 1mb RAM. My friend who had a similar A500 albeit an older revision couldn't get the Ram mod to work he was not impressed.

All hail the Rock lobster revisions
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 10:40 AM Post #27 of 35
Add; Exploding Fist!, International Karate, Delta, Forbidden Forrest, H.E.R.O, Apocalypse, Wizball, Racing Construction Set, Speedball, Xenon, Tim Dailys (?) Dechatlon, Manic Miner, Speedball, Karateka...

Those were the good old times! Just thinking about these games brings back the slighly burnt electronics smell coming from my little travel TV i used for a screen.

However i found that those old games are memories best left as is - loading any of them up on an emulator sort of ruins that memory for me. Cuz then you realize how utterly craptastic these games are compared to today.

Now - which joystick was your fav on the C64? For me i couldnt play with anything but the mighty little KRAFT joystick! First version was black with a red button, later versions were beige with black stick, red button and that 4-8 way switch on the underside.

Oct 9, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

It sure did. The Amiga sold best in Finland, Germany, Italy and the UK, afaik. And Commodore Germany over in Braunschweig was comparatively important these days - iirc, they've designed the A2000 (at least the initial A model). And there generelly were quite a few hardware manufacturers for the C64 and Amiga in Europe at that time. But that popularity might also have to do with the fact that Apples used to be way overpriced in Europe then...

Quote:

rs1smile.gif

wink.gif

You mean the big HVSC collection with some 45 MB? I just unzipped that, keeping the subdirectory structure of the zip (takes a while, though - especially on a notebook with slow harddrive, and the zip handling of Windows Explorer doesn't seem to be the fastest, either...) - and then I set sidplay2w accordingly under "Settings"/"HVSC"...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Oct 9, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #29 of 35
What I remember most about the Amiga was the demo disks as in people coding their own demos and stuff. Doing their own graphics and making their own tunes up.

There use to be loads of them.

Lini>Okay I will try unzipping that huge archive again.

The one thing I never got for my Amiga which I had alwyas hoped to get was the scsi hard drive.

I spent the whole morning listening to some of the old c64 tunes. The nostalgist in me really enjoyed them.

Oct 9, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #30 of 35
"Bard's Tale"...I remember that one. Anyone ever do the trick where you could repeatedly split up and combine your stash of arrows, and then magically you would have a "Bag +2" in your inventory. The bag was ridiculously powerful...slaying people with one hit.

Anyway, someone mentioned Hard Ball! I almost forgot about that one. My brother and I used to have historic battles...I was always the blue team (remember the 4th hitter, Euler?) and he was red. That was our favorite head-to-head game...until the Nintendo came out and along came Tecmo Bowl.

I can't help but be a little jealous of kids these days who get to start out with consoles like the 360, PS2, etc. It's really incredible how fast gaming has progressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back