Commodore 64 question... you do remember those? :)
Oct 7, 2006 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

InSides

100+ Head-Fier
I was rummaging through our basement last night and stumbled upon my C64 collection. I guess it is a collection since there are three C64's and a bunch of tape and 1541 drives in theres. As well as a myriad of joysticks. Brings back sweet memories...

Anyways - I remember seeing a photo on the net a couple of years ago about a redesigned C64 machine. This was done by some European company [should I remember correctly] and featured a modern CPU, a Linux variant for a OS, the familiar C64 form factor with a inclusion of a touch pad, built-in multitasking, browser and mail reader as well as a emulator for BASIC V2. Should I remember correctly, the website that featured this photo was www.commodore64.com.

I guess that machine never made it out to the public. Sadly, the site is no longer up - and was wondering - any of you guys know where I can find photos and/or information of that prototype anywhere?

Oct 8, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 35
FYI, there's emulators out there for Windows, and probably Macs as well. Allows you to play all those 64 games with your current OS. Good times. "Skate or Die!" was no joke.

Oct 8, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #4 of 35
Your post brought back some fond memories ... spent many, many hours on a Commodore Amiga 3000. It was some graphics machine in it's day ... especially as IBM and Macs at that time were both monochrome (although I doubt many people remember those days
tongue.gif
).

And then there was the Commodore Vic 20.
wink.gif

Oct 8, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #6 of 35
Oh Man what a thread!!!!!

I of course had a cbm64 then upgraded to an amiga 500.

But what I remember most about those two compared to their competitors was the sound chip.

I just loved the cbm64 SID chip against the ghastly sinclair spectrum sound.

Then when I got the amiga that was an improvement but hearing an Atari St sound wasn't gonna trouble an amiga.

Hmm I should go look for some of those music from the games and stuff on the net.

Did any of you try the catridges?

They were pretty neat. No longer having to sit there for 15 minutes to see if revenge of the mutant llama had loaded without crashing or operation wolf.

Oct 8, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #7 of 35
Ah, the old Wizard of Wor Cartridge....

And you tell kids today that you had to watch the "Turbo Load" Graphics whilst the game loaded from a cassette tape, and they won't believe you.

Good Times.

Mind you, these days there are things like *cough* MAME *cough*.
Try googling C64 Emulator.

Oct 8, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grahame
Ah, the old Wizard of Wor Cartridge....

And you tell kids today that you had to watch the "Turbo Load" Graphics whilst the game loaded from a cassette tape, and they won't believe you.

Good Times.

Mind you, these days there are things like *cough* MAME *cough*.
Try googling C64 Emulator.

I had lazarian and jupiter lander on catridge.

well I do think turbo load was a little optimistic as half the time you didn't know of it had been suceesful until the tape automatically ran out and stopped by itself!

I remember Ninja that was excellent.

Remember Raid over moscow, Jet set willy 2 and so many more I have forgotten about.

Oct 8, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #11 of 35
I'll have to re-read that site when I have time. Seems strange. I know it's a different machine, but "C64" with only 16MB or 32MB memory!? -- and "C64 emulator"? ... EMULATOR? Where's the C64?

Definitely have to re-read it. Have to re-read it. Definitely have to re-read it. Definitely. Preferrabley when it's raining -- and Judge Wapner is not on the tube.

Oct 8, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #13 of 35
"Elite" is where it was at.

Most of the remaining game time - it was "Led Storm" for me. Don't ask why though... I remember trashing several joysticks on that one.

However - I will remember the C64 most as my first real investment. I sold my first software design developed right there on the C64. I believe the company I sold it to may still use it - believe it or not.

Never really looked at the C64 primarilly as a gaming system.

Oct 8, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gord SW Ont
Your post brought back some fond memories ... spent many, many hours on a Commodore Amiga 3000. It was some graphics machine in it's day ... especially as IBM and Macs at that time were both monochrome (although I doubt many people remember those days
tongue.gif
).

Hmmm, not really... The Amiga 3000 appeared in 1990. The usual thing for x86 PCs at that time was a Tseng ET3000/4000 VGA card, and the first ET4000 versions with high-colour dac appeared not much later... One can safely claim that the Amiga had already lost its advantage in terms of graphics by then. Unfortunately...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Oct 8, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Posted by Lini:
Hmmm, not really... The Amiga 3000 appeared in 1990. The usual thing for x86 PCs at that time was a Tseng ET3000/4000 VGA card, and the first ET4000 versions with high-colour dac appeared not much later... One can safely claim that the Amiga had already lost its advantage in terms of graphics by then. Unfortunately...

You're right about the precise timing ... but I started on the Amiga 500 a few years earlier and I recall that when I tried to explain the sound and graphics capabilities of it to the computer whizs at work I remember them saying ... why would you want sound and colours on a computer??? Boy, if they could only have seen how computers have changed since that time.
biggrin.gif

I enjoyed that computer and ultimately upgraded to the A3000 which I still have packed away in my basement (just can't bring myself to throw it out
tongue.gif
).

Spent many wonderful moments on that computer using inexpensive graphics software, such as, Deluxe Paint, Art Department Professional, Imagine, Lightwave 3D, etc, etc.

P.S. When I mention the Amiga I usually condense the facts a little as it's rare that anyone I talk to has ever heard the word "Amiga" much less knows what it was and what it could do.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back