Comments on the headbanger amp?
Feb 11, 2004 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

norwegiansnowman

New Head-Fier
Do anybody have any comments on the Headbanger amp (http://www.minidisc.org/headbanger.html). I am going to use it together with my 3rd gen iPod and a pair of sony mdr-v6. My father is an engineer, which means he is able to build the amp (I am only 15). The amp gets really cheap this way.

Will there be any use in adding an amp to my kit? If yes, is the Headbanger good enough for a newbie, or are there better alternatives?
confused.gif

Feb 17, 2004 at 5:51 AM Post #3 of 6
The consensus on this forum is that the Headbanger adds volume, but not the kind of sound quality iimprovement that we look for in a headphone amplifier. A Cmoy amp adds volume AND improves the quality of sound in the ways that headphone users enjoy. The Cmoy amp, originally designed by Chu Moy, is also small, portable and powered by a 9-volt battery. There is a DIY Forum here at Head-Fi on which you can get a good quality of pointers and help in getting started building a Cmoy amp.

Feb 17, 2004 at 6:01 AM Post #4 of 6
The consensus on this forum is that the Headbanger adds volume, but not the kind of sound quality iimprovement that we look for in a headphone amplifier. A Cmoy amp adds volume AND improves the quality of sound in the ways that headphone users enjoy. The Cmoy amp, originally designed by Chu Moy, is also small, portable and powered by a 9-volt battery. There is a DIY Forum here at Head-Fi on which you can get a good quality of pointers and help in getting started building a Cmoy amp.

Feb 17, 2004 at 6:14 AM Post #5 of 6
Sorry for the duplicate post, guys. I was having problems with my network connection. I tried to delete the duplicate post, but I was not allowed to. Again, sorry.

Feb 17, 2004 at 6:15 AM Post #6 of 6
One more vote for something else. The Headbanger reviews I have seen were not glowing over the quality so I would think you might be better off with one of the other DIY amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back